Old September 10th 03, 07:18 AM
Walter

Default Slingshot method for hanging a wire antenna.

Here is an article on how to cheaply and easily run a wire antenna
using a slingshot, and a fishing pole.

Old September 11th 03, 01:15 AM
Martin

"Walter" wrote in message
om...
Here is an article on how to cheaply and easily run a wire antenna
using a slingshot, and a fishing pole.

Amazing! Amazing, that is, that there has actually been a recent patent
issued
on the slingshot-spinning reel combination: U.S. 6,286,495; filed on
8/2/02!

I used this idea as far back as 1966, copied from other hams who used it
before I did. And in 1990 I built one identical to the one they're selling.
See the ad for EZ Hang on the www.qrz.com site.

Marty K1FHR

Old September 11th 03, 11:28 AM
H. Adam Stevens

a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Old September 11th 03, 12:38 PM
Lloyd Mitchell

Walmart:

One (1) 5.95 Slingshot
One (1) 3.95 or less if on sale, Cheap fishing reel with line
Two (2) (.39) Tiny radiator hose clamps
One Pack (1.99) 1oz. teardrop lead fishing weight
One (1) can Spray Orange Paint (to color lead weight)
One (1) Screwdriver (no cost...from my toolbox)

TADA !!! My version of EZ Hand....works just as good..

Mitch KD4HTW

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message
a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Old September 15th 03, 12:11 AM
James

Hi,

Save the paint, swipe some of my teen daughters nail polish with glitter !

worked great !

btw, some lawyer helped his kid file a patent for swinging sidweays on a
conventional
swingset !
he wanted to teach his kid how the process works.

73 jimbo

Lloyd wrote:

Walmart:

One (1) 5.95 Slingshot
One (1) 3.95 or less if on sale, Cheap fishing reel with line
Two (2) (.39) Tiny radiator hose clamps
One Pack (1.99) 1oz. teardrop lead fishing weight
One (1) can Spray Orange Paint (to color lead weight)
One (1) Screwdriver (no cost...from my toolbox)

TADA !!! My version of EZ Hand....works just as good..

Mitch KD4HTW

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message
a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Old September 15th 03, 01:58 AM
CW

If he really wanted to teach the kid the process, he should have charged him
the usual fee.

Lloyd wrote:

Walmart:

One (1) 5.95 Slingshot
One (1) 3.95 or less if on sale, Cheap fishing reel with line
Two (2) (.39) Tiny radiator hose clamps
One Pack (1.99) 1oz. teardrop lead fishing weight
One (1) can Spray Orange Paint (to color lead weight)
One (1) Screwdriver (no cost...from my toolbox)

TADA !!! My version of EZ Hand....works just as good..

Mitch KD4HTW

"H. Adam Stevens" wrote in message
a patent?
I'm gonna puke!
how ludicrous, next they'll patent throwing a rock........
"Martin" wrote in message
.net...

om...

Old October 8th 03, 03:28 AM
Williams

If I'd had a nickel for everything I invented, but never followed up on,
I'd be able to afford a new 1S4 for my QRP rig.

Over the years, there have been many variations on this theme and all
probably worked about the same. The good folks at EZ-Hang, took the
time to package the whole shooting match for those of us who were unable
to take the time to chase down the parts. I've had a "commercial" model
for a couple years and it works great! I chat with Mr. EZ-Hang from
time to time at HamFests, and usually end up getting a couple free
weights.

The latest addition is the "ground mounted line feeding gizmo" for
pulling the nylon line up with the mono filament line. That is also a
handy addition to the kit.

By the way, when the salesman tells you these thing work really, really
well from a "projectile" perspective and recommends that you practice a
few times in the wide open spaces until you figure out what the "lob"
is, take them at their word. Between Whamm-O and Zebco, this is a real
lead-slinger and it is nice to know what kind of an arch results from an
arm's length pull back. Once you get in the trees, it becomes a little
tougher to figure out where that yellow sinker is dropping down. On
occasion, I've resorted to tying on a short length of florescent pink
(or orange) surveyors tape, just in case.

NOTE: I have no connection with EZ-Hang, Whamm-O, Zebco, whoever makes
the sinkers, or the U.S. Patent Office, other than being a "Happy
Camper" customer.

73, Dave

Dave Williams - K7HMP/4
Stafford, Virginia

Martin wrote:

om...

Old October 8th 03, 04:07 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:28:08 -0400, Williams wrote:

If I'd had a nickel for everything I invented, but never followed up on,
I'd be able to afford a new 1S4 for my QRP rig.

Over the years, there have been many variations on this theme and all
probably worked about the same. The good folks at EZ-Hang, took the
time to package the whole shooting match for those of us who were unable
to take the time to chase down the parts. I've had a "commercial" model
for a couple years and it works great! I chat with Mr. EZ-Hang from
time to time at HamFests, and usually end up getting a couple free
weights.

Then there is the shot that puts the sinker/weight/projectile over a
limb and hits the next, leaving the weight caught 40 feet off the
ground.

I did that with a "rope saw" this past week end. Tried everything to
get the weight down. I finally gave up, pulled as much nylon rope as
I could reach and then cut it....Naturally the rope recoiled and the
darn weight dropped about 3 or 4 feet. Later in the day the wind
brought it down.

By then I'd put up a 30 foot extension ladder and crawled up and cut
the limb off. That was 4 days ago and I'm still sore.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Old October 8th 03, 12:42 PM
Martin

One variation I saw was very memorable. One of the fellows brought a
hunting crossbow to field day back in the 60's. The line took off into the
blue yonder over a stand of 70-80 foot trees pulling some 200 yards of line
off the reel. Never found any of the sinkers or lines he lost.

"Williams" wrote in message
If I'd had a nickel for everything I invented, but never followed up on,
I'd be able to afford a new 1S4 for my QRP rig.

Over the years, there have been many variations on this theme and all
probably worked about the same. ...................

By the way, when the salesman tells you these thing work really, really
well from a "projectile" perspective and recommends that you practice a
few times in the wide open spaces until you figure out what the "lob"
is, take them at their word. ...........................
73, Dave

Dave Williams - K7HMP/4
Stafford, Virginia

Martin wrote:

om...

Old October 8th 03, 06:46 PM
Dave Platt

One variation I saw was very memorable. One of the fellows brought a
hunting crossbow to field day back in the 60's. The line took off into the
blue yonder over a stand of 70-80 foot trees pulling some 200 yards of line
off the reel. Never found any of the sinkers or lines he lost.

Ummm. The fact that the bolt was labeled "SNARK" might have given some
warning of this, I suppose...

--
Dave Platt AE6EO