RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna for Marine VHF (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/240507-antenna-marine-vhf.html)

rickman April 21st 17 05:28 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

A kayaking friend was asking me about antennas for marine VHF radios.
Someone recommended this type of antenna.

http://www.amateurradio.bz/2m-70cm_v...e_antenna.html

I guess my first question is what would this be dual band? Is it
because it works over a range from 2 meters to 70 cm? Or is it somehow
tuned for both bands at the same time but not a lot in between?

This antenna would need to be vertically mounted, so would be a little
clumsy sticking three foot up from a kayak. Light weight would be
better than heavier. The construction plans call for stainless steel
material. Any reason to not use aluminum? Is diameter important? To
use aluminum I would want to use something thicker than 1/8 inch and
likely hollow. I believe TV antennas are usually made from 1/4 inch
tubing with maybe 1/16 inch thick walls. I guess that might make it
harder to bend without kinking. Would it be ok to make it with some
sort of couplers for the bends?

--

Rick C

rickman April 21st 17 05:42 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/21/2017 12:28 AM, rickman wrote:
[...]

I guess I should ask if the above antenna has much advantage over a
commercial VHF antenna about the same length like this one or maybe
longer. If the antenna can be lowered when not in use a *much* longer
antenna could be used as kayaks are quite long.

--

Rick C

Rob[_8_] April 21st 17 09:29 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

rickman wrote:
A kayaking friend was asking me about antennas for marine VHF radios.
Someone recommended this type of antenna.

http://www.amateurradio.bz/2m-70cm_v...e_antenna.html

I guess my first question is what would this be dual band? Is it

This is an amateur radio antenna.
For marine VHF, get a marine VHF antenna. Duh.

rickman April 21st 17 02:28 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/21/2017 5:37 AM, Jeff wrote:
On 21/04/2017 05:28, rickman wrote:
[...]

This is an entirely unsuitable for marine VHF on a kayak!!

Firstly it is for the wrong frequency, secondly it is unduly complicated
as it is designed to work on 2 frequency bands (not anywhere in
between), and thirdly if has to be mounted on a pole!!!

I didn't find an explanation of the theory of this antenna. How does it
work on two bands?

As far as not working on the right frequency, that's just a matter of
scaling the dimensions, no? 2 meter band is around 146 MHz and VHF
marine is around 156 MHz. Looks like a small adjustment to me.

This antenna is mounted using a piece of plexiglass. Are you saying the
plexiglass is dimensioned to make the pole part of the antenna? I
didn't see a mention of that in the construction.

I would investigate something like a J-pole for marine band which does
not require a ground-plane. The matching section could be enclosed in a
tube with a s/s whip on top.

S/S because aluminium will corrode with sea water.

Who said anything about salt water use?

I seem to recall the longer marine VHF antennas are a type called
"colinear" where multiple elements are connected essentially end to end.
My understanding is the advantage is that they can get more gain by
being longer.

--

Rick C

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 21st 17 05:47 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:28:47 -0400, rickman wrote:

A kayaking friend was asking me about antennas for marine VHF radios.
Someone recommended this type of antenna.

http://www.amateurradio.bz/2m-70cm_v...e_antenna.html

No. The above antenna is tuned for 144 to 148MHz. Marine band
transmit is from 156.0 to 157.5Mhz transmit, and 161.975 to 162.6Mhz
for AIS and weather. You might be able to retune the Jpole antenna in
the above article, but my guess(tm) is that VWSR at the band edges is
too high. Another reason you don't see Jpole antennas in marine use
is that vertical radiation angle. Jpoles radiate most of their RF at
the horizon and above, not down. With fairly low gain, that's not a
problem with an antenna on the water line as the boat pitches and
rolls. It's a major problem with mast mounted antennas. It would be
better if the vertical radiation pattern was roughly symmetrical as in
this dual Jpole antenna. It would be interesting to see what a model
of this antenna looked like in 4NEC2.

I guess my first question is what would this be dual band? Is it
because it works over a range from 2 meters to 70 cm? Or is it somehow
tuned for both bands at the same time but not a lot in between?

Nope. It relys on the 3rd harmonic of 146Mhz being roughly on 440MHz.
There's usually a complex matching network on dual band antennas to
help keep the VSWR down, but this one apparently lacks even a balun.
For example, this is part of the guts of a Diamond X-50 dual band ham
antenna (after a friend backed his car into it breaking it in half).
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Misc/slides/x50-01.html

This antenna would need to be vertically mounted, so would be a little
clumsy sticking three foot up from a kayak. Light weight would be
better than heavier. The construction plans call for stainless steel
material. Any reason to not use aluminum?

Aluminum is fine. Anodizing might be a problem. Alodyne 1200 is
fine. Most paints are ok. Coat hangers suck. Watch out for
dissimilar metals in contact.

Is diameter important?

