Old November 20th 04, 02:23 AM
phoneguy99

KG6TDX/AG DE VE3PMK

FB OM!

Old November 20th 04, 03:40 PM
Shadow_998

Great stuff, Cecil!
You raise and intersting point. I had not considered my call as confusing
but am wondering what my CQ's will generate in responses.

I am sorting out some radio issue here and hope to be sending on HF very
soon.

Thanks.

Russ KG6TDX

I have not made any contacts on cw yet other than the few I have set up in
advance with another local ham on 2 meters. I was planning on working HF
this weekend, but my Icom 706 G is not transmitting on the HF
bands--scratching my head...

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Shadow_998 wrote:
I am now KG6TDX/AG

Congratulations and I hope you have less trouble with the
'DX' in your call than I have. If you have my experience,
CW operators will respond to KG6T calling for 'DX'. :-)
It was even worse when I was KG7BK. All the CW operators
ever heard was 'BK'. They would send

-.- --. --... ..--..

and I would send

-.- --. --... -... -.-

and they would send

-.- --. --... ..--..

ad infinitum ... :-)
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old November 20th 04, 03:51 PM
Shadow_998

Dee,
I do have a preliminary HF station set up, but my 706 G is not transmitting
on HF for some reason. My 80-meter dipole is tuned to flat SWR but no luck.
I bought the radio new last January and have never transmitted on HF
(obviously). The last time I used 6-meters, it worked fine. It may be
warranty time...

I have other old radios in the closet: Johnson Valiant, Heathkit DX 40 and
RME 4350 receiver, but these need some tech time before putting them on the
air.

Thanks for the congrats! I feel like an 8 year old kid with a brand new
bicycle!

Russ KG6TDX

Congrats. You should have a lot of fun putting together an HF station.

Let
us know how it goes and of course we'll be here to answer questions.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 20th 04, 04:06 PM
Shadow_998

Tom, Thanks for the congrats. I am about 25 miles East of Sacramento in
the Sierra Nevada foothills. The town (so to speak) is "Latrobe" which is
really just a wide spot in the road! No stoplights, either. ;-)

Russ KG6TDX

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
. ..
Shadow_998 wrote:

I just wanted to say to this group: I am now KG6TDX/AG

I posted this to the antenna group because this is where I have posted

most
of my amateur radio questions over the past year (and have gotten the

best
answers as well!)

I hope to catch some of you on HF soon.

73, Russ

Congratulations. What part of 6 land are you in?

tom
K0TAR

Old November 20th 04, 07:39 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Shadow_998" wrote in message
news
Dee,
I do have a preliminary HF station set up, but my 706 G is not

transmitting
on HF for some reason. My 80-meter dipole is tuned to flat SWR but no

luck.
I bought the radio new last January and have never transmitted on HF
(obviously). The last time I used 6-meters, it worked fine. It may be
warranty time...

I have other old radios in the closet: Johnson Valiant, Heathkit DX 40

and
RME 4350 receiver, but these need some tech time before putting them on

the
air.

Thanks for the congrats! I feel like an 8 year old kid with a brand new
bicycle!

Russ KG6TDX

See if you can get a more experienced ham to come over and help you. It
could simply be that you don't have something set right. We all pulled that
stunt a time or two or dozen. I've been a ham for 12 years (Extra class)
and just this past Field Day I sat down to take my turn at the radio,
switched to CW, and nothing happened when I tried to transmit. It turns out
that I forgot to set the radio for break-in keying. My only excuse was that
I wasn't used to that radio but I should have checked.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 21st 04, 12:09 PM
Brian Kelly

Shadow_998 wrote:
I am now KG6TDX/AG

Congratulations and I hope you have less trouble with the
'DX' in your call than I have. If you have my experience,
CW operators will respond to KG6T calling for 'DX'. :-)
It was even worse when I was KG7BK. All the CW operators
ever heard was 'BK'. They would send

-.- --. --... ..--..

and I would send

-.- --. --... -... -.-

and they would send

-.- --. --... ..--..

ad infinitum ... :-)

Back when the opportunity came up to swap my original 1x3 callsign in
for my 1x2 W3BK which are my initials was available and my local buds
were all over me to grab it. But there was no way I was about to
voluntairily become "W3 BREAK".

w3rv
Old November 21st 04, 01:00 PM
J.Hoekstra

congratulations, i hope to work you once.
PE1AEQ Johan
"Ron" schreef in bericht
news
Congratulations KG6TDX

Ron AB4UA Summerville, SC

. com...

Old November 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
Robert Casey

Shadow_998 wrote:
I just wanted to say to this group: I am now KG6TDX/AG

Congrads. When you get a chance get the extra. Then
the entire ham radio allocations are at your fingertips.
Old November 22nd 04, 04:10 AM
Cecil Moore

Robert Casey wrote:

Shadow_998 wrote:
I just wanted to say to this group: I am now KG6TDX/AG

Congrads. When you get a chance get the extra. Then
the entire ham radio allocations are at your fingertips.

Just like they were at my fingertips with a Conditional
in the 50's.