Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 8th 04, 01:56 PM
Ken Bessler

Default Is it worth it? Will I notice?

OK, after the thread on PL-259 losses, I figured
my system (ant gain - connector losses - coax loss)

150 mhz total net gain 1.006 DBi
450 mhz total net gain 2.797 DBi
Antenna tip is 32'6" above ground

My proposed system would replace the RG 58 coax pieces
with a single section of Flexi 4XL and the antenna would
be a Comet GP-9. The new figures a

150 mhz total net gain 7.919 DBi
450 mhz total net gain 10.553 DBi
Antenna tip is 47'6" above ground

150 mhz = 6.913 db improvement
450 mhz = 7.756 db improvement
Antenna tip 15 feet higher

Cost - about $250 for the improvement.

Now here's my question - will I notice the improvement
enough? I've had several OM's tell me that on SSB, CW
or HF I would but not on 2m/440 simplex and repeaters.

Ken KG0WX