RadioBanter

-   -   New Smith Chart Program - "SmartSmith" (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/2510-new-smith-chart-program-%22smartsmith%22.html)

Barnacle Bill November 2nd 04 02:23 AM

In article , Bob Miller wrote:
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 04:54:54 -0000, Barnacle Bill
wrote:

In article , Bob Miller wrote:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:52:24 -0000, Barnacle Bill
wrote:

Some of us have gotten spoiled rotten by our wideband connections. I for
one have a T1 at work and do most of my downloading there. Maybe it's time
to step back, take a deep breath, and recall when we had a 1200 baud modem!
;^)

BB

I still have my little Radio Shack Model 100 portable pc, with its
mighty 300-baud modem. Them was the times...

bob
k5qwg

Hey, I still have mine too! In fact, I just dug it out of a 'mystery box'
in the attic. It still works. Back in the 80's, I used in my land survey
business; I wrote a COGO program in BASIC on it that worked like a charm...

BB

There's actually a user group for the little booger -- see
http://www.club100.org/

bob
k5qwg

Wow! Tnx, I was gonna toss it. Not now!

BB

Barnacle Bill November 2nd 04 02:31 AM

In article , Reg Edwards wrote:
Smith Charts went out of date wth slide rules and log tables with the advent
of the pocket calculator.

Be real engineers. Get yourselves into the 21st century.
----
Reg

You know, I thought the same way for a while. In my land survey business, I
progressed quickly into using Autocad and total stations with data
collectors, but I never forgot the old ways. I could tape a 10,000 ft. line
through moderate terrain with 1/50,000 accuracy/precision, and close a
traverse with book of log tables and trig tables. Thanks to frequent power
outages around here, and dead batteries, I got to use both. keep the old
technologies alive!

Bill

Chuck November 2nd 04 07:07 AM

Bill Turner wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:44:40 -0700, "chuck" wrote:

Hi Bob,

What a disappointment - spending so much
time in downloading your program (three
attempts), only to have it fail in its installation.

Your installer told me I have an outdated file it
needs to replace. After allowing - and rebooting
- the installer did not continue. When attempting
another install, I get the same response... ad
infinitum.

Chuck, WA7RAI

I had a similar problem during install. Use msconfig.exe to shut off
all background apps, reboot and reinstall. Worked for me.

--
Bill W6WRT

Interesting... I've never run across anything
like this before. Did the apps that you shut
down include your firewall, web-bug or Trojan
detectors, and/or anti-virus apps as well?

Chuck

Tam/WB2TT November 2nd 04 02:43 PM

"Chuck" wrote in message

[...]

I did not shut down anything, but on Windows XP I got 3 or 4 messages that
said the file I was trying to install was older than what was already there.
I kept the existing files. Installed and runs OK. BTW, downloaded at about 3
KBs.

Tam/WB2TT

J. Mc Laughlin November 2nd 04 06:14 PM

Even though I did not have the advantage of attending Texas A&M, I agree
with Cecil. In classes for real electrical engineers, the Smith Chart still
provides a superb means for instilling important concepts. A means that can
then be reinforced with computations.
In my experience, the greatest advantage of including the Smith Chart in
real education resides in the long term effects. Forever, an engineer will
be able to visualize effects and be able, even on the telephone, to describe
effects to another similarly "equipped" engineer. The Smith Chart is an
important part of the way we communicate. Its utility insures its
preservation for a long time to come.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:
Smith Charts went out of date wth slide rules and log tables with the

advent
of the pocket calculator.

An abstract math equation will get one the answer but not necessarily
illustrate what is happening in reality. We see the results of that here
on this newsgroup. The appeal of the Smith Chart is that it gives one
a graphic conceptual grasp of reality while using those same equations
to solve the problem. A picture *is* worth a thousand words. We can
see the (Vfor+Vref)/(Ifor/Iref) impedance displayed right there on
the SWR circle.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

chuck November 2nd 04 08:00 PM

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Tam,

Since I'm not running XP, perhaps this
explains it, though this dosen't dispell
my curiosity... I naturally distrust any
freeware that installs abnormally...
spyware, and all that stuff, y'know.

Chuck

kd5foy November 9th 04 12:28 AM

i setup an apache web server at http://64.217.230.66/. try downloading
from there, it should be faster. remove the
obvious from my posted email address and let me know the outcome.

larry
kd5foy