RadioBanter

-   -   Re-Normalizing the Smith Chart (Changing the SWR into the (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/305-re-re-normalizing-smith-chart-changing-swr-into.html)

Richard Harrison August 26th 03 05:03 AM

Re-Normalizing the Smith Chart (Changing the SWR into the

Keith wrote:
"2) At quarter wave points along this line, voltages and currents which
are always 0 can be observed -- the standing wave."

This is proof positive in Keith`s own words that the first 0-volt point
encountered by either forward or reflected wave is completely
ineffective in halting or abating progress of the waves.

Keith also wrote:
"6) From 2) and 5), the power (rate of energy flow) at quarter wave
points will be 0."

The contradiction is obvious. Were energy flow or power reduced by SWR
zeros, you would not have multiple zeros along the line.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

[email protected] August 26th 03 11:48 AM

Keith also wrote:
"6) From 2) and 5), the power (rate of energy flow) at quarter wave
points will be 0."

The contradiction is obvious. Were energy flow or power reduced by SWR
zeros, you would not have multiple zeros along the line.

Your analysis overlooks that we are discussing an ideal line that
has reached steady state. Before the line reaches steady state, energy
does cross the quarter wave points, but, of course, while this is
happening the voltages and currents at the quarter wave points are not
yet zero.

As an aside, were we to discuss a line that was not open or shorted
but rather terminated in other than its characteristic impedance, we
would still find voltage and current minimas. At these minima, rather
than the energy flow being 0 as it is for a shorted or open line, the
energy flow (power) is exactly the energy being delivered down the
line.

Something similar occurs while an opern or shorted line is approaching
steady state.

....Keith

Richard Harrison August 26th 03 01:18 PM

Keith wrote:
"Is it step 7)?"

"7) From 6), the energy crossing quarter wave points is zero"

False, as are several other of Keith`s speculations.

Standing waves throughout a long transmission line with a hard short or
open-circuit at its end are proof enough that SWR nulls other than the
one at the actual discontinuity don`t bring the energy crossing 1/4-wave
points to zero. SWR nulls other than the one at the actual open or short
have no effect on traveling waves, absent an additional actual
discontinuity. SWR can`t exist without energy flow in both directions.
Energy flow is continuous. It doesn`t start and stop at SWR nulls. This
continuity is proved by measurements at the nulls, taken in one
direction at a time.

No speculation or even math is needed to observe this behavior on an
actual line. It is usless to try to conform the observable to some
theory. It is far more productive to conform theory to the observable.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison August 26th 03 01:49 PM

Keith wrote:
"At these minima, rather than the energy flow being 0 as it is for an
open or shorted line, the energy flow (power) is exactly the energy
being delivered down the line."

The power is not zero at an SWR zero, provided that the line has power
flow. The power flow at the specified null is equal in forward and
reflected wave directions as shown by the complete zero.

Power delivered by the source and to the load is the forward power minus
the reflected power. In the case of a complete reflection, the
difference between forward and reflected power is zero, so the load is
rejecting all the forward power, which is turned around and becomes the
reflected power.

In a lossless line, forward and reflected powers flow unabated from end
to end of the line and are thus have their same amplitudes wherever they
are measured in the line, including SWR null points.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

W5DXP August 26th 03 04:41 PM

wrote:
Your analysis overlooks that we are discussing an ideal line that
has reached steady state. Before the line reaches steady state, energy
does cross the quarter wave points, but, of course, while this is
happening the voltages and currents at the quarter wave points are not
yet zero.

Please stop discussing NET energy and start discussing component energies.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] August 27th 03 12:00 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Keith wrote:
"Why are you convinced the reflection point had to move?"

This is the case when a line is extended to greater length, and the
short or open also is moved to the new end of the line.

Ever had a short or open somewhere in the middle of a line?

Actually, no.

I have, and
can testify that the signal doesn`t get past a real hard short or open
in the line.
As energy can`t be destroyed it had to be reflected by the
hard short or open.

Or just stopped and stored, perhaps. This is certainly what happens
when you excite the line with a step function rather than a sinusoid.
When excited by a sinusoid, no energy moves at the quarter wave points
where the voltage or current is always 0. As you move away from the
quarter wave points, more and more energy moves on each cycle until
a maximum amount of energy is moved at the point half way between the
quarter wave points. And then it decreases back towards the next
quarter wave point.

