Old August 26th 03, 03:59 PM
L. Overdulve

Default What is the best method of mounting a pvc-tube fitted Slim Jim?

Hi everyone!

At last (after some years) I will build a weather protected Slim Jim,
fitted into a pvc tube.
I have found the right method of calculating the dimensions and I expect
no problems so far.
But...after all is done, the antenna will have to be mounted to the mast
(metal). What is the best way of mounting such an antenna? I have
searched the web, but I could not find anything.

At this site
(http://www.trival-antennas-masts.com...com/Frames.htm) I found
this mounting frame, but because it is made of a conducting material
perhaps it is not a good idea...
May be the pvc tube can be mouted directly to the mast using two of
three giant cable ties, but perhaps this will put the antenna too close
to the conducting mast...

Thanks for thinking about this and thanks in advance!

Luc

Old August 27th 03, 06:07 AM
VE8AE Andrew

Just use a PVC elbow or "Tee" on bottom, then use another section of
PVC to mount to the mast using clamps. Works well and if you want use
some wood dowel inside for added strength.
Andrew VE8AE

Old August 27th 03, 07:49 PM
Jimmy

My expeience with using T's and elbos with PVC is that it weakens the
structure. Dont really like PVC for doing what you are talking about and
prefer to design antennas that will be self supporting and cand withstand
the elements. That being said, There are PVC couplings designed for
transistioning from threaded metal pipe to PVC . For a while I had an
antenna similar to your discription that was set uo as follows. 2 inch
galvanized pipe for a mast, pull box on top of that ,2 meter colinear array
above that in PVC. Feed line entered through a compression fitting in the
cover of the pull box. This worked well for about 2 years then the sun began
to cause severe deterioration of the PVC.

om...

Old August 27th 03, 08:23 PM
Ralph Mowery

My expeience with using T's and elbos with PVC is that it weakens the
structure. Dont really like PVC for doing what you are talking about and
prefer to design antennas that will be self supporting and cand withstand
the elements. That being said, There are PVC couplings designed for
transistioning from threaded metal pipe to PVC . For a while I had an
antenna similar to your discription that was set uo as follows. 2 inch
galvanized pipe for a mast, pull box on top of that ,2 meter colinear

array
above that in PVC. Feed line entered through a compression fitting in the
cover of the pull box. This worked well for about 2 years then the sun

began
to cause severe deterioration of the PVC.

PVC pipe is not made for use in the sun. The UV rays weakin the tubing. It
will stand up beter if it is painted or coated so the UV rays will not get
to it.