RadioBanter

-   -   MFJ 989c tuner question (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/317-mfj-989c-tuner-question.html)

Dan Richardson August 27th 03 02:27 AM

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:59:39 -0500, Bob Miller
wrote:

I'm tuning up a dipole with the 989c, using it for the first time in
several years.

Does maximum inductance occur with the reference counter at 000, and
minimum inductance at 125?

The MFJ manual I downloaded contradicts itself on this point, and I'd
like to get it clear.

Not wanting to be facetious but have you thought to lift up the cover
and take a look?

Danny, K6MHE

'Doc August 27th 03 02:35 AM

Bob,
The only sure way of telling is to take the lid off of
the tuner. The maximum inductance ~should~ be at the highest
reference number, but don't take that for granted.
'Doc

W5DXP August 27th 03 05:17 AM

Bob Miller wrote:

I'm tuning up a dipole with the 989c, using it for the first time in
several years.

Does maximum inductance occur with the reference counter at 000, and
minimum inductance at 125?

The MFJ manual I downloaded contradicts itself on this point, and I'd
like to get it clear.

There are two configurations of MFJ-949E. The only way to tell the
difference is pop the lid. Probably the same for the 989c.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

John Passaneau August 27th 03 02:32 PM

It at the lowest inductance if I understand your description. The rolling
tap has shorted out the inductor at that point.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
Physics Dept. Electronics Shop

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:17:49 -0500, W5DXP
wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

I'm tuning up a dipole with the 989c, using it for the first time in
several years.

Does maximum inductance occur with the reference counter at 000, and
minimum inductance at 125?

The MFJ manual I downloaded contradicts itself on this point, and I'd
like to get it clear.

There are two configurations of MFJ-949E. The only way to tell the
difference is pop the lid. Probably the same for the 989c.

Okay, popped the lid.

One end of the roller inductor is grounded, as is the rolling tap. The
other end of the inductor connects to the variable capacitors. When
the counter registers "000", the rolling tap is at the end of the
inductor connected to the caps. This would be maximum inductance?

Bob
k5qwg

Mark Keith August 27th 03 05:56 PM

"John Passaneau" wrote in message ...
It at the lowest inductance if I understand your description. The rolling
tap has shorted out the inductor at that point.

With mine, 000 is the lowest inductance. But mine is an older 989c.
They may vary. Try tuning 10m. If it's tuning near the 000 end, thats
min inductance.
MK

Bob Miller August 29th 03 08:02 AM

On 27 Aug 2003 09:56:49 -0700, (Mark Keith) wrote:

"John Passaneau" wrote in message ...
It at the lowest inductance if I understand your description. The rolling
tap has shorted out the inductor at that point.

With mine, 000 is the lowest inductance. But mine is an older 989c.
They may vary. Try tuning 10m. If it's tuning near the 000 end, thats
min inductance.
MK

Still playing with this antenna to get things sorted out, but I'm
using a 44-ft. dipole with 42-ft. of twinlead. 10m is tuning at 000 on
the inductor; 12m, 15m, 20m are at 003; 30m is at 013. Looks like,
then, 000 is minimum inductance.

Thanks to all...

Bob
k5qwg