Old November 17th 04, 07:01 PM
Kevin Mills

Default Need help identifying an antenna connector

I apologize if this post is slightly off-topic for this group, but I'm
pretty sure you're the right crowd for the question...

I'm trying to connect a Yagi antenna to an old 915MHz WaveLAN wireless
access point (circa 1997). I have searched high and low, but cannot
figure out what type of connector I need. Since a picture is worth a
thousand words, I've taken the liberty of providing some visual aid!
Here is a picture of the mystery connector I'm hoping to identify:

http://kd7ump.ftml.net/WaveLANAntennaConnector.jpg

Now, this looks suspiciously like an SMB connector. Alas, it is not.
I had a custom pigtail cable made (for $38!) using an SMB connector
and it is not a match. Here is a picture of the mystery connector and
the SMB connector side-by-side:

http://kd7ump.ftml.net/WaveLAN-SMB.jpg

Close, but no go If anyone has an idea what this might be (or has
some other clever idea on how to get from the access point to a RP-TNC
connector) please, please let me know! And if you can cc: me via
email as well, that'd be swell - I don't want to miss your response.

73 - KD7UMP
Old November 17th 04, 09:05 PM
w9gb

"Kevin Mills" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Send an e-mail with photos to Cable Xperts. they did have the pigtails for
all major wireless hubs on market (at one point)
http://www.cablexperts.com/

Greg

Old November 18th 04, 01:28 AM

Hi, Greg.

Thanks for your reply. I did get a reply back from Cable Xperts who
theorized that it might be a QMA connector. They don't carry QMA
connectors anymore, but I found a picture of a QMA plug on Amphenol's
site and it isn't the right one

Anyone else have an idea?

Old November 18th 04, 05:50 AM
Crazy George

Kevin:

It is an "inverted" SMB. The FCC mandated non-standard connectors on wireless stuff to prevent casual tinkerers from
sticking yagis on them. Thus came "inverted" BNC, TNC, SMA, SMB, and a bunch of others with a female center pin in a
male body and vice- versa. Try Pasternack.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old November 18th 04, 11:29 PM
w9gb

[...]

Kevin -

It looks like a bit like reverse TNC. There were some proprietary
connectors and Lucent used the Proprietary ORiNOCO on many of their
products (late 1990s), Lucent and Orinoco used the same cards for some
models. Cross reference a connector known as: SMZ

Drop an e-mail to Fab Corp., and tell them exact model you have -- they
should be able to cross reference.
http://www.fab-corp.com/

Here are a couple of web sites to review:

http://www.rflinx.com/Support/wlan_r..._reference.htm

http://www.austinwireless.net/cgi-bi.../WirelessCards

Greg
w9gb

Old November 19th 04, 01:56 AM
Peter

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:50:10 -0600, "Crazy George"
wrote:

Kevin:

It is an "inverted" SMB. The FCC mandated non-standard connectors on wireless stuff to prevent casual tinkerers from
sticking yagis on them. Thus came "inverted" BNC, TNC, SMA, SMB, and a bunch of others with a female center pin in a
male body and vice- versa. Try Pasternack.

For which adapters to normal SMA s are now widely available over here
in the UK!

Peter, G3PHO