Larger outer diameter means wider bandwidth. You can use tubing in
order to get light weight.

use aluminum I would want to use something thicker than 1/8 inch and
likely hollow. I believe TV antennas are usually made from 1/4 inch
tubing with maybe 1/16 inch thick walls.

I'm too lazy to measure mine, but I would guess(tm) 0.5" diameter and
a very thin 0.031 wall diameter. TV needs all the bandwidth it can
get, so fat pipes are needed. The antenna also needs to be light and
cheap, so thin wall with seams is standard for TV.

I guess that might make it
harder to bend without kinking.

We used 6061-T6 for antennas. You can bend it in a tight turn if you
seal the ends and fill the tubing with sand:
http://www.wikihow.com/Bend-Aluminum-Pipe

Would it be ok to make it with some
sort of couplers for the bends?

Sure. The bend does not need to be contiguous. A bar with two holes
drilled in it for the two elements should work (and be adjustable).

Suggestion: Look at various commercial VHF antennas and build
something similar. You'll be amazed at how crude they are inside. One
common antenna (I forgot the maker and model) used a fiberglass radome
with a length of 1/4" wide copper tape stuck to the inside of the tube
for driven elements.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Fred McKenzie April 21st 17 06:51 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

I did not watch the video. I believe the antenna is "dual band" because
it happens to also work on a frequency band that is three times the
basic frequency. In other words, 146 and 440. That does not appear to
make any difference with regard to the Marine VHF band. You would
simply scale the dimensions by the ratio of the Two Meter frequency to
the Marine band frequency, 146/156.

That said, the antenna in the article does not appear to be the best
choice for your application. The "J-Pole" antenna Jeff suggested would
be my choice. Do some research on the J-Pole, but remember to design it
for 156 instead of 146 MHz.

Fred
K4DII

Dave Platt[_2_] April 21st 17 07:10 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article , rickman wrote:
A kayaking friend was asking me about antennas for marine VHF radios.
Someone recommended this type of antenna.

http://www.amateurradio.bz/2m-70cm_v...e_antenna.html

I guess my first question is what would this be dual band? Is it
because it works over a range from 2 meters to 70 cm? Or is it somehow
tuned for both bands at the same time but not a lot in between?

The latter... it's a dualbander. Electrically, it's effectively two
dipoles mounted side-by-side. The longer arms of the elements are
tuned for 2-meter operation, the shorter ones for 70 cm.

It would probably not work terribly well on marine VHF - those
frequencies are far enough above the 2-meter band that the 2-meter
elements on this antenna will be too long. The radio would see a high
SWR.

In principle you could build a similar dipole, with one set of
elements, somewhat shorter than the 2-meter ones on this example,
which would be resonant on the marine VHF frequencies. You'd reduce
the element lengths by a factor of about 146/157.

This antenna would need to be vertically mounted, so would be a little
clumsy sticking three foot up from a kayak. Light weight would be
better than heavier. The construction plans call for stainless steel
material. Any reason to not use aluminum?

Fresh-water kayaking, or bay/sea kayaking?

Aluminum antenna elements do not survive well around salt water (or
salt air near the coast). They corrode, often quickly and
enthusiastically and without a word of apology or shame. Maintaining
good electrical connections to aluminum is quite difficult under those
conditions. Stainless steel is used for marine antennas for the same
reason it's used for boat fittings.

Is diameter important? To
use aluminum I would want to use something thicker than 1/8 inch and
likely hollow.

The length of the elements will need to be changed somewhat, if you
use thicker-diameter tubing. For any given resonant frequency, a
very-thin element (wire or rod) needs to be longer; thick tubing
needs to be shorter.

Thicker-diameter elements tend to give you a broader SWR bandwidth,
which is often a good thing - the length becomes less critical.

Would it be ok to make it with some
sort of couplers for the bends?

Yes, but there's no need for bent elements in your case. This antenna
uses dual elements (connected via the bend) only because it's a
dualband antenna. A single-band antenna can use single pieces of
tubing.

However - as you note, this antenna design is going to be clumsy for a
kayak. Any half-wave dipole for the marine frequencies is going to be
almost a yard long. To complicate matters, a center-fed dipole like
this needs to be mounted "out to the side", with the feedline running
away at a 90-degree angle (as is show in the picture of the antenna
mounted on a mast). If you try to mount this up vertically above the
kayak, with the feedline running down right next to the lower dipole
arm, the feedline will "de-tune" the antenna quite badly and it won't
work well.

If you really want to build a home-made antenna for this band,
consider a "twin-lead J-pole" design. These are just about the same
length, overall, but they're fed at the bottom. You can make them
from a piece of coax, and a length of old-style 300-ohm "twinlead"
antenna cable. A light and simple antenna system would be one of
these twinlead J-poles (cut and tuned for the marine VHF frequencies),
taped to a simple piece of wooden dowel which is then mounted on the
kayak. They're not perfect antennas, but they're easy to make, light,
the antenna itself can be rolled up for storage, and they're cheap.

https://m0ukd.com/calculators/slim-j...le-calculator/

Just plug in the center frequency (157 MHz should do) and it will show
you the dimensions.

Or, as others have suggested, buy a commercial marine VHF antenna.

rickman April 22nd 17 01:22 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/21/2017 1:51 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

The link is not a video. I appreciate the speculation, but I am
researching this and am looking for facts. As others have pointed out,
the design is basically a dipole but with J shaped elements 47.3 and
15.9 cm lengths. Someone else has suggested this is essentially a pair
of dipoles of the two lengths.

Usually a theoretical analysis can be found for any given antenna
design, but I have not found anything other than construction projects
for this design. They don't seem to cover theoretical aspects.

That said, the antenna in the article does not appear to be the best
choice for your application. The "J-Pole" antenna Jeff suggested would
be my choice. Do some research on the J-Pole, but remember to design it
for 156 instead of 146 MHz.

Can you explain what would be preferable about the J-pole antenna? One
big disadvantage is that it appears to be more like 6 foot long for 2
meter use. That could be rather heavy and clumsy on a kayak.

--

Rick C

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 22nd 17 03:07 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:28:32 +0100, Jeff wrote:

No. The above antenna is tuned for 144 to 148MHz. Marine band
transmit is from 156.0 to 157.5Mhz transmit, and 161.975 to 162.6Mhz
for AIS and weather. You might be able to retune the Jpole antenna in
the above article, but my guess(tm) is that VWSR at the band edges is
too high.

I think you are misinterpreting what this antenna is. It is not a J-pole.
It is basically 2 closely coupled dipoles one on 2m and the other on 70cms.
The drawing that looks like a j-pole is one half of the antenna ie an
element cut to 2m and the other 70cms.
Jeff

Oops. Y'er right. It's not a Jpole, although it looks like one. More
like a "fan dipole":
https://www.google.com/search?q=fan+dipole&tbm=isch
The 18.63" is 1/4 wave at 2m and 6.25" is 1/4 wave at 440Mhz. Thanks.

Incidentally, I forgot to mumble that one doesn't need two dipoles to
operate on just the marine band. Also, I can get similar performance
out of an 18" bow tie dipole antenna (and balun), or a biconical
porcupine:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/biconical/index.html

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 22nd 17 03:36 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:28:47 -0400, rickman wrote:

Starting over from scratch...

A kayaking friend was asking me about antennas for marine VHF radios.

What problem is your friend trying to solve? My guess(tm) is that he
wants more range from what he's getting on his VHF marine handheld
radio. This is a common problem because the typical rubber ducky
helical antenna used on handheld radios has very low gain and is
lacking a proper counterpoise.

The first improvement would be to replace the rubber ducky antenna
with a 1/4 wave vertical stiff wire antenna on 156Mhz. It would be
about 48cm (18.9 in) long. That will provide a little gain and not be
too long and unwieldy. There are various such antenna available that
can be cut down to length. I would need to know the radio model and
RF connector type in order to be more specific.

Then next improvement would be a counterpoise ground element. In ham
radio circles, it's called a "tiger tail".
http://www.hamuniverse.com/htantennamod.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=tiger+tail+antenna&tbm=isch
It's just a length of 1/4 wave insulated wire dangling opposite the
antenna element. You could get fancy and use 3 or 4 such counterpoise
elements, but the improvement over a single element is minimal and not
worth the effort.

If the kayak was of a larger or ocean going variety, it might be
possible to mount a larger marine antenna like this:
http://www.n0lx.com/kayak.html
It's for HF, but would serve as a suitable mount for a VHF antenna.
A key component is the mount:
https://www.westmarine.com/antenna-mounts
I suggest something like this bolted to a backing plate:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--dual-axis-ratchet-mount-nylon--1986645?recordNum=12
The thread fits most larger marine antennas.
https://www.westmarine.com/vhf-antennas

Light reading:
"VHF Marine Antenna Fundamentals"
http://www.boat-project.com/tutorials/vhfant.htm

Fred McKenzie April 22nd 17 05:25 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article , rickman
wrote:

Can you explain what would be preferable about the J-pole antenna? One
big disadvantage is that it appears to be more like 6 foot long for 2
meter use. That could be rather heavy and clumsy on a kayak.

Rick-

You are correct about the size. On the other hand, any separate antenna
for the VHF Marine band will be a bit clumsy on a kayak.

The "J" end of a J-pole is used to match a cable to the high impedance
of the end of a half wave element. One advantage of a vertical half
wave entenna is that it directs more energy towards the horizon,
compared to a quarter wave ground plane antenna.

Jeff Liebermann's analysis sounds like the best approach to VHF on a
kayak. But no matter which way you go, you are transmitting from a
point close to the water. You are limited to line-of-sight to another
kayak. Range to a base station will be mostly determined by the height
of the base station antenna.

