Old October 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Butternut HF6V question

Hey Butternut owners!

I bought a HF6V at a hamfes recently. It's installed now, and I am in
the process of tuning it this weekend.

80 and 40 are okay soo far. 20 meters is a different story. One of the
things I found out was that there was an extra HV cap. Apparently this
goes on the 30 meter coil/capacitor assy. But the assy was disassy!

Does this cap go in series with the coil at the top, or does it go in
parallel as do the 80 and 40 meter caps?

TIA - Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 25th 04, 10:44 AM
Mogens

Does this cap go in series with the coil at the top, or does it go in
parallel as do the 80 and 40 meter caps?

Are you aware that you have to use a 1/4 wave lenght impedance transformer
(matching line) on 20 meters?
This is the text from the original manual:

Symptom: High SWR on 20 meter; other bands OK.
Look for: Missing matching line. Antenna not properly tuned. 20 meter
radials not present or wrong length. Consult instructions for tuning and
radial information; install matching line RG-11 75 ohm coax, 11 ft 4 in
(345.4 cm) if solid dielectric, 13 ft 6 in (411.5 cm) if foam type.

73 de oz1akn, Mogens

Old October 26th 04, 12:41 AM
Mike Coslo

Mogens wrote:

Does this cap go in series with the coil at the top, or does it go in
parallel as do the 80 and 40 meter caps?

Are you aware that you have to use a 1/4 wave lenght impedance transformer
(matching line) on 20 meters?
This is the text from the original manual:

Yes, I am.

Symptom: High SWR on 20 meter; other bands OK.
Look for: Missing matching line. Antenna not properly tuned. 20 meter
radials not present or wrong length.

Well, this is a ground level installation, with underground radials

Consult instructions for tuning and
radial information; install matching line RG-11 75 ohm coax, 11 ft 4 in
(345.4 cm) if solid dielectric, 13 ft 6 in (411.5 cm) if foam type.

AH-HA! Since the antenna didn't have the matching line with it, I put a
1/4 wave stub of around 16' 6" on it, which is quite off from the actual
value that they want. It is solid dielectric, so it is off by over 5 feet!

Thanks very much for the clarification of my problem.

For the original question that I had, I am going to put the cap in
series with the 30 meter coil, as after scrutiny of the parts list, that
is the only way I can see it fitting in the assembly.

- Mike KB3EIA

Old October 26th 04, 03:00 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Google it as I recall there's a manual online. I think ownership has
changed.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old October 26th 04, 07:48 AM
Mogens

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
.. .
Google it as I recall there's a manual online. I think ownership has
changed.

Yes, it can be found at www.bencher.com or more precisly at
http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00366IZV.pdf

Mogens