Old November 13th 04, 11:11 PM
carl wesser

Default in answer to tam/ WB2TT

the boom is about 14 feet, I'm going back and get all sizes..
of the 4 elements ,,2 appear to be identical, although I can only see where
3 elements were attached to boom, the owner said" all 4 "were on boom when
he took it apart
thanks
Carl
fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Old November 14th 04, 01:40 AM
w9gb

"carl wesser" wrote in message
the boom is about 14 feet, I'm going back and get all sizes..
of the 4 elements ,,2 appear to be identical, although I can only see
where
3 elements were attached to boom, the owner said" all 4 "were on boom when
he took it apart
thanks
Carl
fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Carl -

Actually, the antenna mounting hardware (boom to mast) and elements to boom
are usually give-aways -- as to who made the antenna. Another area to
carefully visually inspect is the matching system between coax / balun and
driven element.

Greg
w9gb

Old November 14th 04, 06:37 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"carl wesser" wrote in message
the boom is about 14 feet, I'm going back and get all sizes..
of the 4 elements ,,2 appear to be identical, although I can only see
where
3 elements were attached to boom, the owner said" all 4 "were on boom when
he took it apart
thanks
Carl
fffffffffffffffffffffffffff

OK, that would rule out the CushCraft A4, because it is on an 18 foot boom.
I found out that the TH4 uses 3 elements on 15/20, and 4 elements on 10. So,
one of the elements would not have a trap. But, the TH3 is on a 14 foot
boom, which seems to make it unlikely that the TH4 is also.

I wonder if the guy you got it from knows what he is talking about. If it
looks like there were only 3 elements, that could well be the case. I
recommend going to www.hy-gain.com and downloading the TH3 manual, to see if
what you got is similar. Also, that might explain the rods parallel to the
boom that you mentioned. I have the TH3 Mk4, and what you described earlier
sounds like the hairpin match.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 14th 04, 08:00 PM
w9gb

"carl wesser" wrote in message
the boom is about 14 feet, I'm going back and get all sizes..
of the 4 elements ,,2 appear to be identical, although I can only see
where
3 elements were attached to boom, the owner said" all 4 "were on boom when
he took it apart
thanks
Carl

Tam has a good point, since the Hy-Gain TH3 has a 14 foot boom, you can
start with its manual (adobe acrobat)
http://www.hy-gain.com/man/pdf/TH-3MK4.pdf

Hy-gain now calls the "hairpin match" a beta match (the match does make a
"fourth" connection to the boom) - this match has changed a bit from early
models. Also remember that the TH3 does not have a supplied balun.
Again, pay close attention to the type of brackets, swaging, etc. in the
manual versus your parts This should identify it as a HyGain antenna

w9gb