Old September 17th 03, 01:29 AM
Pat MacKinnon

Default Populating my tower from scratch... need opinions on antennas.

Okay, here's the situation:

I moved, I took my tower with me, and just poured and set the base into
10,800 pounds of high strength concrete. (4'x4'x5')

So, I have 45' to the thrust bearing, a Yaesu '800 SDX rotor, and a TH3JR so
far. I have four 10' copper ground rods pounded into the bottom corners of
the hole and double clamped to separate runs of 2/0 copper running up each
corner. The rods and cables were covered in clay before the pour, so they
are not encased in concrete but rather beside it so as to not have it split
in the eventual occurrence of a strike. (I live on some of the highest turn
in the city.)

Anyway, I have the TH3JR for HF, and I will use a G5RV for 40/80/160. I
bought the TH3 a few years ago and its been stored in the garage attic for a
few years.

All feed lines will be 9913 and 9914 except for the 23cm feed which will be
7/8" hardline.

I am in a city, and the tower is 10' from the lot line, so I have to keep it
reasonable. Above the HF, I wish to mount a multipurpose yagi. I'm looking
at two antennas from Cushcraft:

The A6270-13S (6m, 2m, 70cm beam, 5V elements on 2 & 70, 3H elements on 6m)

and the ASL-670 (6m, 2m, 70cm log periodic, all in one plane, V or H as
mounted.)

Anyone have experience on these units?

Above this will be a 900MHz yagi, and finally at the top of the mast will be
a Diamond X-6000 or X-7000 for my local 2m/70 contacts, and the 23cm for the
repeater which will be housed at the QTH.

So, back to the multipurpose Cushcraft... anyone love/hate either of these?
Any other suggestions on what to install or avoid?

Thanks!
Pat, VE3PMK

Old September 17th 03, 03:40 PM
Dennis Kaylor

hey pat
i have heard several of those cushcraft yagis on 6 meters and they do okay
guess it all depends on what you want to do with the antennas if you
want to do SSB on 2 and 440 then the log would do you better cause you
can have them all horizontally polarized
if you want to use VHF/UHF for FM and SSB on 6 i would suggest getting
the yagi
now if you want to do FM on 6 i would suggest getting the comet GP15
which covers 6-2-440 for FM and get the Log for SSB
good luck

Old September 18th 03, 12:56 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Pat MacKinnon" wrote in message
Okay, here's the situation:

All feed lines will be 9913 and 9914 except for the 23cm feed which will

be
7/8" hardline.

Make sure the 9913 (I don't know about 9914) is run so that if water gets in
at the antenna end, it will drain back out the same way. Once 9913 gets
water in one end, it WILL act like a hose, since it is semi hollow on the
inside. The 9913 FLEX is OK.

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 20th 03, 02:53 AM
Je Forget

9913 acting as a hose!
Good point, I'll make sure all feeds go up a few inches before looping down.

EXCELLENT SUGGESTION!

Thanks!

PS:9914 is just like 9913 except the dielectric is solid foam, no teflon/air
helix, therefore more water resistant.

Pat
--
Reply address is:

papa mike kilo (figures: too zeero zeero three)
AT
foxhollow
ca

Sorry for the munging folks, but there it is.

Pat