All of this is easily visualized by observing the amplitude of the
p(t) function at various points along the line.

In the case where the line short is moved to a point nearer the source,
or where the short or open is moved to a place more distant on the line
from the source, we know the energy travels all the way to the actual
short or open where it is reflected because nulls occur at several
points along a long transmission line.

"we know" is rather strong. I would strongly suggest that no energy
crosses those points in the line where the voltage and current are
always zero since p(t) is always zero at these points.

If the energy were turned around
before it reached the end of the line, nulls more distant from the
source than the turnaround point would not exist.

Not so, the line has reached steady-state. Now the nulls exist. They
did not exist before the line reached steady-state.

There would be no
energy at the actual short or open at the end of the line were the
energy turned around before it reached the end of the line.

Not necessarily. Only once the line has been charged, does the energy
move back and forth between the quarter wave points, while not
crossing them.

Try visualizing how a step function charges the line. How the voltage
step propagates down the line. How the voltage step is reflected at the
open end and starts travelling back towards the start. How between
the start of the line and the returning voltage step, energy is
flowing to charge the line, but between the returning voltage step
and the open end of the line, the energy previously delivered is
statically stored in the capacitance of the line. How once the line
is completely charged, no current flows, there is no power, and
the energy delivered during charging is stored in the capacitance.

Sinusoidal excitation is more difficult to visualize, but the
prinicipal is the same.

....Keith

[email protected] August 27th 03 12:13 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Keith wrote:
"Is it step 7)?"

"7) From 6), the energy crossing quarter wave points is zero"

False, as are several other of Keith`s speculations.

I do not see any flaw in step 7).

Assuming that step 6)
"6) From 2) and 5), the power (rate of energy flowing) at quarter
wave points will be 0"
is correct, then step 7)
"7) From 6), the energy crossing quarter wave points is 0"
must also be true, since,

If the rate of energy flowing is zero, then there is no energy
flowing so there can not be any energy crossing the point.

I do not find that step 7) is in error.

If there is an error in the final conclusion then I do not think
that it is an error in step 7) which causes the final error,
but, rather, the error must be in one of the earlier steps.

....Keith

W5DXP August 27th 03 01:49 AM

wrote:
When excited by a sinusoid, no energy moves at the quarter wave points
where the voltage or current is always 0.

You keep saying that and it keeps being a false statement. There is
absolutely nothing magic about sinusoids.

"we know" is rather strong. I would strongly suggest that no energy
crosses those points in the line where the voltage and current are
always zero since p(t) is always zero at these points.

What about Ramo and Whinnery's forward Poynting vector and reflected
Poynting vector? Why do you choose to ignore them?

Not necessarily. Only once the line has been charged, does the energy
move back and forth between the quarter wave points, while not
crossing them.

That has been shown to be a false assertion regarding component waves.
There is no impedance discontinuity to cause any reflections. Therefore,
the waves do not move back and forth. Do you really believe that the
energy in a bright interference ring is trapped inside the ring? Get
serious!
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 27th 03 01:52 AM

wrote:
I do not see any flaw in step 7).

Try opening your eyes.

If the rate of energy flowing is zero, then there is no energy
flowing so there can not be any energy crossing the point.

There is no NET energy flow. There is plenty of component energy
flow as defined by Ramo & Whinnery's forward Poynting vector and
reflected Poynting vector. Why do you continue to ignore those
vectors? Why do you continue to ignore the wealth of knowledge
contained in light interference patterns?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] August 27th 03 03:01 AM

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
When excited by a sinusoid, no energy moves at the quarter wave points
where the voltage or current is always 0.

You keep saying that and it keeps being a false statement. There is
absolutely nothing magic about sinusoids.

Seems to me that the sinusoidal standing wave with minima and maxima
at the quarter wave points can only arise with single frequency
sinusoidal excitation of the line. Are there other signals which
will produce this result?

"we know" is rather strong. I would strongly suggest that no energy
crosses those points in the line where the voltage and current are
always zero since p(t) is always zero at these points.

What about Ramo and Whinnery's forward Poynting vector and reflected
Poynting vector? Why do you choose to ignore them?

