Old August 30th 03, 07:10 PM
W5DXP

G.Balinski wrote:
I have done side by side comparison of a 102" whip tuned by an AH-4
equivalent vs. a resonant style antenna such as the Hustler series. On
40m, There was a repeatable 1 "S"unit difference in rx signal and tx signal
strength. I did not have the chance to check it on other bands, but the
difference would probably decrease as you got closer to 10m, and increase as
you went to 75/80m

As a matter of fact, it was measured on 75m. My 11.5' whip with an SGC-230
tuner was 12dB down from my top-loaded junk box antenna. That's two (or more)
S-units. A 9' whip would be even worse. Why spend all that money on a tuner
that dissipates 94% more power than a tuned 75m mobile antenna that costs
less than the tuner?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 30th 03, 07:32 PM
H. Adam Stevens

Hey Cecil
I have both the AT180 and the AH4.
They're on a shelf.
In a closet.
I use a resonant Hustler with a toroidal matching transformer.
I want a screwdriver-type antenna.
73
H.
NQ5H

OB 706 comment: Good radio. Great audio.
Have one in the truck.

Old August 30th 03, 07:44 PM
Cecil Moore

H. Adam Stevens wrote:

Hey Cecil
I have both the AT180 and the AH4.
They're on a shelf.
In a closet.

To be fair, if all anyone wants to cover mobile is 20m-10m,
an 11.5' whip and an SGC-230 did a remarkable job for me.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp