Old September 4th 03, 11:36 PM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
I can't wait to hook it up to see more reflected power than
incident on my DAIWA meter, that would be very interesting.

If that's really what you want to observe, connect the meter backwards. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 5th 03, 02:08 AM
Peter O. Brackett

Cecil:

[snip]
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Dr. Slick wrote:
I can't wait to hook it up to see more reflected power than
incident on my DAIWA meter, that would be very interesting.

If that's really what you want to observe, connect the meter backwards.

:-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[snip]

Or hook a transmitter to the remote end!

Heh, heh... what is the read out of reflected power on a full duplex DSL
line, with transmitters running full bore on both ends simultaneously.

Slick's exposure to real world transmission problems is very limited!

;-)

--
Peter K1PO
Indialantic By-the-Sea, FL.

Old September 5th 03, 10:19 AM
Dr. Slick

Dr. Slick wrote:
I can't wait to hook it up to see more reflected power than
incident on my DAIWA meter, that would be very interesting.

If that's really what you want to observe, connect the meter backwards.

:-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Ha! that would be the ONLY way, if you are going into a passive
network like coax and antenna.

Or hook a transmitter to the remote end!

Heh, heh... what is the read out of reflected power on a full duplex DSL
line, with transmitters running full bore on both ends simultaneously.

Slick's exposure to real world transmission problems is very limited!

Not as limited as yours, it would seems! ;^)

Show me an antenna-coax network that reflects more power than
incident! Impossible!

Slick
Old September 5th 03, 03:40 PM
W5DXP

Dr. Slick wrote:
Show me an antenna-coax network that reflects more power than
incident! Impossible!

I've pretty much proven that it can't happen. Simply insert one
wavelength of lossless feedline between the lossy feedline and
the reactive load. Everything becomes clear.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old September 5th 03, 07:10 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Slick:

[snip]
Not as limited as yours, it would seems! ;^)

Show me an antenna-coax network that reflects more power than
incident! Impossible!

Slick

[snip]

Ever operate your antenna coax in the near field of a commerical broadcast
antenna?

Guess what the reflected power reads?

RF applications, Ham antennas and transmission lines are ho-hum
technology...

Such simple applications do not present any great analysis difficulty or
operating
challenges, they are approximately lossless and distortionless and always
operated narrow band with a purely resistive Zo =50 Ohms.

The question of complex Zo never arises in ham applications or most other
RF applications for that matter...

The most difficult transmission line problems for design and analysis are
those
operating in what is known as DSL [digital subscriber loop] technology and
similar applications.

In the DSL application the Zo of the line, up to 18,000 feet of twisted pair
with at leat 1500 Ohms of DC resistance, is extremely complex and varies
all over the map over 5 - 6 decades of operating frequency range from DC
to tens of MegaHz, supported by full duplex transmitters transmitting
simulaneously
at full power on both ends with the receivers hooked directly to the same
ends.

If you have succesfully designed transceivers to operate on those lines,
maintained
by span powering from one end and shipped in the millions world wide as I
have, why
then my friend you may claim to know something about complex Zo and
reflection
coefficients.

--
Peter K1PO