Old September 23rd 04, 06:16 PM
Richard Clark

Default Making a simple antenna

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:10:16 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

To get the wavelength, divide 300 by the
number of MHz.

I should have said the resulting number would the length in Meters.
For example with your
400MHz = 75cM
900MHz = 33cM
the elaborate answer would tend toward:
400MHz = 71 - 72cM
900MHz = 31 - 32cM

Old September 23rd 04, 08:55 PM
Jim Kelley

Richard Clark wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:49:19 -0400, "Jack Painter"
wrote:

So Richard, if
you will kindly put your sword away

Hi Jack,

And remove your opportunity to swing a rusty razor blade? I notice
reciprocity rules even when resistance is offered. I also note the
irony of suppressing such statements as I offer to reduce the chatter,
by offering the increase of chatter in like statements as bait - you
caught this fish! ;-)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And some lack the common sense
to keep it to themselves.

ac6xg
Old September 23rd 04, 09:53 PM
Jack Painter

"Richard Clark" wrote

I am currently listening to a Lewis Lapham talk put on by our local
"Town Hall." 73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard,

Who cares what town hall meetings you listen to? Unsubstantiated crap or the
word of God, on a list where it belongs, or in personal e-mails, you'll find
a sword's edge you have to reckon with, but you waste everyone's time in
rec.radio.xx telling us about it. You have so many valuable opinions and
expertise in several areas, but you're a common flamer when it comes to this
newsgroup lately. Nothing I read in hundreds of your posts before had such
diversions. Will the real radioman please come back?

Best regards,

Jack

Old September 26th 04, 09:04 PM
Chuck

Jack Painter wrote in message news:8JG4d.3993$%t3.731@lakeread01...

Unsubstantiated crap or the word of God

Pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

It seems this NG has gone the way of the
rest: the division between the born-again
zealots vs. the normal folks, and the resulting
degradation in human interaction. What a pity!

The zealots are unintentionally giving the
mega-corps and the mega-rich the power to
virtually run this country. Being in absolute
control of the FCC, what they will eventually
do with the radio spectrum (in the interest of
mega-profits) will not be in the interest of
amateur radio - the BPL boondoggle, is a
precursor and good example of what to
expect from an exclusively neo-con, pro
mega-corp government.

It seems apparent that every so often, we
as a people, must re-learn a valuable lesson:
religion should have no power or influence
in the politics of a democracy!

How are you Bu****es going to react when
you realize you've been duped into helping
turn this country into a plutocracy -
theological or not?

Just my opinion, of course...

Chuck, WA7RAI

Old September 27th 04, 06:47 AM
Theplanters95

As a preacher, a "born-again zealot" as you would call it, please keep your
personal opinions to yourself. This news group is about antennas, not
anti-religion rants.

Randy Ka4nma

Old September 27th 04, 09:49 PM
Chuck

Theplanters95 wrote in message
As a preacher, a "born-again zealot" as you would call it, please keep your
personal opinions to yourself. This news group is about antennas, not
anti-religion rants.

Randy Ka4nma

Hi Randy,

Religious fanaticism is anti liberty, and liberty
is the foundation of American values. To speak
out against this lunacy does not make one anti
religious, just anti fanatic... anti zealot - a
distinction that seems to have evaded you.

The Islamic Jihadist's and terrorists are religious
zealots (fanatics) that hate liberty loving folks
(liberals) every bit as much as you do. Zealots
are zealots, regardless of clothes they wear or
the deity they worship.

Jesus' sermon on the mound, was certainly NOT
about fanaticism... or political power, deception,
and spreading lies about opponents... just the
opposite, in fact!

That said, you should have noticed the topic
of my post was about political ramifications in
regards to ham radio. It was not anti-religious.

Chuck, WA7RAI

Old September 28th 04, 08:07 AM
Theplanters95

Chuck,

If you check American History, you will see a lot of colonies were founded for
religious freedom. As a Baptist, one of our unique features is an emphasis on
religious liberty. We can agree to disagree, but true Chrisitanity seeks
liberty. Also, many of our presidents were Christian or religious. Religious
expression is found in our guiding documents, such as the Dec. of Independence,
and the Constitution.

