Old December 3rd 04, 04:36 AM
Walt Stanley

Default Attach antenna to FM radio

I need some help from you experts. I have a radio that uses the power
cord as the antenna. I need a better antenna but have no idea where
to add it. I don't know if just soldering a length of wire to the
connection point of the ground wire would help or better to add a two
wire antenna. I just don't know where to add the wires, if it is
possible.
TIA, Walt
Old December 3rd 04, 07:13 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:36:09 -0500, Walt Stanley
wrote:

I need some help from you experts. I have a radio that uses the power
cord as the antenna. I need a better antenna but have no idea where
to add it. I don't know if just soldering a length of wire to the
connection point of the ground wire would help or better to add a two
wire antenna. I just don't know where to add the wires, if it is
possible.

Hi Walt,

A ground wire wouldn't be advisable, I wonder if you have anything
metal (that actually went to a ground in the set) to attach to anyway.
Sounds like your set is powered with a two prong, polarized plug and
the case is probably plastic as a safety consideration.

As for an external antenna - again there seems to be no provision, nor
expectation that this is even an option. As it appears it is
intimately tied into the power cord, trying to preserve that feature
and/or attaching your own connection may be lethal.

About the only remaining choice is for passive coupling where you take
an external antenna, bring its lead down and wrap it several times
around the cord (or tape it along its length) and hope. Leave all
insulations intact, this is simply a function of proximity, not
connection. Even this is a spin of the wheel.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old December 3rd 04, 01:54 PM
Walt Stanley

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Richard:
Yes you are right about the radio. I'll try the wrapping "and hope".
Walt
Old December 5th 04, 09:08 PM
Dave Bushong

Walt Stanley wrote:
I need some help from you experts. I have a radio that uses the power
cord as the antenna. I need a better antenna but have no idea where
to add it. I don't know if just soldering a length of wire to the
connection point of the ground wire would help or better to add a two
wire antenna. I just don't know where to add the wires, if it is
possible.
TIA, Walt

Typically there is a metal clamp, either inside or outside the plastic
case of the radio, around an inch long and 1/4" wide, that bolts to the
power cord. This is a capacitive coupler. You can safely add a wire to
that piece of metal, the wire being as long as you want. For FM
broadcast, 5 or 6 feet should be adequate. Use an alligator clip
instead of soldering (in case you change your mind later, or to avoid
melting the power cord).

Email me directly if you want, and I will send you a JPG of what the one
on my bedside clock looks like. It's old, but I doubt that it's changed
much.

Dave