Old November 27th 04, 09:34 PM
Zachary Taylor

Default Dumb Question Dept. - Antenna Angle

I have a sloper that is 73 feet long.
The high end is 34 feet high, and the low end is 8 feet high.
What angle is the antenna?

It's a shame I can't figure out something I should have learned
in the 6th grade; but I don't know how to set the problem up.

Thanks,
Zack
Old November 27th 04, 10:08 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Zachary Taylor" wrote in message
I have a sloper that is 73 feet long.
The high end is 34 feet high, and the low end is 8 feet high.
What angle is the antenna?

It's a shame I can't figure out something I should have learned
in the 6th grade; but I don't know how to set the problem up.

Thanks,
Zack

Rise = 34-8 feet = 26 feet
hypotenuse = 73 feet

angle = arcsin of rise/hypotenuse = arcsin (28/73) = approximately 20.9°
between the ground and the wire.

The angle between a vertical support at the apex and the wire is then
90°-20.9° or 69.1°

Old November 27th 04, 10:10 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Zachary Taylor" wrote in message
I have a sloper that is 73 feet long.
The high end is 34 feet high, and the low end is 8 feet high.
What angle is the antenna?

It's a shame I can't figure out something I should have learned
in the 6th grade; but I don't know how to set the problem up.

Thanks,
Zack

arcsin(26/73)=20.86482
degrees

73, H.

Old November 27th 04, 10:04 PM
James

Zachary Taylor wrote:

I have a sloper that is 73 feet long.
The high end is 34 feet high, and the low end is 8 feet high.
What angle is the antenna?

It's a shame I can't figure out something I should have learned
in the 6th grade; but I don't know how to set the problem up.

Thanks,
Zack

Easy answer. Do a web search for Trigonometry angle solver and you'll
discover that quite a few people have written little web sites where you
can enter in side-side-side lengths or side-angle-side and the remaining
angles and side lengths will be caluclated automatically.

I've used them. Don't feel bad, most of us have long forgotten
trigonometry.

Jimmy
Old December 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Dave Bushong

[lots snipped]
I've used them. Don't feel bad, most of us have long forgotten
trigonometry.

I remember the words to Alice Cooper's "18 and I like it" but I don't
remember where I put my car keys yesterday.

Strangely, I do remember trig.

But isn't it great to ask a question on a newsgroup and get a bunch of
great answers, instead of smart-aleck answers? I'm still reading them
before I post a serious reply, regarding take-off angle, vs. antenna
angle, and HAAT/HAG.

Good luck to you, Mr. President (the original poster, that is, Zachary
Taylor).

73,
KZ1O

Old November 27th 04, 10:21 PM
Roy Lewallen

Make a right triangle, with the sloper as the hypotenuse. One apex of
the triangle is the higher sloper wire end. Go straight downward from
there 34 - 8 = 26 feet to form the second side of the triangle. Then go
from there straight horizontally to the lower sloper wire end to form
the third side. The following isn't to scale, but it should give you the
idea. View it with your browser set to a fixed, not porportional, font:

/
/ |
sloper / |
73' / | 26'
/ |
/ |
/__A_______________|

The answer to your question requires basic trigonometry, usually taught
in high school in the U.S., so 6th grade math won't quite cut it. Of
course, you could draw it to scale on a piece of paper and use a
protractor to determine the angle, and that would be adequately accurate
for most purposes.

Angle A is the angle the sloper is tilted upward or downward from
horizontal. The sine of an angle in a right triangle = the length of the
side opposite the angle divided by the length of the hypotenuse, which
for angle A is 26/73. So we know that the sine of A = 26/73 = 0.356. In
this day and age, the way to find the angle once we know its sine is to
use a (scientific) pocket calculator. The function we want is "arcsin",
"ASIN", "inverse sine", or "SIN^-1", all of which mean "the angle whose
sine has this value". I notice that the calculator which comes with my
XP operating system (in the Accessories folder) has this function. If
you have one in your operating system, first make sure the "Degrees"
selection is made in the upper right (assuming you want the answer in
degrees). Then enter .356 into the calculator, check the Inv box (so
you'll get the inverse sine), and finally click the "sin" button. The
answer, with a ridiculous number of digits, is about 21 degrees.