Fred

rickman April 22nd 17 05:43 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/22/2017 12:25 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

That is an issue I have already explored. There is not much hard
information available, but it would appear that the rubber ducky antenna
is adequate for use from one kayak to another for the most part. BTW,
that range is twice the distance to the horizon which is about two
nautical miles.

Communications to a land station such as the Coast Guard would be much
longer given the height of their antennas, unless your transmitted power
level is too low to reach them. You might be able to receive their
transmissions which are at a higher power, but they might not be able to
hear your transmissions. In that case a better antenna might make the
difference between rescue and not.

I've also considered the possibility of a higher powered unit built into
the boat with a small remote control. A cordless remote would be the
best option I believe and I expect they are available. A power boost
from 5W to 25W would easily beat the performance of a larger antenna.
Not sure how much this would weigh with a battery, but I don't think the
battery would need to be so large. It's not like 25W has to be used for
every transmission.

--

Rick C

Michael Black[_2_] April 23rd 17 12:38 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017, Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

And with a kayak, the issue is less about "antenna gain" than that there's
nothing with height on a kayak, and it's very low in the water.

Figure out some sort of "mast" and the problem is close to solved. Once
you have height, the actual antenna type matters less. I seem to recall
George Dyson put sails on some of his really big kayaks, so that's an
option, and the mast would provide some height for the antenna.

Michael

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 23rd 17 04:03 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:43:39 -0400, rickman wrote:

... it would appear that the rubber ducky antenna
is adequate for use from one kayak to another for the most part. BTW,
that range is twice the distance to the horizon which is about two
nautical miles.

Conservative radio range on VHF is:
Nautical_Miles = 1.225 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
Statute_Miles = 1.415 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
km = 4.124 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
Mo
http://www.qsl.net/kd4sai/distance.html

Communications to a land station such as the Coast Guard would be much
longer given the height of their antennas, unless your transmitted power
level is too low to reach them. You might be able to receive their
transmissions which are at a higher power, but they might not be able to
hear your transmissions. In that case a better antenna might make the
difference between rescue and not.

When you're on the water line, antenna height does make a big
difference. Prepare a roll of coax cable setup as an RF extension
cable. Attach connectors and adapters so that they fit the radio and
the antenna. If in trouble at sea, lash the antenna to the top of a
pole or oar to gain altitude. A separate antenna, such as a common
ground plane or coax sleeve antenna at the end of the coax cable would
make a better antenna than a rubber ducky.

I've also considered the possibility of a higher powered unit built into
the boat with a small remote control.

A higher power transmitter will help the Coast Guard hear you but will
do nothing for you hearing the Coast Guard. More antenna gain, and a
higher antenna are better solutions.

A cordless remote would be the
best option I believe and I expect they are available. A power boost
from 5W to 25W would easily beat the performance of a larger antenna.
Not sure how much this would weigh with a battery, but I don't think the
battery would need to be so large. It's not like 25W has to be used for
every transmission.

The biggest headache with using a 25 watt radio on battery power is
that the receive current drain is rather high thanks to the display
backlighting. For example:
http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encPr odID=1BFCB309CEE0FEE9385740D0F23313FA&DivisionID=3 &isArchived=0
0.45A very low audio
0.8A full audio
5.0A 25 w transmit
1.0A 1 w transmit
So, let's say you start off with a 12V 7A-hr SLA battery commonly
found in a UPS. You don't want to kill the battery so let's only
drain it down to 40% capacity. That would give you:
12V * 7A-hr * 0.6 = 50.4 watt-hrs
In 25 watt transmit, that give you:
50.4 watt-hrs / (12v * 5A) = 0.84 hrs * 60 min/hr
= 50.4 minutes talk time
That's actually quite a long time for a fairly small battery.

However, if you leave it running in receive, you get:
50.4 watt-hrs / (12v * 0.45A) = 6.22 hrs listen time
That's at low audio. If you wanted to hear something or transmit, it
would be much lower.

You could do better with a LiIon battery pack. The problem is that
most such packs either 3 cells, which yields about 10.8V which is
insufficient, or 4 cells, which could be as high as:
4.1v * 4 = 16.4v
which might be over the maximum voltage rating for the radio. The
Standard GX1600 is rated for 11 to 16.5V operating voltage, so you
should be ok with 4 cells.

Yep, a 25 watt radio might work.

Pat[_7_] April 23rd 17 12:10 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 20:03:49 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Conservative radio range on VHF is:
Nautical_Miles = 1.225 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
Statute_Miles = 1.415 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
km = 4.124 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)

Something is wrong with the km line above. Perhaps the antenna height
should be in meters? Or, the constant should be 2.278.

Ralph Mowery April 23rd 17 03:17 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:43:39 -0400, rickman wrote:

I've also considered the possibility of a higher powered unit built into
the boat with a small remote control.

