RadioBanter

-   -   The Pixie, cont'd (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/241685-pixie-contd.html)

Jim GM4DHJ ...[_3_] May 17th 17 07:19 PM

The Pixie, cont'd

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
wrote:

I suggest two inductively loaded mobile whips
back to back as a dipole.

I've gone a step further and fixed an electrical box as a multi-band
antenna in my attic. It was from a magazine article a few years ago.
Four pairs of mobile whips are mounted on the box, which has eight
surfaces around its periphery. All dipoles are connected in parallel to
a single feed line.

I used 80, 40, 20 and 15 Meter whips. Later, I changed the ground side
of the 20 Meter whip to a hustler with the multi-resonator adapter,
using both 20 and 10 Meter resonators. A short modified CB whip was
added to the top surface of the electrical box to provide a vertical 10
Meter radiator.

Such an antenna does not work very well compared to full-size dipoles,
but it gets you on the air. I'm not running a "Pixie" transmitter, but
a 100 Watt rig. I think a Pixie would still make contacts, but may be
frustrating for a beginner. Especially with the recent poor band
conditions.

Fred
K4DII

a magmount on a biscuit tin used to be the antenna of choice for pirates....

rickman May 17th 17 08:37 PM

The Pixie, cont'd

On 5/17/2017 1:47 PM, Fred Roberts wrote:
On 17/05/2017 13:10, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

yes will I call on 2m or is that still against the law? ....

I don't do 2m, call me when you arrive I'll be there waiting.

There's some humor here somewhere...

--

Rick C

AndyW May 19th 17 06:59 AM

The Pixie, cont'd

On 17/05/2017 09:22, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Continuing the theme to get Foundation Licence
candidates interested in _REAL_ amateur radio,
which means, of course, homebrew and CW QSOs,
as well as the Pixie as a starter rig for only
a couple of pounds, we need to consider an
appropriately easy antenna for them, easy
to build, and, more importantly, easy to
erect.

I suggest two inductively loaded mobile whips
back to back as a dipole.

Any better suggestions, with the emphasis on
cheapness and ease? (Sorry Mr.Tarheel :-) )

I am still a fan of simple technology, a wire dipole would fulfil the
cheapness criterion although not necessarily easy it seems like a plan
to start with a basic antenna to get a contact and then tune/trim it to
improve that contact scooping up antenna tuning SWR etc on the way.
Every day should be a school day.

Andy