Old August 15th 03, 11:32 AM
Steve

Default Westflex 103

I'm currently using this coax with a vertical and I'm very pleased with it.
I am building a 15 ele yagi for 2m and would like to use the Westflex but
I'm concerned that it might be a bit too stiff to use with a rotator mounted
antenna. Has anyone tried this ?

Thanks

Steve

Old August 15th 03, 02:14 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Steve wrote:
I'm currently using this coax with a vertical and I'm very pleased with it.
I am building a 15 ele yagi for 2m and would like to use the Westflex but
I'm concerned that it might be a bit too stiff to use with a rotator mounted
antenna. Has anyone tried this ?

Yes, to my grief. If it's bent sharply, the inner conductor is pushed
sideways and the copper foil tears. Even if you use a very big loop, the
bending still tends to be concentrated into two small areas at the ends
of the loop.

It's better to get down below the rotator loop in a more flexible cable
such as RG213, and then change to the low-loss Westflex for the longer
part of the run.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old August 16th 03, 02:59 AM
Steve

--

Joining the two lengths with 'N' plugs / adaptor ???

Steve

Old August 16th 03, 09:34 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Steve wrote:
It's better to get down below the rotator loop in a more flexible cable
such as RG213, and then change to the low-loss Westflex for the longer
part of the run.

--

Joining the two lengths with 'N' plugs / adaptor ???

Yes - have you already discovered the special tricks for fitting N plugs
to 103, or do you need that information?

(It would be dead simple to show you, but would take a lot of words to
describe.)

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek