Old September 17th 03, 11:29 PM
Fumper

Default LOOKING WTB HF discone antenna

I am looking for an HF discone 0 to 30 MHZ antenna. Any Ideas?
Steve
Old September 18th 03, 12:07 AM
Dale Parfitt

Fumper wrote:

I am looking for an HF discone 0 to 30 MHZ antenna. Any Ideas?
Steve

Gets a tad big at 0 MHz.

Dale W4OP

Old September 18th 03, 12:09 AM
Caveat Lector

Such an antenna will be huge, see ARRL Antenna Book (17th Edition).
Example: It states a 3.5 MHz to 28 MHz discone would be 75 feet high and
huge circular areas above and below as well.

But from 7 MHz to 28 MHz, an HF discone would be about 36 feet high and the
above circular portion about 26 feet.
Still a big fella.

Construction details are given in the ARRL Antenna Book - mine is 16th
edition
Photos included

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 18th 03, 12:48 AM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:09:57 -0700, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

But from 7 MHz to 28 MHz, an HF discone would be about 36 feet high and the
above circular portion about 26 feet.
Still a big fella.

Construction details are given in the ARRL Antenna Book - mine is 16th
edition
Photos included

A better, comparative source may be found at:
http://www.qsl.net/kb7qhc/antenna/Discone/discone.htm

It hardly equals a construction project, which is quite difficult in
fact (building the disc of the discone), but it does offer a
significant appreciation of the simple design aspect of how to flare
the cone part of the discone.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 18th 03, 05:16 AM
Crazy George

Model 230 from Antenna Products. (817) 325-3301

TCI makes one also, but I can't lay my hands on the catalog at the moment.
Call them at (415) 961-9180 and ask for their HF inverted cone.

Telex/HyGain also sold one, but I think they discontinued it a few years
back. Might look them up and try there also, theirs were always a few
thousand dollars cheaper than TCI, Granger or Antenna Products.

--
Crazy George
Remove NO and SPAM from return address

Old September 18th 03, 10:50 AM
Ed Price

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

Fumper wrote:

I am looking for an HF discone 0 to 30 MHZ antenna. Any Ideas?
Steve

Gets a tad big at 0 MHz.

Dale W4OP

Far-field is really, really far out, and the efficiency is pretty bad too.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old September 18th 03, 06:58 PM
Caveat Lector

Bet the HOA will love this one! 1.9 to 32 MHz --- 122 feet high -- hmmmm

Still haven't seen one down to zero Mega hertz -- Hi Hi

A more practical one (barely) ARRL Antenna Handbook
16th or 17th Edition
See 40M to 10M discone --- 30 some feet high

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All
"J. McLaughlin" wrote in message
TCI has a cone antenna that will do the job.
http://www.tcibr.com/PDFs/550webs.pdf

73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

Old September 18th 03, 07:29 PM
Dave VanHorn

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
newsnmab.143125$kP.131378@fed1read03...
Bet the HOA will love this one! 1.9 to 32 MHz --- 122 feet high -- hmmmm

wait till december, call it a christmas tree with halo.

Old September 18th 03, 10:27 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Fumper wrote:

I am looking for an HF discone 0 to 30 MHZ antenna. Any Ideas?
Steve

Gets a tad big at 0 MHz.

Dale W4OP

You got that right. Had two of them at the SAC Fasttalk site I was at.
Think they stood 80 foot tall and took up couple of acres.

Dan/W4NTI