Old October 17th 04, 05:58 PM
Doug McLaren

Default So, where does one get aluminum tubes for antenna construction?

I'm looking to make a 2m/70cm yagi antenna for working satellites.
The plans are out there, and it seems quite simple. (Or I could pay
$73 to Arrow Antenna, but I'll give it a shot myself first.)

So I hit Home Depot, and the closest thing I found to the approprite
beams was 1/8th inch steel rods. (Basically piano wire.)

It ought to work, and is stiff enough to not bend much under gravity,
but it's heavy, and I'll be holding this thing ...

The local hobby shop has more piano wire that's smaller, but it's
still steel, and as you get smaller, it looses the needed rigidity and
it sags too much.

The instructions suggest hollow alluminum tubes, which should be light
and strong, and a good conductor to boot, but where can I find these?

Also, I've seen Yagi instructions that suggest a that the beams not be
insulated from the boom, and I've seen instructions that say they
should be insulated from the boom (or the boom should be an insulator,
like PVC pipe.) Does it make a big difference? Does it affect the
dimensions of the antenna?

Thanks in advance ...

--
Doug McLaren, , AD5RH
The face is familiar but i can't quite remember my name. Oh, there it is.
Old October 17th 04, 06:42 PM
Dave

aluminum tubing can be found at industrial pipe suppliers, or for short
pieces you can get tent poles to cut up. welding rod is another commonly
used material, copper pipe is another one for small antennas. some people
also use steel electrical conduit.

Insulating the elements will change the size they need to be... or you could
look at it that when you don't insulate the elements from the boom they
usually get shorter because they look fatter at the middle. there are
arguments for both methods, but if you use a metallic boom i wouldn't
insulate them because its more work if you don't have the proper tools and
insulators handy, if you use pvc or something else then they will be
insulated anyway.

Old October 17th 04, 06:49 PM
Ralph Mowery

..

The instructions suggest hollow alluminum tubes, which should be light
and strong, and a good conductor to boot, but where can I find these?

Also, I've seen Yagi instructions that suggest a that the beams not be
insulated from the boom, and I've seen instructions that say they
should be insulated from the boom (or the boom should be an insulator,
like PVC pipe.) Does it make a big difference? Does it affect the
dimensions of the antenna?

You might try looking at a sporting goods store for the elements , that is
what the Arrow antennas started out as. Texas towers is a place you can
order from.

The instructions must be followed exectally at 2 meters and above. The
elements must be the same outside diameter. They can be solid or hollow
without a change in length. If the boom is a nonconductor , that must be
used, if the elements pass through and are insulated from the boom that must
be done. The boom will have an effect on the elements almost as the same
diameter as the boom diameter. While an inch or two might not make much
differance on the low bands, it could put a 440 mhz antenna out of the band.
You may be able to tune the swr to a low value but the patern will be way
off and the antenna may not have much gain.

The antennas are not that hard to build.

Old October 17th 04, 08:36 PM
sideband

Cut apart an old TV antenna?

Just a thought...

-SSB

Old October 17th 04, 08:39 PM
Lou W

[...]

Most major cities, and smaller ones too, will have recycling yards
that also sell all manner of alum, steel, stainless, brass
etc. Quite a variety of extrusions can be found here. Usually the price, in
my area san diego, is about $2 a pound. These are great places to get stuff
for building antenna

Lou
KE6LZS

Old October 17th 04, 08:54 PM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:58:00 GMT, "Doug McLaren"
wrote:

[...]

I believe Texas Towers in Dallas sells anything you might need in
aluminum tubing appropos for antennas. Their web page doesn't come up
right now; maybe later...

Bob
k5qwg

Old October 17th 04, 10:01 PM
Tam/WB2TT

[...]

Around here several mom&pop hardware stores carry Al tubing in 10 foot
lengths up to 1-1/4 OD. Also, building supply stores; not Home Depot or
Lowes. I would not use steel elements. For 432, you might be able to use
chunks of Al ground wire. Of course, there is Texas Towers, but I think the
longest piece you can UPS without a surcharge is 6 feet.

Tam/WB2TT

Old October 17th 04, 10:13 PM
Fractenna

Texas Tower. Nice folks.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old October 17th 04, 10:48 PM
NN7Kex

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
[...]

Also, try your nearest Welders Supply- for brazeing rods, tho, not aluminium,
would believe these are superior to piano wire! and is available in different
diameters, and lengths, and certainly better than most copper, or aluminium
of the same gauge in non-malialibility (more weight support if a bird lands
on it) Jim nn7k

--
To reply, remove the NOSPAM