Old January 18th 05, 06:56 PM

Default Pvc ok for boom

Will sch 40 pvc be ok for a 440 mhz boom? Or will it eventially warp in
the sun? (We have brutal summers sometimes).

Old January 18th 05, 10:31 PM
Ed

Will sch 40 pvc be ok for a 440 mhz boom? Or will it eventially warp in
the sun? (We have brutal summers sometimes).

Its OK

Ed

Old January 18th 05, 11:30 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:31:27 GMT, Ed wrote:

Will sch 40 pvc be ok for a 440 mhz boom? Or will it eventially warp
in the sun? (We have brutal summers sometimes).

Its OK

For selected definitions of "OK".
The UV radiation will eventually turn it to dust. Here at 7,700',
that occurs in about 3 years. Painting it may delay that problem.

73
Jonesy
Old January 19th 05, 12:27 AM
Topaz305RK

Have had CPVC break down and "go away" but never PVC.

Sam

Old January 19th 05, 05:57 PM
Dennis Kaylor

the typical White colored PVC will break down in the sun unless you
paint it with a UV shield paint
and you can always slide wooden dowel inside the PVC to keep it from bowing
good luck

Old January 19th 05, 10:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Dennis Kaylor wrote:
... and you can always slide wooden dowel inside the PVC to keep it from bowing

I learned not to do that with fiberglass pipe. Moisture
made the wooden dowel swell and split the fiberglass pipe.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 20th 05, 06:38 PM
Bob Bob

Re the grey vs orange/white stuff (In VK at least)

The grey electrical conduit has graphite (I think) added and therefore
has some conductivity.

What I am getting at is that with a design using (say) white material
there will be slight dimension differences when using the grey stuff.
Apparently it isnt good to use it for a colinear etc design where the
radiating elemnt is inside the pipe.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old February 6th 05, 07:48 PM
Clarence_A

"Topaz305RK" wrote in message
Have had CPVC break down and "go away" but never PVC.

Sam

Me too.
BUT painting is a good idea!
I use zinc chromate to prime,