Old November 22nd 04, 10:26 AM
RHF

Default DIY - Anyone built one of these - KIT : Deluxe Receiver HF Multicontroller (Multicoupler) Kit

Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project ?

Q#1 - Has anyone "Built" one of these Kits ?

KIT : Deluxe Receiver HF Multicontroller (Multicoupler) Kit by W8ZR

eBAY= http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5732753994
http://www.miami.muohio.edu/presiden...ller/index.htm
KIT= http://www.w8zr.net/multicontroller/

About "W8ZR" = http://www.w8zr.net/

Q#2 - How does the "Assembly" of the Kit go ?

Q#3 - Does the "Finished" Kit perform well enough so that it is
'worth' the Money and Time to built it ?

Q#4 - Are there 'cheaper' Lower Cost Ready-Made alternatives
to this "Kit" ?

iwtk ~ RHF
..
..
Old November 22nd 04, 12:44 PM
Mark S. Holden

RHF wrote:

Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project ?

Q#1 - Has anyone "Built" one of these Kits ?

KIT : Deluxe Receiver HF Multicontroller (Multicoupler) Kit by W8ZR

eBAY= http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5732753994
http://www.miami.muohio.edu/presiden...ller/index.htm
KIT= http://www.w8zr.net/multicontroller/

About "W8ZR" = http://www.w8zr.net/

Q#2 - How does the "Assembly" of the Kit go ?

Q#3 - Does the "Finished" Kit perform well enough so that it is
'worth' the Money and Time to built it ?

Q#4 - Are there 'cheaper' Lower Cost Ready-Made alternatives
to this "Kit" ?

iwtk ~ RHF
.
.

w8zr is a member of premium-rx and IIRC the project was mentioned in a
favorable light by Greg (The list owner) shortly before the article was
published.

There is a discussion group on the w8zr site where quite a few people
have left comments and questions resulting from building and using the
multicoupler.

http://unixgen.muohio.edu/~garlanjc/multicontroller/postings.htm

Old November 22nd 04, 03:48 PM
w9gb

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project ?

Q#1 - Has anyone "Built" one of these Kits ?

KIT : Deluxe Receiver HF Multicontroller (Multicoupler) Kit by W8ZR

eBAY= http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5732753994
http://www.miami.muohio.edu/presiden...ller/index.htm
KIT= http://www.w8zr.net/multicontroller/

About "W8ZR" = http://www.w8zr.net/

Q#2 - How does the "Assembly" of the Kit go ?

Q#3 - Does the "Finished" Kit perform well enough so that it is
'worth' the Money and Time to built it ?

Q#4 - Are there 'cheaper' Lower Cost Ready-Made alternatives
to this "Kit" ?

iwtk ~ RHF

About 1/2 way through ... job interruptions !!
As mentioned, discussion group comments on the W8ZR web site, helpful.
.... hopefully will finish mine during Christmas holidays.

Greg
w9gb

Old November 22nd 04, 08:37 PM
Brian Hill

Just from the looks of it. I would say it's quite a bit of equipment for the
price if your willing to do the work.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old November 24th 04, 03:52 AM
Michael St. Angelo

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project ?

Q#1 - Has anyone "Built" one of these Kits ?

Yes. I enjoy building. I usually build something, test it out, and go to the
next project.

Q#2 - How does the "Assembly" of the Kit go ?

The kit is for an intermediate builder. It went well because the assembly is
well
documented. The is lots of mechanical assembly on the front and rear panels
because
of the number of switches, LED's and connectors.

Q#3 - Does the "Finished" Kit perform well enough so that it is
'worth' the Money and Time to built it ?

It does a good job, and the construction is solid but the video amplifier
chip
is noisier than passive splitters. I have lots of receivers in the workshop
and
having the ability to drive 8 receivers is a godsend, however. I also
listen to low
frequency signals (below 500khz) and it does a good job in this region. For
lf reception I replaced the 0.1uf coupling capacitors with 1.0uf units.

Q#4 - Are there 'cheaper' Lower Cost Ready-Made alternatives
to this "Kit" ?

The purpose of the switches is to enable each receiver by controlling the
mute.
If you don't need to control the mute of you receivers and don't need a
preamp
you might look a some passive splitters from minicircuits labs. The passive
splitters
will have loss, however. A 4 way splitter has 6db loss; an 8 way splitter
9db, so you would
need a preamp.

Old November 24th 04, 06:01 AM
RHF

= = = "Michael St. Angelo" wrote in message
= = = ...
"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

MSA,

Thank You for your Reply as well as the replies of the others.

tyvm ~ RHF
..
..