Old October 4th 04, 03:21 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Mike

I just used a LARGE Butchers Knife (with addition) and a rubber
mallet.
The addition to the butchers knife was a U shaped steel tube welded to
the side to plant the radials at the same time the slot was cut.
No dirt to fill back in, and little to no visible damage to the lawn.
The rate of burying radials in this fashion was faster than 500 ft per
hour.

TTUL
Gary

Mike Coslo verbositized:

I just got done installing radials for a new antenna, and was distressed
at the amount of time it was taking.

I was looking at some power tools that might speed up the trenching
process. Power edgers looked promising, but were 90 - 100 dollars for
electrical models, and more for the gas powered ones.

Finally I hit on something. I bought an inexpensive electric chainsaw.
I'm sure the neighbors thought I was a lunatic, but trenching for the
radials took surprisingly little time. So I laid all my radials in one
afternoon. It would have taken even less time if there had been an extra
person around to help.

Caveats:

This is of course *dangerous* - don't ever do it!!! Chainsaws are sharp
and nasty.

It wore out the Chainsaw chain. That really isn't a big deal. I'm just
going to save it for the next time I need to trench radials.

The chainsaw needs washed and lubed after trenching.

But it was quick. The radials are in, the post for the vertical is in
and concrete setting as I write.

Just thought I'd share this with the group. I never saw anyone else
saying they did anything similar, so I either stumbled on something, or
I'm completely whacked! ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 5th 04, 08:10 PM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:19:13 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

[...]

You've reinvented the Ditch Witch in a smaller, non-riding
version. Or is the Ditch Witch just a big chainsaw with a seat?

Old October 6th 04, 07:04 PM
Jimmie

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
[...]

I vote WHACKED(LOL)
You were on the right track when you were thinking edger. Rent dont buy,
cost about $20 for a half day. Got my neighbor to go in with me. Edged his
driveway and curb and mine and cut a trench for his low violtage lights.This
all took an extra 30 minutes. He paid the whole $20.