A higher power transmitter will help the Coast Guard hear you but will
do nothing for you hearing the Coast Guard. More antenna gain, and a
higher antenna are better solutions.

Going from 5 to 25 watts of FM will gain almost nothing. Raising the
antenna several feet from the sitting down position will gain a lot.

rickman April 23rd 17 05:00 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/23/2017 10:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:43:39 -0400, rickman wrote:

I've also considered the possibility of a higher powered unit built into
the boat with a small remote control.

A higher power transmitter will help the Coast Guard hear you but will
do nothing for you hearing the Coast Guard. More antenna gain, and a
higher antenna are better solutions.

Going from 5 to 25 watts of FM will gain almost nothing. Raising the
antenna several feet from the sitting down position will gain a lot.

Are you saying that a hand held 5 watt transceiver with a rubber ducky
antenna will reach all receivers because of the line of sight
limitation? Is that true even for contacting a land station with a 200
foot high antenna? A 3 foot high antenna and a 200 foot high antenna
give nearly 20 statute miles of range. Will 5 watts be heard that far
away?

--

Rick C

rickman April 23rd 17 05:03 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/23/2017 12:00 PM, rickman wrote:
[...]

Opps, make that nearly 20 nautical miles. It's over 22 statute miles.

--

Rick C

Rob[_8_] April 23rd 17 06:22 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

rickman wrote:
[...]

Radio amateurs have launched satellites which usually have about 1 to 5 W
of power on VHF and UHF. Those can be clearly heard on a portable
with a very small antenna even when 2000-3000km away.

The loss of signal on line of sight is easy to overcome with narrow
band modulation and this kind of power. It is the "beyond line of sight"
attennuation that is the problem. Everything you can do to remove that
will help a lot more than power.

Today I was working at the repeater in our local radio/tv tower. We
were at 220m above ground level and it was easy to work over a repeater
about 80km away from us using only a handy with 1W of output. Only
because at that height this is (almost) line of sight.

Fred McKenzie April 23rd 17 06:27 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article , rickman
wrote:

A 3 foot high antenna and a 200 foot high antenna
give nearly 20 statute miles of range. Will 5 watts be heard that far
away?

Rick-

I have not done the calculations, but think your limit is line-of-sight
rather than power. I once talked 50 miles to an aircraft on Two Meters,
using a 1 watt handheld with rubber ducky antenna.

This assumes the Coast Guard does not have their squelch set too tight.

Fred

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 23rd 17 06:49 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

wrote:

Conservative radio range on VHF is:
Nautical_Miles = 1.225 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
Statute_Miles = 1.415 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
km = 4.124 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)

Something is wrong with the km line above. Perhaps the antenna height
should be in meters? Or, the constant should be 2.278.

Oops and thanks. That should be:

Conservative radio range on VHF is:
Nautical_Miles = 1.225 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
Statute_Miles = 1.415 * sqrt(antenna_ht_feet)
km = 4.124 * sqrt(antenna_ht_meters)

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 23rd 17 07:31 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:00:09 -0400, rickman wrote:

Will 5 watts be heard that far away?

Let's see what the Fiis equation says, assuming line of sight, perfect
conditions, and no obstructions:
http://www.proxim.com/products/knowledge-center/calculations/calculations-system-operating-margin-som

Distance = 20 statute miles
Operating frequency is about 156MHz
Rubber ducky antenna gain is about -3dB
Coax cable loss is zero.
5 watts tx power is +37dBm
25 watts tx power is +44dBm
Rx sensitivity is 0.18uV = -122dBm/12dB SINAD

Plugging into the above calculator, I get for 5 watts:
106.5 dB path loss
-75.5 dbm rx signal strength
46.5 dB fade margin

In other words, with this arrangement, your receive signal is 46.5dB
stronger than the minimum level (12dB SINAD) necessary to hear a
fairly weak and noisy signal. You should theoretically have no
problems being heard at 20 miles.

However, that's theory, not practice. At 156 MHz, the Fresnel zone is
rather large. Quite a bit of signal is lost bouncing off the water
surface, or being absorbed. There are waves that get in the way. The
curvature of the earth raises the wave height at mid span, resulting
in more blockage. My experience is about 5 miles maximum for reliable
communications between two handhelds over water. Icom sorta suggests
3 to 8 miles:
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-VHF-Handheld-Radio
Please read the "What are the limits of range and power?" near the
bottom of the page.

Propagation over water is also full of oddities and anomalies:
"The propagation of VHF and UHF radio waves over sea paths "
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a6ca/1fe1ca92e96a7e7150217b265816891b102e.pdf
I've been in situations where I can see the person or station that I'm
trying to communicate but because of inversion layers and surface
reflections, the signal was weak, variable, or gone.

