Old December 10th 04, 09:30 PM
Gary

On 10 Dec 2004 06:30:32 -0800, "
wrote:

The loss on coax with that kind of a mismatch is around 90%. You are
better off with open wire feeds, especially since you have a tuner
available..even if it is MFJ ( Hi ).

grin
An open wire fed 40 meter dipole will produce a fine multiband
antenna..take that to the bank!
Jim

Thanks to all that replied. I knew it was probably somewhat lossy but
I didn't know it was as bad as has been pointed out. I'll have to
think about feeding it with open wire or twinlead when the weather is
more suitable here in Michigan.

73 and Thanks again.

Gary K8IQ
Old December 11th 04, 04:14 PM
Crazy George

You know, Gary, there is another option which no one mentioned. Add a 30M dipole under the 40M job and use the same
feedline. You will likely have to adjust the length of the 40M wire slightly to return the VSWR to the present value,
but you will then have a good antenna for both bands. See any number of references about actual mechanical
construction.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old December 12th 04, 05:16 AM
Gary

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:14:26 -0600, "Crazy George"
wrote:

You know, Gary, there is another option which no one mentioned. Add a 30M dipole under the 40M job and use the same
feedline. You will likely have to adjust the length of the 40M wire slightly to return the VSWR to the present value,
but you will then have a good antenna for both bands. See any number of references about actual mechanical
construction.

Thanks for the idea George, I hadn't thought of that one. I knew the
30M into the 40 dipole wasn't the best in the world as I didn't hear
the signals on 30 that I would expect to hear but I didn't know it was
as lossy as pointed out. I'll have to give it a go this spring or
summer.

73 Gary K8IQ