I haven't used them because I don't need them to arrive at an answer.
Basic electricity, a dash of circuit theory, a bit of knowledge of
trigonometry, some basic calculus and the ability to think is all
that is required.

Why make the solution more complex than necessary?
Just to scare off the neophyte?

Not necessarily. Only once the line has been charged, does the energy
move back and forth between the quarter wave points, while not
crossing them.

That has been shown to be a false assertion regarding component waves.

Perhaps. Or maybe component waves are not the answer.

There is no impedance discontinuity to cause any reflections. Therefore,
the waves do not move back and forth.
Do you really believe that the
energy in a bright interference ring is trapped inside the ring? Get
serious!

In this context, we are discussing transmission lines. I make NO
assertions about light, how rings happen, or don't, or whether the
theory and practice of optics is in way analogous to what happens
on a transmission line.

Transmission lines and their understanding can stand on their own
without the help of optics.

....Keith

W5DXP August 27th 03 05:14 AM

wrote:
Seems to me that the sinusoidal standing wave with minima and maxima
at the quarter wave points can only arise with single frequency
sinusoidal excitation of the line. Are there other signals which
will produce this result?

Probably not, but that makes sinusoids unique, not magic.

What about Ramo and Whinnery's forward Poynting vector and reflected
Poynting vector? Why do you choose to ignore them?

I haven't used them because I don't need them to arrive at an answer.

You need them to keep from making the same mistakes over and over.

Why make the solution more complex than necessary?
Just to scare off the neophyte?

Nope, your solution is simple-minded.

Perhaps. Or maybe component waves are not the answer.

Then go argue with Ramo & Whinnery.

In this context, we are discussing transmission lines. I make NO
assertions about light, how rings happen, or don't, or whether the
theory and practice of optics is in way analogous to what happens
on a transmission line.

You will never understand the present topic unless you understand that
EM wave interference doesn't affect the flow of energy in the individual
waves. That is true for light and RF.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 27th 03 05:27 AM

W5DXP wrote:
You will never understand the present topic unless you understand that
EM wave interference doesn't affect the flow of energy in the individual
waves. That is true for light and RF.

I should have added: "in the absence of a physical impedance discontinuity."
If a physical impedance discontinuity exists, then of course, the flow of
energy in the individual waves is affected by reflections.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison August 27th 03 01:01 PM

I wrote:
"As energy can`t be destroyed it had to be reflected by a hard short or
open." Keith replied:
"Or just stopped and stored."

Wave energy is energy in motion. No motion, no waves.

Keith also wrote:
"All of this is easily visualized by observing the amplitude of the P(t)
function at various points along the line."

Power as a function of time has the same amplitude in the forward wave
everywhere along the line. Same is true of the reflected wave.
Interference as demonstrated by standing waves has no effect on this.

Keith wrote:
"I would strongly suggest that no energy crosses these points in the
line where the voltage and current are always zero since p(t) is always
zero."

See my comment above on power as a function of time. Keith erred in
saying "points in the line where the voltage and current are always
zero", as where SWR volts are zero, amps are max, and vice versa.

I wrote:
"If energy were turned around before it reached the end of the line,
nulls more distant from the source than the turnaround point would not
exist."

Keith wrote:
"Not so,---."

There is no argument that can make wave interference where there are no
waves. In a lossless line, pre-existing waves could circulate forever.
But, our discussion relates to effects on actual lines.

Keith wrote:
"Try visualizing how a step function charges the line."

Totally irrelevant. SWR nulls are the result of phase opposition at
specific points produced by alternating waves. A step function changes
only when it starts or stops. Only during the changes does Zo apply
unless a line is terminated in its Zo. In this case there`s no reflected
wave to make a null. As Reg once said, "If your line were infinite in
length, you could measure Zo with your ohmmeter.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison August 27th 03 01:37 PM

Keith wrote:
"I do not find that step 7) is in error."

Step 7) declares power is zero at quarter wave points where volts or
amps are zero in the standing wave pattern.

Power flow does not stop at an actual short or open in a line. It merely
changes direction. At zero volt or amp points, where there is no actual
short or open, no reversal of direction occurs. Power flow is affected
in no way by standing wave nulls or maxima where no impedance
discontinuity exists.

