Old November 28th 04, 03:30 AM
John Smith

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

John Smith wrote:

About 21 degrees. For calculation purposes, mentally move the antenna
down 8 feet. So you now have a triangle with altitude of 26 feet and a
hypotenuse of 73 feet. The sine of the angle you want is 26/73 or .3562.
The cosine of .3562 is 20.86 degrees.

If you don't frequently use what you have learned, it evaporates. . .

True enough -- "cosine" above should be "arcsin". The arcsin of a number
is the inverse sine, or the angle whose sine is the number. Cosine is a
different trigonometric function, defined by a ratio of different sides
than the sine.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I _knew_ I would screw it up! Thanks, Roy.

John

Old December 1st 04, 09:44 PM
Ian Jackson

SOH CAH TOA

Sin = Opposite over Hypotenuse
Cos = Adjacent over Hypotenuse
Tan = Opposite over Adjacent

Some People Have (sin = perpendicular/hypotenuse)
Curly Black Hair (cosine = base/hypotenuse)
Though Painted Brown (tangent = perpendicular/base)
I've never forgotten it.
Ian.

Old December 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Dave Bushong

[lots snipped]
I've used them. Don't feel bad, most of us have long forgotten
trigonometry.

I remember the words to Alice Cooper's "18 and I like it" but I don't
remember where I put my car keys yesterday.

Strangely, I do remember trig.

But isn't it great to ask a question on a newsgroup and get a bunch of
great answers, instead of smart-aleck answers? I'm still reading them
before I post a serious reply, regarding take-off angle, vs. antenna
angle, and HAAT/HAG.

Good luck to you, Mr. President (the original poster, that is, Zachary
Taylor).

73,
KZ1O
Old December 5th 04, 07:58 PM
Dave Bushong

Zachary Taylor wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:34:41 GMT, Zachary Taylor wrote:

[snip]

I'd like to thank everyone for the good (and quick!) answers.

This is a great group.

P.S. I just looked up someone I heard on the CW contest. Check out
his little antenna farm:
http://andor.net/ve6jy/ve6jy-siteinfo.html

And don't miss his little 80 meter yagi; it only weighs 1,200 pounds,
and yes, it rotates:
http://andor.net/ve6jy/ve6jy-80m.html

I'm glad envy can't kill, or we'd all be dead men

Zack

Zack,

Is that really your name (12th President of the US)? If you are a ham,
you aren't in QRZ.COM. Although there is one guy who lives on Zachary
Taylor Highway (KG4FUA).

Anyway, be sure that you update us how your experiments go, whether good
or bad. Don't make us re-invent the wheel.

73,
Dave
Old December 6th 04, 12:22 AM
SideBand

Ian Jackson wrote:

SOH CAH TOA

Sin = Opposite over Hypotenuse
Cos = Adjacent over Hypotenuse
Tan = Opposite over Adjacent

Some People Have (sin = perpendicular/hypotenuse)
Curly Black Hair (cosine = base/hypotenuse)
Though Painted Brown (tangent = perpendicular/base)
I've never forgotten it.
Ian.

Another great way to remember it..

It was beat into me by a Jr High Teacher, and I've just never forgotten
it this way... The Indian Chief SohCahToa...

73 de AI8W, Chris