You mentioned that it's not over salt water. In that case, land
topography has a huge effect on propagation. If your friend is in a
river canyon, raising the antenna a few feet isn't going to do
anything useful. For such situations, land the kayak, climb the walls
of the canyon, and try the radio where there's fewer obstacles.

Ralph Mowery April 23rd 17 07:41 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article , says...

On 4/23/2017 10:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,

Going from 5 to 25 watts of FM will gain almost nothing. Raising the
antenna several feet from the sitting down position will gain a lot.

Are you saying that a hand held 5 watt transceiver with a rubber ducky
antenna will reach all receivers because of the line of sight
limitation? Is that true even for contacting a land station with a 200
foot high antenna? A 3 foot high antenna and a 200 foot high antenna
give nearly 20 statute miles of range. Will 5 watts be heard that far
away?

AT VHF and above antenna height is more important than power.

I have worked someone in an airplane that was at 30 to 40 thousand feet
thta was using a handy talkey and I was using about 10 watts. He was
almost 200 miles away. The space station has hams on it that are using
about 5 watts and I have heard them many times. Not sure of the
range,but would guess several hundred miles at times.

I know a couple of local guys that used the family radios to talk over
50 miles from one mountain top to another. Not sure of the power but
probably l watt or less.

While going to much higher power, like 500 to 1000 watts will give more
range, just going less than 10 times the power gains very little in
range on vhf and above.

I don't know how to mount an antenna on what he wants to do. There used
to be some coaxial type antennas made that fed from the bottom and did
not require a ground plane.

rickman April 23rd 17 08:16 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/23/2017 2:31 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I said the particular case I was being asked about was not over salt
water. I didn't say it was on a river. The particular case is for use
on the Great Lakes. Other uses I might have at other times would likely
be on salt water such as the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries or the
Atlantic ocean.

Your info is helpful. Thanks.

--

Rick C

highlandham[_3_] April 23rd 17 08:34 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 23/04/17 04:03, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
quote =====
When you're on the water line, antenna height does make a big
difference. Prepare a roll of coax cable setup as an RF extension
cable. Attach connectors and adapters so that they fit the radio and
the antenna. If in trouble at sea, lash the antenna to the top of a
pole or oar to gain altitude. A separate antenna, such as a common
ground plane or coax sleeve antenna at the end of the coax cable would
make a better antenna than a rubber ducky.

unquote =====

A simple alternative to the J-Pole antenna would be a ground plane
antenna made of welding rod material on an SO-239 socket with a 4 hole
square flange with a vertical quarter wave radiator and 4 hinged
radial elements,the latter under 45 degrees when in use .
The SO-239 socket would be connected to a PL-259 connector and a
suitable length of coax.

The socket + connector would be fixed into a plastic pipe ,with the coax
running inside the pipe .
The bottom of the pipe would be fixed to a simple platform the latter
clamped to the canoe.
When antenna is not in use the 4 hinged radials could be pushed in-line
with the plastic pipe mast .

It is useful to initially make the vertical radiator and radials ,say 10
mm longer than a quarter wave for the mid band frequency (somewhere
between 157 and 162 MHz).

The radiator can then be shortened (1mm at the time) to achieve lowest
SWR for the desired frequency ,using an antenna analyser or SWR meter
with the transceiver

Lastly the radials can be trimmed accordingly ,checking SWR

When all is done ,the exposed SO-239 centre pin to which the 1/4 wave
radiator is soldered (or the complete SO-239 socket can be covered with
Epoxy or Bluetack (giving excellent protection)

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 23rd 17 09:26 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:16:40 -0400, rickman wrote:

I said the particular case I was being asked about was not over salt
water. I didn't say it was on a river. The particular case is for use
on the Great Lakes.

It's my understanding the propagation over the Great Lakes is similar
to that over the ocean. However, I have no experience on the Great
Lakes.

Your info is helpful. Thanks.

Y're welcome. I mentioned the problem to a friend who was into
kayaking when he was younger. He said that kayaks often carry push
poles to get them off the rocks. These are often used as an
improvised distress flag mast. I found this one:
https://thesuperstick.com/product/push-pole/
which goes to 17ft extended. Hopefully, there are cheaper models.

To attach an antenna, there's the usual roll of coax cable and some
kind of temporary mounting clip. Perhaps something like this, but
with lower loss coax cable:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/nagoya-rb-clp-window-clip-mount-rg-174-u/176624090.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/NAGOYA-RB-CLP-Window-Clip-Mount-RG-174-U-3m-Cable-BNC-for-walkie-talkie-Radio/1295452_32312249435.html
Or, just an L-bracket with a connector attached. Or, a big rubber
band. Whatever gets the antenna higher.

You're on your own on how to keep the push pole mast upright.

Vessels sometimes carry "emergency" antennas. The idea is that if the
main antenna is in some way lost, the emergency antenna would be
substituted. Examples:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespeare--stowaway-emergency-vhf-antenna--519058
http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product/sl-156-emergency-vhf-antenna/
They're usually small and have little gain, but might offer some
useful ideas.