Energy exists in every SWR null. It is in the two waves which produce
the null as these experience no change in energy due to standing waves.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Dave Shrader August 27th 03 03:57 PM

What is missing here, IMO, is that the physics of energy flow has not
been adequately explained. Cecil provided a reference to it but did not
elaborate for the general readership.

The energy in forward and reflected waves has been well documented for
many years. From Kraus, Electromagnetics, McGraw Hill, 1953, Chapter 9,
Section 9-13, "Energy Relations in a Standing Wave":

EQ 9-145 We = 2eEo^2[cos^2wt*sin^2Bx]

EQ 9-147 Wm = 2uHo^2[sin^2wt*cos^2Bx]

Note: The energy in the E field [We] is a function of the sin^2(Bx).
The energy in the H field [Wm] is a function of the cos^2(Bx).

You will remember from trigonometry the the maxima [or minima] of a sin
and cos are displaced by 90 degrees. Conclusion: when the E field is
zero the H field is maximum; when the H field is zero the E field is
maximum. Ergo! Energy is conserved and propagates through the zero E
field as an H field; also, when the H field is zero the energy is in the
E field. This is what Cecil is referring to when he refers to the
Poynting vector.

It is analogous to a parallel tuned circuit. When the instantaneous
voltage across the capacitor is zero we don't claim there is no energy
in the circuit. We know that the energy is stored in the inductor.
Conversely, when the instantaneous current in the inductor is zero we
don't claim there is no energy in the circuit. We know the energy is
stored in the capacitor.

In a TEM wave the energy cycles between the E field and the H field and
the energy components are 90 degrees out of phase.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

W5DXP August 27th 03 04:14 PM

wrote:
What about Ramo and Whinnery's forward Poynting vector and reflected
Poynting vector? Why do you choose to ignore them?

I haven't used them because I don't need them to arrive at an answer.

Yes, but you need them to arrive at the correct answer. :-)

Basic electricity, a dash of circuit theory, a bit of knowledge of
trigonometry, some basic calculus and the ability to think is all
that is required.

Apparently, that is not all that is required. Here's a neat web page
that will allow you to visualize what is happening. Note the forward
and reflected waves do not change energy or momentum at a zero
voltage point.

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/s....html#standing
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison August 27th 03 05:10 PM

Keith wrote:
"Basic electricity, a dash of circuit theory, a bit of knowledge of
trigonometry, some basic calculus, and the ability to think is all that
is required."

An electrical education limited to d-c familiarity leads to mistaken
assumptions when dealing with a-c in Keith`s case it seems.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

[email protected] August 28th 03 11:10 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Keith wrote:
"I do not find that step 7) is in error."

Step 7) declares power is zero at quarter wave points where volts or
amps are zero in the standing wave pattern.

Unfortunately, probably due to my poor description, you have missed
the point I was trying to make.

You are, I think, disagreeing with the RESULT of step 7.

Even though the result may be wrong, step 7) can be correct.

Step 7) again:
"7) From 6), the energy crossing quarter wave points is 0"

This is saying that if the result of step 6) is correct, then
the result of step 7) is correct. The transformation from 6)
to 7) merely integrated power to get energy; a common and
correct thing to do.

So if you disagree with the result of step 7), it is in step 6)
which you must search for the error since step 7) is correct.

If step 6) is correct, then search in step 2) and step 5) for
the error.

I suspect that like Cecil, you will end up at step 2) as the
source of what you perceive to be an error.

Then, when we resolve whether 2) is in error, we will know
whether the result of 7) is in error.

....Keith

[email protected] August 28th 03 11:21 AM

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
Seems to me that the sinusoidal standing wave with minima and maxima
at the quarter wave points can only arise with single frequency
sinusoidal excitation of the line. Are there other signals which
will produce this result?

Probably not, but that makes sinusoids unique, not magic.

Magic was your moniker not mine. But I am glad that you agree.

What about Ramo and Whinnery's forward Poynting vector and reflected
Poynting vector? Why do you choose to ignore them?

I haven't used them because I don't need them to arrive at an answer.

You need them to keep from making the same mistakes over and over.

I've being using p(t) = v(t) * i(t) and simply arguing that when
v(t) or i(t) is zero for all t, then there is no power.

Poynting won't change a thing. There is no P when E or H is zero.

So the debate can be had with the simpler p(t) = v(t) * i(t).
There is no need to complexify.

....Keith

[email protected] August 28th 03 11:45 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Keith wrote:
"Are there other signals which would produce this result?"

A short-circuit produces a voltage inversion. The plus volts and the
minus volts make a zero in a short.

Imagine a couple of identical positive pulses separated by some distance
and traveling in the same direction along a long transmission line which
has a short approached by the pulses. When the first pulse hits the
short it is inverted and reflected to travel back toward its source as a
minus voltage pulse.

When the first pulse encounters the second pulse they disappear at the
instant of coincidence, but otherwise, travel on their merry ways. What
happens at coincidence is transfer of the energy associated with volts
to the energy wave associated with amps as energy can`t be obliterated
while the volts disappear.

I do like pulses. Thinking about pulses on the line certainly helped
clarify my understanding of how lines worked.

So what happens when two pulses collide? I don't think you will like
this answer either, but here goes.

First, remember that power and energy are not the same. Power can
become zero while the energy remains. It simply means that the
energy is now stored in the capacitance or inductance (or equally,
the E field or H field) but is not moving. So no energy is lost
or destroyed when the power goes to zero.

So what happens to these two pulses? They bounce off of each other
and return whence they came. This must happen since the voltage on
the region of the line where the two pulses collide remains zero
and since p(t) = v(t) * i(t) there is no power in this region
so there must be no energy flowing. You would observe exactly
the same result were you to short the line at the point of
collision just before the collision occurred. Two pulses colliding
is just like a reflection.

As a simple analogue, consider two identical elastic balls rolling
towards each other. They bounce back after the collision.

On a line this is easier to visualize with two negative pulses
colliding. Each pulse consists of a clump of charge. When these
clumps of charge collide, remembering that like charge repels,
they bounce back.

What actually happens during the collision? With balls, the
energy is stored in the deformation of the ball and then
released as the balls separate. With pulses, the power stops
(current is zero), and the energy is stored in the capacitance
of the line in the region of the collision. After all the
energy has stopped flowing (no power, zero current, all energy
in the E field), the energy is released into the reflected
pulses and once again, there is energy moving (power) on the
line.

....Keith

[email protected] August 28th 03 11:58 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:

I wrote:
"As energy can`t be destroyed it had to be reflected by a hard short or
open." Keith replied:
"Or just stopped and stored."

Wave energy is energy in motion. No motion, no waves.

There is no doubt that energy moves. The point of disagreement is on
how far it moves.

Keith wrote:
"I would strongly suggest that no energy crosses these points in the
line where the voltage and current are always zero since p(t) is always
zero."

See my comment above on power as a function of time. Keith erred in
saying "points in the line where the voltage and current are always
zero", as where SWR volts are zero, amps are max, and vice versa.

This last is true, but p(t) = v(t) * i(t); volts and amps must be
present simultaneously for there to be power.

Keith wrote:
"Not so,---."

There is no argument that can make wave interference where there are no
waves. In a lossless line, pre-existing waves could circulate forever.
But, our discussion relates to effects on actual lines.

There are many assumptions in this discussion which means it only
applies
to ideal lines. The extension to real lines, retains the fundamentals
but the details need tuning.

As a simple example, on a real line, the nulls are never 0.
But including this in the discussion would just make it more difficult
to locate the points of disagreement.

Keith wrote:
"Try visualizing how a step function charges the line."

Totally irrelevant.

Understanding a step will help with understanding line
behaviour. This knowledge can then assist in understanding
sinusoidal steady state.

....Keith

W5DXP August 28th 03 12:03 PM

wrote:
I suspect that like Cecil, you will end up at step 2) as the
source of what you perceive to be an error.

Which step the error is in depends upon whether you are talking
about NET energy or the forward and reflected component energies.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 28th 03 12:10 PM

wrote:
Poynting won't change a thing. There is no P when E or H is zero.

Of course, there are the two component Poynting vectors which each
contain power. How else could (Pz-/Pz+) = |rho|^2

You are continuing to confuse NET power with component power. The
NET Poynting vector is zero. The component Poynting vectors are
Pz- and Pz+ and NOT zero as explained in Ramo & Whinnery. The sum
of the two Poynting vectors is zero at certain points because they
are 180 degrees out of phase at those points. 1/4WL away, they are
in phase.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 28th 03 12:13 PM

wrote:
So what happens to these two pulses? They bounce off of each other
and return whence they came.

This has been disproved many, many times. Do a web search for
"superposition" and learn how those waves flow unaffected right
through each other.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 28th 03 12:24 PM

wrote:
Understanding a step will help with understanding line
behaviour. This knowledge can then assist in understanding
sinusoidal steady state.

Looks like you are never going to understand the principles of
superposition and interference until you read and understand
those chapters in _Optics_ or similar reference. You continue
to make the same mistakes over and over in spite of the obvious
mental violations of the principles of physics which have been
explained to you.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Harrison August 28th 03 02:07 PM

Keith wrote:
"The last is true, but p(t) = v(t)*i(t); volts and amps must be present
simultaneously for there to be power."

By the same token, a-c flow is discontinuous at all zero crossings! I
don`t think so.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Ian White, G3SEK August 28th 03 06:07 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Proof is that a directional sensor finds the same power flow, forward
or reflected, at a standing wave zero point as it does at a standing
wave maximum, or at any point in between.

Richard's statement about what the directional sensor "finds" is
perfectly correct - but unfortunately it cannot be used as proof.

The reason is that so-called "directional wattmeters" don't physically
sense directional power flow. All they sense from the transmission line
are the current and the voltage, as two separate samples. Then they add
or subtract these samples to give the sensor its directional properties.
All the meter reads is a detected RF *voltage*, which changes to a
different value when the sensor is reversed.

If you want to know what those meter readings mean, you need
transmission-line theory in order to understand them. You can then
calibrate the meter to read forward and reverse power - but you cannot
do that without using transmission-line theory to do it, and that theory
is the subject of this entire discussion.

Therefore the readings of a "directional wattmeter" cannot be used as
evidence for either side, because that argument would be circular - you
cannot use any theory to prove itself!

However, this attempt to use inadmissible evidence doesn't necessarily
affect Richard's wider argument about power flow. If that argument is
correct, there definitely *will* be other physical evidence to prove it.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

W5DXP August 28th 03 08:45 PM

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
However, this attempt to use inadmissible evidence doesn't necessarily
affect Richard's wider argument about power flow. If that argument is
correct, there definitely *will* be other physical evidence to prove it.

The biggest clue that I have noticed is that nobody has been able to
generate standing waves in a single source, single feedline, single
load system without the existence of a reflected wave.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

[email protected] August 29th 03 03:27 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Keith wrote:
"The last is true, but p(t) = v(t)*i(t); volts and amps must be present
simultaneously for there to be power."

By the same token, a-c flow is discontinuous at all zero crossings! I
don`t think so.

There is certainly no power at the zero crossings. This variation in
the rate of energy flow is why the power dudes really prefer 3 phase;
energy flow is constant.

....Keith

W5DXP August 29th 03 03:07 PM

wrote:
There is certainly no power at the zero crossings.

There is no NET power at the zero crossings. There exists
equal amounts of power flowing in opposite directions as
represented by the forward Poynting vector and the reflected
Poynting vector. Those two power flow vectors simply cancel
at the NET power equal zero point.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

W5DXP August 29th 03 05:10 PM

wrote:

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:

So what happens to these two pulses? They bounce off of each other
and return whence they came.

This has been disproved many, many times. Do a web search for
"superposition" and learn how those waves flow unaffected right
through each other.

So are you saying that like charge does not repel?

No, I'm not saying that at all. In fact, there may not be any charges
crossing the NET voltage = zero point and there doesn't have to be for
energy to be flowing in both directions. Two waves flowing in opposite
directions in a constant Z0 environment superpose but have no effect
on each other. You are continuing to be confused by the NET values.
Did you take a look at that Java-driven web page that I posted a couple
of days ago. If so, I don't see how you could still be confused.

As an analogy, consider two equal magnitude Tsunami waves flowing in
opposite directions in the ocean. According to you, these waves will
reflect off of each other. But it is known that those two waves will
simply flow through each other and continue their original paths
unabated. A single carrier water molecule may only move vertically
and not horizontally at all during this process.

You continue to confuse NET charge carriers with component energy.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Jim Kelley August 29th 03 06:53 PM

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
There is certainly no power at the zero crossings.

There is no NET power at the zero crossings.

I think you mean there's no instantaneous power at the zero crossings.

73, ac6xg

W5DXP August 29th 03 07:39 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

W5DXP wrote:
There is no NET power at the zero crossings.

I think you mean there's no instantaneous power at the zero crossings.

Well, since the NET voltage is always zero at a voltage node when
the forward power and reflected power are equal, the instantaneous
voltage is always zero, i.e. the steady-state voltage is always
zero. If we have equal power flow vectors in opposite directions,
the NET power is zero at all points up and down the line.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Jim Kelley August 29th 03 11:19 PM

W5DXP wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:

W5DXP wrote:
There is no NET power at the zero crossings.

I think you mean there's no instantaneous power at the zero crossings.

Well, since the NET voltage is always zero at a voltage node when
the forward power and reflected power are equal, the instantaneous
voltage is always zero, i.e. the steady-state voltage is always
zero.

I've never actually seen the voltage at a node in a standing wave
pattern referred to as an instantaneous voltage - especially considering
that it doesn't vary with time. Instantaneous usually means the
solution to a function f(t) at time t (not f(x) and position x.) Nodes
and zero crossings aren't necessarily the same thing.

73, Jim AC6XG

W5DXP August 30th 03 05:46 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Nodes and zero crossings aren't necessarily the same thing.

They are for standing waves on lossless unterminated lines,
by definition.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] August 30th 03 11:00 AM

W5DXP wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
Nodes and zero crossings aren't necessarily the same thing.

They are for standing waves on lossless unterminated lines,
by definition.

I think not. Standing waves are spatial. At certain points
on the line the (NET) voltage is always zero: nodes.
At other points on the line, the (NET) voltage is sinusoidal
and has 2 zero crossings per cycle. The amplitude of these
sinusoids varies spatially along the line resulting in the
standing wave.

In an ideal line terminated by Zo, no matter where you attach
your oscillograph to the line, you will observe a sinusoid
of the same amplitude. This sinusoid will have zero crossings
and power at the time of these zero crossings will be zero;
no energy will be flowing at the time of the zero crossing.

And going back to the comment that started this sub-thread,
it is this cyclical variation in energy flow which prompted
the power dudes to invent three phase lines in which the
energy flow does not vary cyclically; power is constant.

....Keith

[email protected] August 30th 03 12:33 PM

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
So are you saying that like charge does not repel?

No, I'm not saying that at all. In fact, there may not be any charges
crossing the NET voltage = zero point and there doesn't have to be for
energy to be flowing in both directions.

This does seem to be the sticking point, doesn't it. Starting with
p = v * i,
i = charge_moved/time,
if no charge moves, there can be no power, and from
p = work/time,
if there is no power, no work is being done,
and if no work is being done, no energy has moved.
Ergo, no energy crosses the boundary.

If you find an error in the above derivation, I will happily allow
you that energy flows in both directions.

Two waves flowing in opposite
directions in a constant Z0 environment superpose but have no effect
on each other. You are continuing to be confused by the NET values.

Actually, I am not confused by NET at all. I contend that NET is the
only thing of importance when determining if energy flows.

Did you take a look at that Java-driven web page that I posted a couple
of days ago. If so, I don't see how you could still be confused.

Are you referring to
http://www.mellesgriot.com/products/optics/oc_2_1.htm?

These dudes do seem to have it right. They sum amplitudes to get
the resultant (NET) amplitude and then compute the intensity (power)
from the resultant (NET) amplitude. They do NOT state that energy
flows across a point with zero resultant amplitude nor do they sum
the power (intensity) to determine interference patterns.

As an analogy, consider two equal magnitude Tsunami waves flowing in
opposite directions in the ocean. According to you, these waves will
reflect off of each other. But it is known that those two waves will
simply flow through each other and continue their original paths
unabated.

How can you tell whether it reflected, or flowed through?
The look and feel will be the same.

Remember the collision of two identical balls. Superficial examination
of the collision might cause one to conclude that the energy was
transferred between the balls, especially if you viewed this collision
after viewing the collision of a moving ball with a stationary one
where energy is indeed transferred. Only by looking at the details of
the collision, in particular at the interface where the collision
occurs,
and realizing that f * d is always 0 do you learn that no energy was
transferred.