You don't have to take a course in trig to learn and use the basic
functions sine, cosine, and tangent, which are just ratios of the
various sides of right triangles. (The cosine is the length of the
adjacent side divided by the length of the hypotenuse, and the tangent
is the length of the opposite side divided by the length of the adjacent
side.) With that knowledge and an inexpensive (or free) calculator, you
can easily solve problems like this.

Roy Lewallen

Old November 27th 04, 10:22 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:34:41 GMT, Zachary Taylor
wrote:

I have a sloper that is 73 feet long.
The high end is 34 feet high, and the low end is 8 feet high.
What angle is the antenna?

It's a shame I can't figure out something I should have learned
in the 6th grade; but I don't know how to set the problem up.

Thanks,
Zack

Hi Zack,

Well, not 6th grade material, but for my students in the Navy (and I
sure didn't invent this memory aid):

For the conventional usage
S sine C cosine T tangent O opposite A adjacent H hypotenuse
where you choose one corner or angle (but not the right angle) of any
right triangle and the terms mean:
O the length of the side Opposite that angle
A the length of the side Adjacent to the angle
H the length of the Hypotenuse

S = ----

C = ----

T = ----

What kept it in memory. Reading down columns gives
S C T O H A H O A
or
Sally Could Tell Oscar/Had A/Hard On/Always

You know the Opposite (26) and the Hypotenuse (73) which would give
you the sine (0.3562), take the arcsin of this value to find the angle
(21°).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 27th 04, 11:02 PM
Zachary Taylor

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:34:41 GMT, Zachary Taylor wrote:

[snip]

I'd like to thank everyone for the good (and quick!) answers.

This is a great group.

P.S. I just looked up someone I heard on the CW contest. Check out
his little antenna farm:
http://andor.net/ve6jy/ve6jy-siteinfo.html

And don't miss his little 80 meter yagi; it only weighs 1,200 pounds,
and yes, it rotates:
http://andor.net/ve6jy/ve6jy-80m.html

I'm glad envy can't kill, or we'd all be dead men

Zack
Old December 5th 04, 07:58 PM
Dave Bushong

Zachary Taylor wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:34:41 GMT, Zachary Taylor wrote:

[snip]

I'd like to thank everyone for the good (and quick!) answers.

This is a great group.

P.S. I just looked up someone I heard on the CW contest. Check out
his little antenna farm:
http://andor.net/ve6jy/ve6jy-siteinfo.html

And don't miss his little 80 meter yagi; it only weighs 1,200 pounds,
and yes, it rotates:
http://andor.net/ve6jy/ve6jy-80m.html

I'm glad envy can't kill, or we'd all be dead men

Zack

Zack,

Is that really your name (12th President of the US)? If you are a ham,
you aren't in QRZ.COM. Although there is one guy who lives on Zachary
Taylor Highway (KG4FUA).

Anyway, be sure that you update us how your experiments go, whether good
or bad. Don't make us re-invent the wheel.

73,
Dave
Old November 27th 04, 11:04 PM
SideBand

Zachary Taylor wrote:
I have a sloper that is 73 feet long.
The high end is 34 feet high, and the low end is 8 feet high.
What angle is the antenna?

It's a shame I can't figure out something I should have learned
in the 6th grade; but I don't know how to set the problem up.

Thanks,
Zack

SOH CAH TOA

Sin = Opposite over Hypotenuse
Cos = Adjacent over Hypotenuse
Tan = Opposite over Adjacent

34-8=26

So the Opposite is 26
the Hypotenuse is 73
Sin(theta) = 26/73 = 0.35616438356164383561643835616438

So Theta = ArcSin(0.35616438356164383561643835616438) =
20.864823641018812055586761532415 degrees

Or somewhere close to 21 degrees, if you're into rounding.

HTH

de AI8W, Chris