Old October 18th 04, 02:22 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Here's what some think of BPL

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/37378.html

This fellow pretty much sums up what I think about BPL, except that I
don't even give it a chance in rural communities.

BPL is a exceptionally flawed method of DSL level "broadband"

I am surprised that some would think of it as anything even remotely
modern. It is old old stuff.

There is only one way that BPL can even remotely start to get off the
ground.

That is if the rules are rewritten regarding interference. This will
mean that the BPL signal MAY interfere with any other service, and that
no other service may interfere with BPL. This would be a complete
reversal of part 15.

Won't it be something when all the power companies find they *have* to
replace all those old noisy transformers that hams have to end up
getting Riley to send them a nastygram for?

The power lines are not particularly clean. lots of loose wires and bad
transformers and insulators with problems. THey might not be much of a
problem now, but they will be a problem...

Then when the neighbors start using their treadmill and it wipes out
the BPL signal?

And hmmm, the rules have been rewritten about those wonderful
unlicensed part 15 devices, so I guess that the BPL customer can't do
anything about it?

But seriously, BPL will probably suffer an early and quick demise. What
I am really worried about is if the part 15 rules are rewritten. Even if
the rules were specifically written to exclude BPL (talk about a direct
admission of technical inferiority) it will be a foot in the door for
other industries that would like to not have to put up those fussy FCC
regulations.

- Mike, KB3EIA -

This will be my new tagline:

BPL - a Triumph of Politics over Technology

Old October 18th 04, 02:51 AM
Dave VanHorn

Get out that ratty old drill, and REV it UP!

--
KC6ETE Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Old October 18th 04, 03:09 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Get out that ratty old drill, and REV it UP!

Or get in the kW mobile and drive around while yakidy yak yak :-)

Yuri
Old October 18th 04, 04:12 AM
Mike Coslo

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

Get out that ratty old drill, and REV it UP!

Or get in the kW mobile and drive around while yakidy yak yak :-)

5 Watts will do it! If you are running high power at your home, you'll
likely knock out BPL for miles around.

I would never suggest deliberately interfering. It seems as if almost
anything will interfere though.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 19th 04, 04:31 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Turner wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:22:52 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

BPL is a exceptionally flawed method of DSL level "broadband"

I am surprised that some would think of it as anything even remotely
modern. It is old old stuff.

I see the sky is still falling.

Relax guys, and study up on WiMax technology. WiMax will kill BPL as
surely as the automobile killed the horse-drawn cart.

Something, just about anything, will take care of BPL. It is the
technological bottom of the barrel. As I have noted though, peckering
around with part 15 might be a bigger headache than BPL could ever be.

And the sky is always falling! ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA-

Old October 19th 04, 06:56 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:31:00 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:
And the sky is always falling! ;^)

Hi Mike,

One point I learned about centrifugal force (falling toward earth
while in orbit), is that it is always missing where it would have hit
if things didn't move (hence staying in orbit).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC