Old January 14th 05, 10:20 AM
Airy R.Bean

That's a good idea - I must otherwise admit to being lazy when
it comes to the possibility of NOT doing things with a hand saw!

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
I made a connector (female as opposed to your male) for an old radio by
slitting brass tube. Hacksaw and vice produced good enough accuracy for

an
excellent operational performance.

How about making a square fixture to hold the round part with two slits
to guide the saw blade?

I have found that a good fret/jewelers saw very handy for cutting small
items. I find it very difficult to cut 1/8 drill rod with a hacksaw
but easy with a fret saw. They cut faster than you expect.

Old January 14th 05, 10:21 AM
Airy R.Bean

The biggest off-the-shelf bananas that I have seen are
4mm. In any case, doing things for yourself is what
differentiates the Radio Ham from the CBer!

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
m...
There used to be lots of banana plugs for sale on eBay and hamfest,

quicker,
easier, and cheaper than DIY.

Old January 14th 05, 10:23 AM
Airy R.Bean

How do you propose to set it on "center"? (English speakers
spell that as, "centre"!). That is the nub of my enquiry.

"CW" wrote in message
Set it on center, set your depth of cut, set your speed and feed, cut.

What
more do you want?
"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
Is there a "kink" for setting up a slitting saw to saw through
round bar stock along the axis, so that the slot is exactly
across a diameter? (I presume this to be a similar problem to
setting up accurately for cross-drilling)
This is actually a Ham Radio application; I wish to make
up some very large banana-type plugs from the 1/4" round
bar stock that I have in small quantities. For this, I will need
to saw two diameters in a cross shape, and then splay
out the leaves slightly to make a springy and rubbing contact.

Old January 14th 05, 12:34 PM
jtaylor

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
How do you propose to set it on "center"? (English speakers
spell that as, "centre"!). That is the nub of my enquiry.

Well, if you have "stock", and it's a small thing of which you're making
many, you get a method that allows both measured increments and a locking
system. You do a test, and adjust, so that once it's good enough, you just
shove the stock in and slice it.

If it's a one-off that has much time/money/work already into it, you use the
same arrangement but plan and measure as best you can first.

Old January 14th 05, 02:16 PM
Cecil Moore

Airy R.Bean wrote:
The biggest off-the-shelf bananas that I have seen are 4mm.

I've got some that are about 0.3 inches in diameter.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 15th 05, 04:02 AM
CW

There are various methods. First, you have to specify what kind of equipment
you are using. You never did say. BTW, American speakers spell it center. We
left England so we were free to do it a better way.