Old March 16th 21, 07:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default [ZS6BNE] RaDAR - The QSO Today virtual expo 2021

ZS6BNE's Blog

RaDAR - The QSO Today virtual expo 2021

https://zs6bne.wordpress.com/2021/03...ual-expo-2021/

In South Africa we are experiencing a lot of load shedding, two and a half
hours at a time sometimes twice a day! It so happened too when I was
supposed to join in via Airmeet on my pre submitted RaDAR presentation
hosted by QSO Todays virtual expo.

In between these power failures I really battled to navigate the website
and once I got reasonably familiar with the layout I was unable to get my
video and microphone to work so it wouldnt have helped to even implement
emergency power and get online.

Ed DD5LP was the host for the session and he sent me a mail later that he
was able to successfully broadcast the presentation. In effect, Ed saved
the day. Thank you Ed! Ed sent me some Q&As which I will try to reply to
here on my blog and can be distributed easily.

Ralph KR6AI from what Ive seen it depends on the environment and the target
area. Ive seen hamss using Alex loops, verticals near salt water and end
feds. I prefer end feds as it is easy to deploy and here in South Africa we
are many hops away from DX so I usually concentrate on NVIS communications.

Theodore KD2TGO the official RaDAR website is one I maintain and can be
accessed at http://www.radarops.co.za however RaDAR is an experience and
many use social media platforms to share experiences and many videos are
available on You Tube. The more we become RaDAR active internationally the
more we can see the experience of others and also share our own experiences
in the same way.

Usually low power equipment like a KX2 / KX3 / FT-817 and even the new QRP
Labs QCX Mini. Antennas are usually made of wire. For satellite
communications I use a TH-D7A(g) which has a duplex facility. Antennas for
satellite communications can be home brewed very easily or you can use the
popular makes like those from Arrow antennas.

Jim N7RCS I would love to write an article. I would need some contact
information and guidelines.

Dennis KD9KMK I did one challenge in a canoe. It was quite challenging but
one can row to a point, climb out and deploy your station after moving a
kilometer. Unfortunately our river dried up for reasons beyond our control
so my canoe is no longer used. It was a fun exercise though!

Bruce W1EJC the band of choice would be the one giving the best propagation
at the time. I usually spend my four hours on 40m and occasionally do
satellite deployments too.

If I had my way Id do all my contacts on CW. Here in South Africa we have
only a few CW operators and around ten regulars. Much of the action is on
SSB which limits the usability of the radios like the QCX mini which is CW
only. Our CW group is growing much through the driving force from Mike
ZS6MSW so hopefully in the future we may see a CW only four hour challenge.
That would be awesome!

Much work went into the QSO Today virtual expo, the many presenters and the
organisers must have had a heavy weight on their shoulders this past
weekend. The technology I think was really awesome but complicated. I think
there were many teething problems but lets continue to support Eric 4Z1UG
in ironing out the problems that the next expo be more familiar. I felt
lost at times and I come from an IT background!

Have fun and spread the word of RaDAR.

Kind regards and 73 de

Eddie ZS6BNE