Lunch beckons...

rickman April 23rd 17 09:57 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/23/2017 4:26 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:16:40 -0400, rickman wrote:

I said the particular case I was being asked about was not over salt
water. I didn't say it was on a river. The particular case is for use
on the Great Lakes.

It's my understanding the propagation over the Great Lakes is similar
to that over the ocean. However, I have no experience on the Great
Lakes.

I believe the issue of salt water came up because of a materials
concern, aluminum vs. stainless steel.

Your info is helpful. Thanks.

Y're welcome. I mentioned the problem to a friend who was into
kayaking when he was younger. He said that kayaks often carry push
poles to get them off the rocks. These are often used as an
improvised distress flag mast. I found this one:
https://thesuperstick.com/product/push-pole/
which goes to 17ft extended. Hopefully, there are cheaper models.

Not sure who told you about "push poles", but I've never run into
kayaker with a push pole. If you get on rocks, you have a paddle. I
don't even know where you would stow a push ploe. Much better to not
get on the rocks.

[...]

If I find a kayak with a roll down window I'll get one of these and try it.

A kayak is not a large fishing vessel. It is a small, narrow boat with
little deck space. I had a deck mounted light on a two foot pole and it
was always a problem by being in the way, especially when getting in and
out of the boat. You wouldn't believe how stupid and crappy many
kayaking products are.

I seriously doubt any sort of deck mounted antenna will be acceptable to
a serious kayaker, but if it is unobtrusive and light enough it might
work. There are a number of commercial marine VHF antennas that should
do the job. The trick will be finding one that works as well on a kayak
deck as a power boat. That's the main reason why kayakers use hand held
radios.

--

Rick C

John S April 23rd 17 11:00 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/23/2017 2:34 PM, highlandham wrote:

When all is done ,the exposed SO-239 centre pin to which the 1/4 wave
radiator is soldered (or the complete SO-239 socket can be covered with
Epoxy or Bluetack (giving excellent protection)

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT

Frank - Thanks for the Bluetack reference. It looks quite versatile so I
have ordered it to try.

Cheers,
John N1JLS

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 24th 17 02:17 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:34:31 +0100, highlandham
wrote:

It is useful to initially make the vertical radiator and radials ,say 10
mm longer than a quarter wave for the mid band frequency (somewhere
between 157 and 162 MHz).

Nope. You want to tune the antenna for lowest VSWR in the transmit
range (156.0 to 157.5MHz) and take whatever you can get in the 162MHz
receive only region. If you try to tune the antenna for the middle of
the 6 MHz split, you'll end up with lousy VSWR at both extremes where
you want to operate, and good VSWR where you're not operating.

Ralph Mowery April 24th 17 04:32 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article ,
says...

wrote:

It is useful to initially make the vertical radiator and radials ,say 10
mm longer than a quarter wave for the mid band frequency (somewhere
between 157 and 162 MHz).

Nope. You want to tune the antenna for lowest VSWR in the transmit
range (156.0 to 157.5MHz) and take whatever you can get in the 162MHz
receive only region. If you try to tune the antenna for the middle of
the 6 MHz split, you'll end up with lousy VSWR at both extremes where
you want to operate, and good VSWR where you're not operating.

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT

Thats correct, tune for lowest SWR at the transmit frequency and take
whatever you get at the receive frequency. If you don't , most
transmitters cut the power back, or else you burn up the transmitter.

John S April 24th 17 05:06 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

wrote:

It is useful to initially make the vertical radiator and radials ,say 10
mm longer than a quarter wave for the mid band frequency (somewhere
between 157 and 162 MHz).

Nope. You want to tune the antenna for lowest VSWR in the transmit
range (156.0 to 157.5MHz) and take whatever you can get in the 162MHz
receive only region. If you try to tune the antenna for the middle of
the 6 MHz split, you'll end up with lousy VSWR at both extremes where
you want to operate, and good VSWR where you're not operating.

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT

How lousy? Enough for the transmitter to reduce power to protect itself?
Do you have SWR numbers?

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] April 24th 17 06:52 AM

Antenna for Marine VHF

wrote:

It is useful to initially make the vertical radiator and radials ,say 10
mm longer than a quarter wave for the mid band frequency (somewhere
between 157 and 162 MHz).

Nope. You want to tune the antenna for lowest VSWR in the transmit
range (156.0 to 157.5MHz) and take whatever you can get in the 162MHz
receive only region. If you try to tune the antenna for the middle of
the 6 MHz split, you'll end up with lousy VSWR at both extremes where
you want to operate, and good VSWR where you're not operating.

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH in IO87AT

How lousy? Enough for the transmitter to reduce power to protect itself?
Do you have SWR numbers?