Similarly for transmission lines at points where v(t) * i(t) is always
0 and, from the web page, apparently for light as well.

....Keith

W5DXP August 30th 03 06:11 PM

wrote:

W5DXP wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
Nodes and zero crossings aren't necessarily the same thing.

They are for standing waves on lossless unterminated lines,
by definition.

I think not. Standing waves are spatial. At certain points
on the line the (NET) voltage is always zero: nodes.

For the infinite number of times a snapshot of the voltage is
not zero, the node *IS* a zero-crossing point. That is more than
obvious from the JAVA applets on this web page.

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/s....html#standing

In an ideal line terminated by Zo, ...

That configuration is not covered by my statement above which
applies only to standing waves on lossless unterminated lines.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 30th 03 06:38 PM

wrote:

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
So are you saying that like charge does not repel?

No, I'm not saying that at all. In fact, there may not be any charges
crossing the NET voltage = zero point and there doesn't have to be for
energy to be flowing in both directions.

This does seem to be the sticking point, doesn't it.

There is no sticking point. It is all explained in _Fields_and_Waves_...
by Ramo, Whinnery, and Van Duzer. It is also explained in _Optics_,
by Hecht.

If you find an error in the above derivation, I will happily allow
you that energy flows in both directions.

That a forward Poynting vector and a reflected Poynting vector exists
is not enough for you? Here's my argument analogous to yours:

My GMC pickup is white. Until you can prove my GMC pickup is not white,
your argument is invalid. Your above argument is just as irrelevant
as the color of my pickup.

Actually, I am not confused by NET at all. I contend that NET is the
only thing of importance when determining if energy flows.

What about the forward Poynting vector and the reflected Poynting vector?
Net is the thing to consider if all you are worried about is net energy.
Net doesn't hack it when you take a look at the forward and reflected
Poynting vectors.

How can you tell whether it reflected, or flowed through?
The look and feel will be the same.

Not exactly. Each Tsunami has its own modulation signature. Many, many
experiments over hundreds of years have proved that waves flow right
through each other.

Similarly for transmission lines at points where v(t) * i(t) is always
0 and, from the web page, apparently for light as well.

You really believe that the energy in a bright interference ring is
trapped between the dark rings by some magical force that exists in
your mind? You really need to read the superposition and interference
chapters in _Optics_.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

W5DXP August 30th 03 06:58 PM

wrote:
We have a choice of two rho for this situation:

Correction: We have a choice of two reflection coefficients
each with its own unique definition.

black box - 0, computed from the surge impedance of the line and
the steady state impedance of the load

Actually, Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd), the definition of rho.

open box - 0.5, computed from the surge impedance of the line and
the surge impedance of the load

Actually, (150-50)/(150+50), the definition of s11.

In any case, what we have in this experiment is a case where there
IS an impedance discontinuity and yet there is no reflection (if
you use the "black box" rho, as is often done).

This is technically not true. The NET reflections are zero. There
are two non-zero component reflections as seen from the s-parameter
equation:

b1 = s11*a1 + s12*a2

These three terms are all reflections. b1 is the NET reflections
toward the source. Since b1 = zero, s11*a1 = -s12*a2, i.e. the two
component reflections are of equal magnitude and opposite phase and
therefore cancel. This is explained in the last three paragraphs on
the Melles-Griot web page.

So, if we are allowed to say in the first experiment that rho is 0
despite an impedance discontinuity, we are equally allowed to say
for the second that rho is -1 despite the absence of a discontinuity.

There is NOT an absence of a discontinuity. The discontinuity is as
large as it can possibly be, an unterminated transmission line. There
is an infinite SWR on the 1/4WL line. The apparent zero impedance
at the input is simply a V/I ratio where Vnet=Vfwd+Vref=0
The forward wave is carrying Vfwd^2*Z0 watts associated with the
forward Poynting vector and the reflected wave is carrying Vref^2*Z0
watts associated with the reflected Poynting vector. A directional
wattmeter will indicate the same thing.

There is NO physical discontinuity at the black box. The only physical
discontinuity is the open end of the stub. That's where 100% of the
reflection action takes place.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp