Old September 16th 03, 12:38 PM
William E. Sabin

Jack Smith wrote:

Bill:

Your March 1995 QEX article says that you prepared an accompanying
construction article for QST. I haven't been able to find it in '95,
96 or '97 QST editions. Was it published? If so, when?

Jack K8ZOA

I did not write a construction article, but QEX
for May 1995 has an article on the design of the
transformers for the directional coupler. Actual
construction articles have been described in ARRL
Handbook and Antenna Book editions.

Bill W0IYH

Old September 16th 03, 12:58 PM
Jack Smith

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:38:21 -0500, "William E. Sabin"
sabinw@mwci-news wrote:

Jack Smith wrote:

Bill:

Your March 1995 QEX article says that you prepared an accompanying
construction article for QST. I haven't been able to find it in '95,
96 or '97 QST editions. Was it published? If so, when?

Jack K8ZOA

I did not write a construction article, but QEX
for May 1995 has an article on the design of the
transformers for the directional coupler. Actual
construction articles have been described in ARRL
Handbook and Antenna Book editions.

Bill W0IYH

Found it. As usual, an excellent piece of work!

Jack K8ZOA

Old September 17th 03, 08:08 PM
Richard Harrison

Richard Clark wrote:
"Has anyone here actually measured SWR without using a diode?"

I did something similar and could have used the same rig to measure SWR
in a feedline.

I used a wire loop which included a thermoammeter suspended from a
horizontal antenna element. I pulled this along the element to measure
its current distribution using a long tow rope and a telescope.

Pulled along a transmission line wire, this would have produced the
currents at the minima and maxima along the wire. From these we could
calculate SWR.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old September 17th 03, 09:32 PM
M. J. Powell

In message ,
Richard Harrison writes
Richard Clark wrote:
"Has anyone here actually measured SWR without using a diode?"

I did something similar and could have used the same rig to measure SWR
in a feedline.

I used a wire loop which included a thermoammeter suspended from a
horizontal antenna element. I pulled this along the element to measure
its current distribution using a long tow rope and a telescope.

Pulled along a transmission line wire, this would have produced the
currents at the minima and maxima along the wire. From these we could
calculate SWR.

This was a common task for the students at Marconi College in the 50's.

The meter was read with binoculars.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Old September 17th 03, 10:26 PM
Richard Harrison

Mike Powell wrote:
"This was a common task fot the students at Marconi College in the
`50`s."

The student practice had a commercial application. It was in the same
decade but at a different locale. It was during the tune-up of a SW
broadcast curtain array near Lisbon, Portugal.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

How a Bird works JGBOYLES Antenna 13 August 1st 03 06:52 AM
Cecil's Math a Blunder? Jim Kelley Antenna 23 July 28th 03 10:51 AM