Of course I have numbers. I never go anywhere without a handy NEC
model of a marine VHF band ground plane. For your viewing pleasu
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Marine%20VHF%20Ground%20Plane/index.html
If you want to play with it, the 4NEC2 model is at:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Marine%20VHF%20Ground%20Plane/slides/Marine%20VHF%20Gnd%20Plane.html

Argh, you're right. With a Ground Plane, the VSWR is low enough at
the band edges (156 - 163MHz) for transmit, if I tune the antenna for
mid-band (159MHz). TX reverse power protection usual kicks in at 2:1.
Looks like the VSWR at 156 and 162 is about 1.2:1 which is quite safe:
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Marine%20VHF%20Ground%20Plane/slides/VSWR.html

Lame Excuse: I'm used to dealing with higher gain marine band
antennas, where the bandwidth is much less. With these antennas, it's
common practice to tune the antenna for the transmit range, and take
whatever you can get at the higher receive only frequencies. However,
it seems the bandwidth of a common ground plane is sufficiently wide
to have low VSWR over the entire VHF marine band.

Grumble...

Michael Black[_2_] April 24th 17 08:39 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, highlandham wrote:

[...]

But on a kayak? It won't do much good lying on the kayak, and unless you
get it high enough (which has problems in itself), you'll poke your eye
out.

Why not go for something that doesn't need horizontal radials.

Michael

Michael Black[_2_] April 24th 17 08:44 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, rickman wrote:

[...]

YOu have the length of the kayak. A bamboo pole is light, and making an
antenna out of wire won't burden the pole. The real issue, I'd say, is
figuring out something to put on the kayak to hold the pole. For
emergencies, you can probably just have some fishing line tied to the top
of the pole, and hold that as a "guy wire".

If there was some way to hold the oar against the kayak, some clip on
antenna that used the oar as a mast would be better than nothing, and of
course doesn't require an extra pole.

A bit of height probably does make an improvement, after that the "mast"
has to get higher and higher to be useful.

Michael

rickman April 24th 17 08:47 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/24/2017 3:44 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Bamboo poles are not all that light and they get water logged.
Everything on a kayak gets wet.

So far I haven't found anything definitive that even shows a better
antenna is needed. It would appear if you are trying to contact a
station with a high antenna some 20 miles away you might have trouble
with range, but the problem isn't that your antenna isn't high enough.
Reaching other handheld units is limited by line of sight which would be
helped by a higher antenna. I'm not sure which problem was being
addressed. Next time I talk to my buddy I'll ask more about this. I
think in reality this was prompted by someone recommending a home brew
antenna when the nature of the problem wasn't even explored.

--

Rick C

rickman April 24th 17 09:19 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/24/2017 3:39 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Actually I gave this antenna some thought. If the radials were attached
by some sort of hinge for example a heavy braid, they could fold up
while still being electrically attached. The antenna could slide into a
tube when not in use. It might be a bit complex to rig up, but this is
the sort of thing I can give some thought to and maybe come up with
something workable.

--

Rick C

Fred McKenzie April 25th 17 05:07 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

Back to the J-Pole! You can make a light, flexible J-Pole out of 300
Ohm twinlead. Feed it with RG-174 cable. Use some kind of oar or pole
to raise it when needed.

Fred

Michael Black[_2_] April 25th 17 06:46 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017, rickman wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of the bamboo stakes sold for tying plants to. Those are
thin, but so long as the antenna is made of wire, and thus light, would
work fine.

I've used the stakes, because they were handy, to get a TV loop up a bit
higher to scan the channels on the tv set.

But I wasn't thinking of the water, and you're right, they wouldn't hold
up after being kept wet a few times.

How about fibreglass? Those flags seen on bicycles to give some height
for oncoming vehicles, one of those might do. Or I have a vague memory of
seeing such things sold for kayaks, to be seen a bit sooner than when a
bigger boat stumbles on them. If they have them for kayaks, that's a good
route to take, they would come with something to use to mount on the
kayak.

Michael

rickman April 25th 17 07:23 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/25/2017 1:46 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

I think the best fiberglass for a marine VHF antenna would be the stuff
you can get when you buy a marine VHF antenna. lol If you are talking
about a simple wire the paddle would be ok. They are typically around 7
foot long. Clip the wire on the end of the paddle and Bob's your uncle.
It's not like you will be transmitting for hours, so you can just hold
the paddle up.

Yesterday I couldn't think of the term for the antenna style they use in
the commercial marine VHF antennas, but I believe it is called
"co-linear" or something like that. It is a bunch of coax sections
connected inner to outer at specific lengths. I have never seen a Ham
recommend using that type. But I guess Hams go more for permanent
installations with ground planes of some type. The co-linear needs no
ground plane I believe.

--

Rick C

rickman April 25th 17 07:24 PM

Antenna for Marine VHF

On 4/25/2017 12:07 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't know where to begin in sizing the components.

--

Rick C