Old December 20th 04, 12:00 AM
Shadow 998

Default What is a good Screwdriver Antenna?

Hello All, I'm looking at installing my 706 G in the truck for HF use and
am looking for suggestions as to which screwdriver antenna (or other?) you
would recommend.

It will go on a small truck.

Thanks!

Russ
KG6TDX

Old December 20th 04, 01:28 AM
David G. Nagel

Shadow 998 wrote:
Hello All, I'm looking at installing my 706 G in the truck for HF use and
am looking for suggestions as to which screwdriver antenna (or other?) you
would recommend.

It will go on a small truck.

Thanks!

Russ
KG6TDX

Russ;

I had a High Sierra Pro installed on my Honda Element. It seemed to do a
good job until it was the target of an automobile bumper. The antenna
survived in fairly good condition. The tip of the whip was bent slightly
due to whipping around in the impact. The barrel of the lower unit was
slightly damaged but not broken. The plastic weather protection tube was
broken at the top where the cap is screwed into it. The only other
damage was to the mounting bracket. I used a tiltout mounting bracket on
a receiver hitch to hold everything on the car. The bottom of the hinge
bracket snapped off at the hitch mount.
I have repaired everything and the antenna seems to be working great. I
can't speak more highly about this antenna.
For range all I can report is making contacts from St. Louis to
Indianapolis. I was vertically polarized and the other station was NVIS.
The rig is an Icom 706MKIIG.
I also am using an Outbacker Perth Plus but I am not really satisfied
with it. It could be the fault of the installation, I really don't know.

Dave Nagel WD9BDZ
Old December 20th 04, 03:09 AM

High Sierra, had really good luck with them. Good performance, solid
construction.
Steve W7AZF
http://www.cq73.com/FramePages/hsaSet.htm

Old December 20th 04, 12:31 PM
Scott

I have a Perth Plus (Outbacker) and I think the antenna works wonderful.
However, I do know from experience that installation location seems to
be critical. I used to have it mounted on a ladder rack on an Astro van
with its ground wire attached directly to the roof with a small bolt and
nut. Worked GREAT! Now it's on my F-150 on a mount I made up that goes
into my receiver hitch. I ran a 1" wide ground strap from the truck
frame up to the top of the mount, where I attached the antennas ground
wire to. Now the tuning of the whip is way off from the marks and I can
only get it tuned on 75M through about 17M. Works great when tuned on
these bands, but someday I'll miss 15M-10M...

Scott
N0EDV

Old December 20th 04, 01:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Scott wrote:
Now it's on my F-150 on a mount I made up that goes
into my receiver hitch. I ran a 1" wide ground strap from the truck
frame up to the top of the mount, where I attached the antennas ground
wire to. Now the tuning of the whip is way off from the marks and I can
only get it tuned on 75M through about 17M. Works great when tuned on
these bands, but someday I'll miss 15M-10M...

I had the same problem with a configuration like that. The ground
strap is a radiating part of the antenna and is ground at one end
and not ground at the feedpoint. On the higher frequencies, it is
an appreciable percentage of a wavelength so the antenna is too
long. In addition, the feedpoint is located away from the ground
point something like a gamma match. Here's what it looks like:

radiating
GND---gnd strap---FP---------antenna-------------

The solution is to ground the system at the FP feedpoint. For me,
that was at the top of my tail gate.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 20th 04, 05:31 PM
Shadow 998

Thanks all for the tips. I looked up High Sierra, and the factory is only
about 65 miles away from here which would be convenient if it came to
warranty work.

I'll investigate those further.

Russ

Old December 21st 04, 02:43 AM
David G. Nagel

Scott;

Thanks for the remarks about your installation. I have not given up hope
for my Plus just yet. I think our problem with the receiver hitch
installation is the mass of metal on the back of the vehicles. My
hatchback and your tailgate. The manual does state that we should keep
the antenna as far from large surfaces of metal parallel to the antenna.
I am going to try using a mast to elevate the antennas above the top of
the van and see what happens.

Dave WD9BDZ

Old December 21st 04, 01:36 PM
JD

Well thats the problem, you have it on a ford. I think you need to buy
another astro Van :) Actually I have that same kind of arrangement on my
Astro using the trailer drawbar with a Iron horse 40m stick. grounded to
chassis. and it works great!
JD VE3DIX

Old December 21st 04, 02:58 PM
'Doc

Russ,
The biggest difference in most of the screwdriver type
antennas is mechanical, how it's put together, how well it
will stand up under use (and price!). Electrically, most
are basically the same except in power handling ability.
It's been a few years since I did any investigating of
screwdriver antennas so what I know about them isn't
exactly current, but I seriously doubt if there have been
any great 'break-throughs' in design. In general (meaning
that there are always exceptions), pick one that you 'like'
the looks of, can afford, and won't tip your vehicle over.
All the rest is just advertising 'hype'...
'Doc
Old December 22nd 04, 11:35 PM
Jerry

"Shadow 998" wrote in message
.. .
Hello All, I'm looking at installing my 706 G in the truck for HF use and
am looking for suggestions as to which screwdriver antenna (or other?) you
would recommend.

It will go on a small truck.

Thanks!

Russ
KG6TDX

May I suggest the Carolina Cyclone antenna? I am the builder of this product
and I can save you a bit of money.
I build them of .065 wall aluminum, the coils are of black nylon and the
wire is #14 tinned copper wound at 8 turns per inch. They are solid
performers and come in 2" and 3" diameters. Most screwdrivers are basically
the same, but one should avoid those that use PVC coil forms and flimsy
contact stock. Mine have no PVC and all parts are machined for precise fit
and finish. Before you purchase, won't you visit www.qsl.net/k4kwh . I can
save you money on your purchase and give you pleasing asthetics and
perfomance as well. The Carolina Cyclone has been shipped all over the USA
and are serving well (www.eham.net) .

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,

Jerry
K4KWH