Old January 9th 05, 02:39 PM
ml

Default park ground?

Hi

I'll be going into a park, operating from a park bench via battery
ft897d and a nice dipole strung up in the trees

wondering should i have some sort of ground to my rig or what ever while
sitting on this bench?

how would i achiee that take a copper spike and wack it into the ground
connect to rig?

thanks
Old January 9th 05, 03:41 PM
'Doc

I don't think I'd worry about it. If it makes you
feel better to have a 'ground', then use a counterpose
for the band(s) of use. Or, make your self a nice spike.
'Doc
Old January 9th 05, 04:27 PM
Reg Edwards

I'll be going into a park, operating from a park bench via battery
ft897d and a nice dipole strung up in the trees

wondering should i have some sort of ground to my rig or what ever while
sitting on this bench?

how would i achiee that take a copper spike and wack it into the ground

===============================

A ground connection is unnecessary with a dipole, whether the feedline is
coaxial or twin wire. You are not mains operated or running a kilowatt..

A single earth spike is useles for a ground connection whatever the
circumstances.

If it makes you feel safer, while sitting on your parkbench, you could
connect the ground terminal on your transmitter to a 2-feet long earth spike
via a 3-feet length of 18-gauge, flexible, multi-strand, plastic insulated
wire.

Don't forget to take an umbrella with you!
----
Reg.

Old January 9th 05, 05:43 PM
Cecil Moore

ml wrote:
I'll be going into a park, operating from a park bench via battery
ft897d and a nice dipole strung up in the trees

wondering should i have some sort of ground to my rig or what ever while
sitting on this bench?

For portable operation with a balanced antenna, lots of hams
don't even bother with an earth ground - I don't.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 9th 05, 08:12 PM
W9DMK

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:39:12 GMT, ml wrote:

Hi

I'll be going into a park, operating from a park bench via battery
ft897d and a nice dipole strung up in the trees

wondering should i have some sort of ground to my rig or what ever while
sitting on this bench?

how would i achiee that take a copper spike and wack it into the ground
connect to rig?

thanks

Dear ml,

Not a bad idea. However, consider finding a chain link fence and tying
your ground post to one of the chain link fence posts. Do not allow
the ground wire from the rig to the earth exceed 1/12th wavelength at
your frequency of operation - otherwise you will be elevated slightly
above ground and other complications will begin to take place as you
get closer and closer to 1/4 wavelength. At 1/4 wavelength you have an
open circuit between the rig and the earth - which is real bad.

Note that even tho you are using a dipole, there will be RF coming
down the outer shield of the coax which will find its way to earth one
way or another. You prefer it not to be through the body.

Bob, W9DMK, Dahlgren, VA
http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk