Old April 14th 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default DX77A resurrection?

I have been trying to get a DX77A to work, perhaps for the first time.
I have had little luck with the thing and I think perhaps the best thing is to create a series of tent stakes from it!
I have worked with the antenna setup, using the original measurements and tried tuning with my antenna analyzer.
I thought I was close and then I swung the thing up and now it is pretty much useless per the MFJ analyzer.
The best SWR I could get was 3:1 at pretty close to the frequencies required.
Reading the manual the statement was if the SWR could not be gotten down then the problem might be in the balun.
I pulled the balun and resoldered the connections (pretty dirty connections).
After resoldering the best I could do was no dip whatever.
Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the balun?
There is a current choke at the input and then another unun in the output with some caps and the RF choke to ground for protection.
Any experience with this thing?
I can say that it is without a doubt the most irritating antenna ever!
By the way I have gone through all of the traps etc cleaning the connections and tightening everything up.
Originally I could easily get close to 1:1 on 10 meters, but now NADA.