Old September 4th 04, 10:57 PM
Andrey

Default horizontally polarized antenna over ground plane

Greetings to all the antenna experts here!

I want to create horizontally polarized antenna, low profile, located above
large ground plane. And I need it to be omnidirectional (sort of) and have
sufficient gain in horizontal plane.

My frequency of interest is 900 MHz. The ground plane is a roof of a car.

I tried loops, from 50 to 300 mm diameter, radiation goes up if I mount it
above the ground plane.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Andrey

Old September 5th 04, 10:46 AM
KC1DI

Andrey wrote:
Greetings to all the antenna experts here!

I want to create horizontally polarized antenna, low profile, located above
large ground plane. And I need it to be omnidirectional (sort of) and have
sufficient gain in horizontal plane.

My frequency of interest is 900 MHz. The ground plane is a roof of a car.

I tried loops, from 50 to 300 mm diameter, radiation goes up if I mount it
above the ground plane.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Andrey

Good Morning Andrey,

What you are proposing is not an easy task any horizontal antenna placed
close to a good ground plain is going to have most of it's signal at
90 degrees. ( Straight up) Until the antenna is at least 1/2 wave above
the ground plan. at that point it will start to show radiation to the
horizon. EZNEC shows max gain at 30 degrees to the horizon for a 1/2
wave horizontal dipole mounted 1/2 wave above perfect ground and the
pattern looks somewhat like a peanut shape. if you move the antenna up
to 1 fullwave length above the ground plain then the patern does not
change much but the elevation angle dose you then get a good lobe at 15
degrees and another at 45 degrees. hope this is of some help.
Dave kc1di
Old September 5th 04, 06:42 PM
Andrey

Thank you Dave,

for sharing with me results of your simulation. I got similar results. The
thing that works is slit pipe (Alford's slot, see
http://www.eta.chalmers.se/~pgp/alfo...lford_eng.html for example)

Pipe works over ground plane as well (not as well, beam gets lifted, stll
there is enough energy looking on the horizon). It is such a cumbersome
thing though - looks funny on car's roof. Not of ractical use.

And I still can not find anything else that does it.

Regards,

Andrey Gleener

Old September 6th 04, 08:02 AM
Theplanters95

Have you tried an halo or loop antenna? M2 Antenna's and Par Electronics makes
them. Homebrew plans are on the net.

The halo is a 1/2 wave dipole bent into a circle. Common designs use 1 turn,
but 3 turn halo's have been used, with more gain. Stacking 2 halo's also
provide additional gain. Weak signal operaters on VHF and UHF use them mobile
on a regular basis.

Randy ka4nma
Old September 6th 04, 03:52 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Theplanters95" wrote in message
Have you tried an halo or loop antenna? M2 Antenna's and Par Electronics

makes
them. Homebrew plans are on the net.

The halo is a 1/2 wave dipole bent into a circle. Common designs use 1

turn,
but 3 turn halo's have been used, with more gain. Stacking 2 halo's also
provide additional gain. Weak signal operaters on VHF and UHF use them

mobile
on a regular basis.

Randy ka4nma

Two points of clarification. The PAR design is not a half wave antenna. It
is longer than a half wave- that length combined with the isosceles triangle
shape yields an excellent omni pattern and a bit more BW

The 3 loop haloes were not 3 turns. The loops were configured as a folded
dipole in order to increase the inherently low feedpoint R (10-15 Ohms) of a
single loop. There is no increase in gain from doing this.

Dale W4OP

Old September 9th 04, 06:22 AM
Theplanters95

Hi Dale,

Are you saying that the old saturn halo was not 3 loops? It sure looks like it
in the pictures that I have seen.

I know that your design (the Par Omniangle) is not the classic 1/2 wave halo,
and does offer more advantages over a halo. I sure wish I had a 2m and 6m for
the upcoming VHF contest.

Randy ka4nma