Old December 31st 04, 03:46 AM
Kristinn Andersen, TF3KX

Default Antenna impedance analyzer comparison

Hi - I am looking for an impedance analyzer. Primarily for antenna
measurements (only 1,8-30 MHz) and secondarily for misc. lab
measurements (L,C,Q measurements, signal generation, etc.). The
possibilities I have been looking at are (in no particular order,
prices approximate):

a) MFJ-259B ($300)
b) MFJ-269 ($220)
c) AEA VIA ($600)
d) Autek VA1 ($200)
d) Micro908 kit from AmQRP ($210)
e) N2PK Vector Network Analyzer project ($150)

At first glance I have the following points/questions:

- Does MFJ-269 offer anything over 259B in addition to VHF/UHF?
- W8WWV tests (web) don't indicate that AEA VIA performs better than
the MFJs.
- Micro908 is new. Any experiences, comments on impedance accuracy?
- N2PK may be the most accurate(?) but needs a PC and involved
construction.
- Any comments on the Autek?

All suggestions are appreciated, based on experience and technical
quality.

73s de Kristinn, TF3KX
Old December 31st 04, 04:35 PM

I have the Autek RF1 and enjoy it a lot. My only comment is that
battery consumption is probably more of an issue than people realize.
I feel sorry for those with an analyser that uses a lot of batteries.
My Autek is small and power consumption is low, but even then,
replacing the single 9v battery is a pain because it always fails when
I'm somewhere up in the air!.

Old December 31st 04, 07:04 PM
chuck

I've used an Autek VA1 for a few years. Carried it on a
sailboat to the Bahamas (in a plastic sack). No problems
with it at all. I unplug the battery when it is not in use.
The VA1 is a very useful piece of equipment.

My opinion of Autek construction and documentation, however,
is that it makes MFJ look good.

73,

Chuck
Old December 31st 04, 08:52 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Kristinn Andersen, TF3KX" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I am looking for an impedance analyzer. Primarily for antenna
measurements (only 1,8-30 MHz) and secondarily for misc. lab
measurements (L,C,Q measurements, signal generation, etc.). The
possibilities I have been looking at are (in no particular order,
prices approximate):

a) MFJ-259B ($300)
b) MFJ-269 ($220)
c) AEA VIA ($600)
d) Autek VA1 ($200)
d) Micro908 kit from AmQRP ($210)
e) N2PK Vector Network Analyzer project ($150)

Comparing the N2PK VNA to the others is not quite fair as it is in a league

by itself- like comparing a go cart to a BMW.

Dale W4OP

Old December 31st 04, 09:22 PM
Bob Nielsen

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:52:10 GMT, Dale Parfitt wrote:

"Kristinn Andersen, TF3KX" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I am looking for an impedance analyzer. Primarily for antenna
measurements (only 1,8-30 MHz) and secondarily for misc. lab
measurements (L,C,Q measurements, signal generation, etc.). The
possibilities I have been looking at are (in no particular order,
prices approximate):

a) MFJ-259B ($300)
b) MFJ-269 ($220)
c) AEA VIA ($600)
d) Autek VA1 ($200)
d) Micro908 kit from AmQRP ($210)
e) N2PK Vector Network Analyzer project ($150)

Comparing the N2PK VNA to the others is not quite fair as it is in a league

by itself- like comparing a go cart to a BMW.

Maybe not a league of its own--for another VNA (not out yet, but
hopefully soon), see http://www.tapr.org.

Old December 31st 04, 10:04 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Bob Nielsen" wrote in message
[...]

I looked at this at Dayton- from memory, I seem to recall the dynamic range
was nowhere close to Paul's design and software at that time was rather
crude. I'll look again, but for the price, Paul's design is hard to beat-
accuracy right up there with the Agilent 40 Gigabuck units.
Dale W4OP

Old January 1st 05, 12:08 AM
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear Kristinn:
I have used the AEA CIA for several years. It has worked well for me.
It is normally used as a swept frequency instrument so one may see SWR (or
other things) vs. frequency on its screen. I think that the other units
display information for one frequency at a time.

I work with antennas and networks where it is important to be able to
see the whole picture. You may not need that capability. Some people have
found the ability to record an antenna's swr vs. frequency to be valuable.

It gets cold in Michigan and in your country. You may wish to ask if
any of the units you list have problems when it is cold.

Let us all know what you decided.
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old January 1st 05, 03:44 PM
Stephen Tompsett

[...]

I have used three of these

MFJ-259B - OK while it was working, but it has failed twice. I do
not recommend!
Autek VA1 - Nice - but fiddley to use build quality not good
eats batteries!
AEA VIA - Very nice, the display makes on-site adjustments and checks
easy, ability to store and transfer data to a PC is useful
Solid build - won't run off NICAD/NIMH - it needs 12V!
N.B. I find the third party PC software better than the
official AEA software

73's Stephen G8LYB
Old January 1st 05, 05:08 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Stephen Tompsett wrote:
[...]

At the time I attempted to review the AEA-CIA a few years ago, my worry
was with the built-in firmware, which produced weird results in R-X mode
(like, physically impossible).

The difference between the "amateur" and "professional" leagues for
impedance measurement is that the professional Vector Network Analysers
use a calibration procedure to compensate for their own internal errors.
This boosts the measurement accuracy into a completely different league.

Of all the ones mentioned, only the N2PK and the TAPR designs can do
this. All the others really are playing in the amateur league.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old January 3rd 05, 05:37 AM
Rick Karlquist N6RK

The N2PK would be the best, except that it only runs when
connected to a laptop. I don't have a laptop, and if I did, I
wouldn't want to carry it out to the antennas, and furthermore,
laptop displays are usually not visible outdoors during daylight.
All the others don't work if you have nearby AM BCB stations
like I do.

Still looking for an antenna analyzer I can really use.

Rick N6RK