Old December 20th 04, 02:33 AM
W4JLE

Default Radiation angle vs turns count in a coil

I was discussing the construction of a screw driver antenna, and an off hand
remark was made by a fellow ham. "Wind the loading coil 8 turns per inch
for local and 10 to 11 1/2 turns per inch for DX as the angle of radiation
changes"

Can someone explain this to me?

Old December 20th 04, 02:41 AM
Roy Lewallen

My explanation is that the person who told you this doesn't understand
how antennas work. It's total BS.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old December 20th 04, 03:03 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

I was discussing the construction of a screw driver antenna, and an off hand
remark was made by a fellow ham. "Wind the loading coil 8 turns per inch
for local and 10 to 11 1/2 turns per inch for DX as the angle of radiation
changes"

Can someone explain this to me?

1. Depends which off hand.

2. Missing few turns in the cranium.

3. Must be that last 1/2 turn that lures the DX.

4. Effect of CB on ham brains.

5. That's nothing, on eHam.net one m0ron is trying to stir up the pot with
drive to "legalize" the music and broadcasting on ham bands. Can you picture
500 K1MANs playing ethnic music between 7200 - 7300? Far out man!

6. Stupid is what stupid does?

7. Fuggetaboutit.

8. Merry Christmas to all!
Old December 20th 04, 03:56 AM
Dale Parfitt

"W4JLE" wrote in message
I was discussing the construction of a screw driver antenna, and an off

hand
remark was made by a fellow ham. "Wind the loading coil 8 turns per inch
for local and 10 to 11 1/2 turns per inch for DX as the angle of radiation
changes"

Can someone explain this to me?

Fellow ham does not have a clue as to what determines radiation angle.

Complete and utter nonsense.
Dale W4OP

Old December 20th 04, 04:16 AM
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:33:45 -0500, "W4JLE" wrote:

|I was discussing the construction of a screw driver antenna, and an off hand
|remark was made by a fellow ham. "Wind the loading coil 8 turns per inch
|for local and 10 to 11 1/2 turns per inch for DX as the angle of radiation
|changes"
|
|Can someone explain this to me?

Sure, but if I told you I'd have to kill you. (I can give you a hint:
it's really the change from 11 to 11 1/2 turns/inch that makes all of
the difference)

Old December 20th 04, 05:24 AM
Reg Edwards

Why the uproar? It's no more nonsensical than some of the rubbish issued by
some of the old wives who frequent this newsgroup.

Have a merry Xmas all.
---
Reg.

Old December 20th 04, 05:44 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:24:40 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:
Why the uproar?

Free the Chicago 7
Old December 20th 04, 01:32 PM
Tom Donaly

Richard Clark wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:24:40 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Why the uproar?

Free the Chicago 7

And while you're at it, you can reunite Gondwanaland.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old December 20th 04, 01:34 PM
Tom Donaly

W4JLE wrote:

I was discussing the construction of a screw driver antenna, and an off hand
remark was made by a fellow ham. "Wind the loading coil 8 turns per inch
for local and 10 to 11 1/2 turns per inch for DX as the angle of radiation
changes"

Can someone explain this to me?

Why not get a protractor and measure it?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old December 20th 04, 09:35 PM
K7ITM

One other explanation...he knows full well it doesn't make a bit of
difference and was just testing to see if anyone would bite. (Does he
sell speaker cables on the side?)

Cheers,
Tom