Islam is not the same as Christianity. Not all religions are the same or teach
the same. Just remember that "theology" can be different, but ethics, such as
the Golden Rule, can be the same.Look at the core beliefs and you will see
major differences. One of the differences is that Islam practices conversion
by the sword. Some misguided Christians in the past have also practiced it,
but as you point out the Sermon on the Mount does not support it.

I am a Christian "fanatic" as it is my job and my passion. It has changed my
life for the better. I vote my Christian beliefs, irregardless of the
political party. And the Bible tells us to pray for the kings over us. Since
we do not have a king, but we can see a principle to pray for our government
leaders - All of them.

It is not lunacy to accept and practice religious belief (and I am talking in
general terms of all the world religions and sects). What is lunacy is to
misapply religion and use for personal gain, to control people or put people
down because of differing beliefs (For more religious discrimination, check out
Islam and Hinduism, and the Eastern Orthodox churches).

As you said, the foundation of American Values is liberty and that includes the
free practice of religious beliefs.

BTW instead of WWJD, WRJU - What Radio would Jesus Use? With all of his
travels, I would guess an FT-817 portable radio. :-)

Randy
Old September 28th 04, 01:47 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:04:18 -0700, "Chuck"
wrote:

The zealots are unintentionally giving the
mega-corps and the mega-rich the power to
virtually run this country. Being in absolute
control of the FCC, what they will eventually
do with the radio spectrum (in the interest of
mega-profits) will not be in the interest of
amateur radio - the BPL boondoggle, is a
precursor and good example of what to
expect from an exclusively neo-con, pro
mega-corp government.

"Now I saw in my dream that Christian and Hopeful forsook Mr. By-ends,
and kept their distance before him; but one of them looking back, saw
three men following Mr. By-ends, and behold, as they came up with him,
he made them a very low bow; and they also gave him a compliment. The
men's names were Mr. Hold-the-world, Mr. Money-love, and Mr. Save-all;
men that Mr. By-ends had formerly been acquainted with; for in their
minority they were schoolfellows, and were taught by one Mr.
Gripe-man, a schoolmaster in Love-gain, which is a market town in the
county of Coveting, in the north. This schoolmaster taught them the
art of getting, either by violence, cozenage, flattery, lying, or by
putting on the guise of religion; and these four gentlemen had
attained much of the art of their master, so that they could each of
them have kept such a school themselves.

"Well, when they had, as I said, thus saluted each other, Mr.
Money-love said to Mr. By-ends, Who are they upon the road before us?
(for Christian and Hopeful were yet within view).

"BY-ENDS. They are a couple of far countrymen, that, after their mode,
are going on pilgrimage.

"MONEY-LOVE. Alas! Why did they not stay, that we might have had
their good company? for they, and we, and you, Sir, I hope, are all
going on pilgrimage.

"BY-ENDS. Why, they, after their headstrong manner, conclude that it
is duty to rush on their journey all weathers; and I am for waiting
for wind and tide. They are for hazarding all for God at a clap; and
I am for taking all advantages to secure my life and estate. They are
for holding their notions, though all other men are against them; but
I am for religion in what, and so far as the times, and my safety,
will bear it. They are for religion when in rags and contempt; but I
am for him when he walks in his golden slippers, in the sunshine, and
with applause."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 28th 04, 04:02 AM
Tom Donaly

wrote:

[...]

This sounds like Pilgrim's Progress. I never thought, in my wildest
dreams, anyone would ever quote it on the internet.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old September 28th 04, 07:43 AM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:02:27 GMT, "Tom Donaly"
wrote:

This sounds like Pilgrim's Progress.

It is.

Hi Tom,

When common sense takes the back seat (or left to hitch-hike home),
fables have often risen in defense against the caprice of arbitrary
power. Literature is rich in regard to the travesty of logic that is
being passed off as the boon of a new age. I could have as easily
found material in the Canterbury Tales, The Decameron, The Song of
Roland, The Poem of the Cid.... The effete nabobs of negativism in
our Administration shrink in sharp contrast to the legendary heroes of
fighting cultures. Bush in his flight suit and helmet reminds me of
that pathetic picture of Dukakis in the Tank - what a matched pair!

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC