RadioBanter

-   -   Smith Chart Quiz (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/461-smith-chart-quiz.html)

Radio913 September 20th 03 04:58 PM

Smith Chart Quiz

Hi,

I've just become aware of the answers to these questions, but i thought i
might see if anyone agrees/disagrees with me.

What is the center of the Smith Chart when characteristic impedance
Zo= 50 + j50?

And what will the complex series impedance be for Rho = -1 in this case?

(Hint: it will NOT be a short!)

Slick (Garvin)

Cecil Moore September 20th 03 06:53 PM

Radio913 wrote:
What is the center of the Smith Chart when characteristic impedance
Zo= 50 + j50?

I suspect that the standard Smith Chart is incapable of handling
a Z0 = 50 + j50. On the standard Smith Chart, would the center of
the SWR spiral be 1 + j for a Z0 = 50 +j50? If so, that would make
for some interesting impedance transformations.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tom Bruhns September 22nd 03 03:04 AM

It's even easier than that. Using the _definition_ of reflection
coefficient, rho = Vr/Vf, we see that Vr=-Vf and therefore the net
line voltage at that point is zero (that is, Vf+Vr, or Vf-Vf, or
zero). That's either a real short or a virtual short.

Cheers,
Tom

"David Robbins" wrote in message ...

lets see...

rho = (Z - Zo)/(Z + Zo)
if rho = -1 then

-1=(Z-Zo)/(Z+Zo)
or
-1*(Z+Zo)=(Z-Zo)
or
-Z - Zo = Z - Zo
or
-Z = Z
the only value i know that satisfies that is zero.
lets substitute it back in to be sure...
-1=(0-(50+j50))/(0+(50+j50))
-1=(-50-j50)/(50+j50)
-1=-1(50+j50)/(50+j50)
-1=-1 qed.

Tom Bruhns September 24th 03 06:06 PM

I trust we can all agree that the definition of rho is rho=Vr/Vf, and
I trust we can all agree that on a TEM line, the net voltage
Vnet=Vr+Vf. If the net voltage is zero (i.e. at a short circuit),
then clearly Vr=-Vf, and rho=-Vf/Vf=-1. Then whatever formula you
chose to use to find rho at a load from the load impedance, Zload, and
the line characteristic impedance, Zo, better work out right for a
short circuit termination. Note that "rho=(Zload-Zo*)/(Zload+Zo)"
does NOT work for that simple case, unless Zo*=Zo. But
"rho=(Zload-Zo)/(Zload+Zo)" does work. You can easily go through
something similar for an open circuit load. Note that rho=-1 for a
short circuit load, and rho=+1 for an open circuit load, independent
of line impedance.

Cheers,
Tom

Dave Shrader September 24th 03 06:35 PM

Hmmm ... Tom rho also equals Ir/If. Now if the line is open circuited
.... the net current is zero (i.e. at an open circuit). Therefore Ir =
-If, and rho is a -1.

Comment?

Tom Bruhns September 25th 03 04:25 AM

Hi Dave (and lurkers),

Well, if rho=Ir/If, then the net current on the line is If-Ir, NOT
If+Ir. You have to be careful about directions, and be careful to
define things and stick with those definitions. I usually use
Zo=Vf/If=-Vr/Ir, so that Ir and If measure "positive" in the same
physical direction along the line, and then of course
rho=Vr/Vf=-Ir/If. If that's at all hazy, just draw a picture and it
should be clear. Anyway, rho=+1 at a point of zero net current,
either way you define the current direction, and rho=-1 at a point of
zero net voltage. No Smith chart, and no Zo, needed to figure that
out.

Cheers,
Tom

Jim Kelley September 25th 03 11:41 PM

Hi Tom,

Since rho represents the fraction of forward power that is reflected,
what does a negative value for rho indicate?

Thanks,

Jim AC6XG

Dave Shrader September 26th 03 12:05 AM

Tom, rho^2 represents the fraction of forward power that is reflected.

The squaring function produces a positive value.

Rho represents the percentage of voltage or current. Rho^2 is the power
function.

Dave

Jim Kelley September 26th 03 12:24 AM

Ur right, thanks Dave. I meant to say voltage rather than power. Let
me ask the question properly.

Tom,
Since rho represents the fraction of forward voltage that is reflected,
what does a negative value for rho indicate?

Thanks and 73,

Jim AC6XG

Roy Lewallen September 26th 03 01:43 AM

The voltage reflection coefficent, sometimes designated uppercase gamma,
sometimes lowercase rho, is the ratio of the reflected voltage to
forward voltage. It doesn't represent power at all, and you have to make
some assumptions of questionable validity to try and associate it with a
power.

People who like to speak of "forward power" and "reverse power"
calculate that the ratio of "reverse power" to "forward power" is equal
to the square of the magnitude of the voltage reflection coefficient,
providing that the characteristic impedance of the line is assumed to be
purely real.

The reflection coefficient is a complex number, so it isn't restricted
to "positive" and "negative", but can have any phase angle. Its
magnitude, like the magnitude of any complex number, is a real number,
so is square is always positive. (Complex numbers can be written with a
negative magnitude, but this isn't commonly done. If it were, though,
the square of the magnitude would still be positive.) Incidentally, the
magnitude of the reflection coefficient is also often designated as
lowercase rho, so any question about "rho" is unclear unless you say
whether you're talking about the complex reflection coefficient or just
its magnitude.

The complex reflection coefficient can have a value of exactly -1, or a
magnitude of 1 with a phase angle of 180 degrees. This simply means that
the reflected voltage is equal in magnitude to the forward voltage, and
exactly out of phase with it. The sum of forward and reflected voltage
has to equal the total voltage at any point along the line. If you
terminate a line with a short circuit, the reflection coefficient is -1
and the forward and reverse voltages at the end of the line are equal
and opposite, so they add up to zero. Which is the voltage you have at a
short circuit.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Tom Bruhns September 26th 03 02:58 AM

The short answer is that you'd use the magnitude of rho, not its
complex value, to find the magnitude of Vr in terms of the magnitude
of Vf, and from that, the relative value of the powers.

So I suppose you'll get the same values for rho=+1 and rho=-1, since
the magnitude is +1 in both cases. Beware of how you do the calcs:
rho=+j, rho=-j, and rho=(1+j)/sqrt(2) all should also give you
|rho|=1.

But I'll leave the power calcs to you. Resolving things into "forward
power" and "reflected power" for steady-state excitation really
doesn't do a thing for me. I want to know the load presented to the
source, and the power delivered to the line by the source and to the
load by the line, and perhaps some other things like power dissipation
as a function of distance along the line, but I can't think of any
reason why I'd care about "f.p." or "r.p." Now what happens during
transient situations is a completely different story.

Cheers,
Tom

Cecil Moore September 26th 03 03:20 AM

Cecil Moore September 26th 03 03:28 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Since rho represents the fraction of forward voltage that is reflected,
what does a negative value for rho indicate?

rho = +1 means there is a zero degree phase shift in the reflected voltage.

rho = -1 means there is a 180 degree phase shift in the reflected voltage.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jim Kelley September 26th 03 04:37 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Jim Kelley wrote:
Since rho represents the fraction of forward voltage that is reflected,
what does a negative value for rho indicate?

rho = +1 means there is a zero degree phase shift in the reflected

voltage.

rho = -1 means there is a 180 degree phase shift in the reflected voltage.

So in other word the sign sometimes indicates phase, and other times
indicates a direction in propagation depending on which hand is waving..
Thanks.

73, Jim AC6XG

Cecil Moore September 26th 03 05:25 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
rho = +1 means there is a zero degree phase shift in the reflected voltage.

rho = -1 means there is a 180 degree phase shift in the reflected voltage.

So in other word the sign sometimes indicates phase, and other times
indicates a direction in propagation depending on which hand is waving..
Thanks.

Consider the equation, rho = (ZL-Z0)/(ZL+Z0). If ZLZ0, then the
voltage reflection coefficient is positive and there is no reflected
voltage phase shift. If ZLZ0, then the voltage reflection coefficient
is negative and there is a 180 degree phase shift in the reflected
voltage. The same holds true for the E-field of reflected light.

The RF reflected current convention differs from the reflected light
H-field convention. Kirchhoff's current convention enters into the sign
of the reflected RF current where no such convention exists for light.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Tarmo Tammaru September 26th 03 05:54 PM

Jim,

Take the sign of rho literally. For instance, if Zl=0, a short circuit,
rho=-1; therefore, at the termination, V=V+ +(- V+) = 0. If Zl= open, then
rho=+1, and V= V+ + V+ =2V+

Tam/WB2TT

Jim Kelley September 26th 03 06:21 PM

Yes, Cecil. I have considered it, and I agree. It just bothers me when
people forget what the minus sign means, and try using it to make
unrealistic claims.

73, Jim AC6XG

Cecil Moore wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Consider the equation, rho = (ZL-Z0)/(ZL+Z0). If ZLZ0, then the
voltage reflection coefficient is positive and there is no reflected
voltage phase shift. If ZLZ0, then the voltage reflection coefficient
is negative and there is a 180 degree phase shift in the reflected
voltage. The same holds true for the E-field of reflected light.

The above assumes ZL and Z0 to be real numbers. The light index
of refraction is usually a real number.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Cecil Moore September 26th 03 06:53 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Yes, Cecil. I have considered it, and I agree. It just bothers me when
people forget what the minus sign means, and try using it to make
unrealistic claims.

At least for real Z0's, it should be consistent. Wouldn't
a rho of 0.5 at 20 degrees would be the same as a rho of
-0.5 at 200 degrees?
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Roy Lewallen September 26th 03 07:22 PM

No. The voltage reflection coefficient is the ratio of two voltages, and
has nothing to do with their directions. The reverse voltage wave is
always traveling toward the source. The forward voltage wave is always
traveling toward the load. The angle of the reflection coefficient is
the relative phases of these two at the point the reflection coefficient
is being evaluated. It makes sense to speak of the reflection
coefficient as having a "sign" only in the two special cases of zero and
180 degree angles. Otherwise, it has an angle, not a positive or
negative "sign".

The current reflection coefficient is a little more ambiguous because of
the freedom of defining which direction represents positive flow of Ir.
If Ir is defined to be positive toward the load (the more common
definition), then the current reflection coefficient, Ir/If = -Vr/Vf. If
it's defined to be positive toward the source, then Ir/If = Vr/Vf.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Richard Clark September 26th 03 08:12 PM

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:53:50 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:
At least for real Z0's, it should be consistent. Wouldn't
a rho of 0.5 at 20 degrees would be the same as a rho of
-0.5 at 200 degrees?

Hi Cecil,

The Reflection Coefficient is a characteristic of the Load or Source,
not a value projected all along the line. This is the teaching of
Chipman that you undoubtedly speed-read past on your way to the
cut-and-paste opportunities you sought.

When are you going to ride your bike back to the library to fill all
these shortfalls of his teachings you so liberally sprinkle your
missives with?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 26th 03 08:35 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
The Reflection Coefficient is a characteristic of the Load or Source,
not a value projected all along the line. This is the teaching of
Chipman that you undoubtedly speed-read past on your way to the
cut-and-paste opportunities you sought.

For lossless transmission lines, |rho| = Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd). You don't
even need to know the load and/or source impedances.

When are you going to ride your bike back to the library to fill all
these shortfalls of his teachings you so liberally sprinkle your
missives with?

Just as soon as I am over my sinusitis and have a day off.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Richard Clark September 26th 03 09:50 PM

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:35:33 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

For lossless transmission lines, |rho| = Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd). You don't
even need to know the load and/or source impedances.

Hi Cecil,

How did you get a -1 out of your |rho|? Take a box of kleenex on
your bike ride to the library - your logic is dribbling.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 27th 03 05:15 AM

Richard Clark wrote:

wrote:
For lossless transmission lines, |rho| = Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd). You don't
even need to know the load and/or source impedances.

How did you get a -1 out of your |rho|?

I probably should have said rho^2 = Pref/Pfwd. When Pref = Pfwd,
rho can be plus or minus one. I used |rho| to indicate a magnitude,
sans phase angle, not an absolute value.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tom Bruhns September 27th 03 05:26 AM

Jim Kelley wrote in message ...
Ur right, thanks Dave. I meant to say voltage rather than power. Let
me ask the question properly.

Tom,
Since rho represents the fraction of forward voltage that is reflected,
what does a negative value for rho indicate?

Jim,

I suppose your question has been answered sufficiently (Thanks, Roy,
Cecil and Tam), but I'd like to offer a bit different viewpoint than
is implied by your "fraction that is reflected."

I prefer to think of it not as "a fraction that's reflected" but
rather as a resolution of a particular voltage and current into two
modes. There are two modes of propagation supported by TEM line, one
in each direction along the line. If you excite a line to
steady-state at one frequency, there will be some sinusoidal current
at each point along the line, and some sinusoidal voltage across the
line at each point along its length. (You can have a load at one end
and a source at the other, or two sources each with its own internal
impedance, one at each end, so long as they are on the same
frequency.) That set of voltages and currents can be resolved
mathematically into two components, one corresponding to the mode of
propagation in one direction and one corresponding to the mode in the
other direction. Rho is simply a number representing that resolution
at the point on the line where that rho is measured (or calculated).
It's a complex number because it represents both phase and amplitude.

(Note that our resolution of measured voltage and current into the two
modes generally assumes that we know the line's Zo, and the degree to
which we don't know that will introduce an error in our determination
of rho. But that's a whole 'nuther topic...)

Cheers,
Tom

Tom Bruhns September 27th 03 03:56 PM

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Wouldn't
a rho of 0.5 at 20 degrees would be the same as a rho of
-0.5 at 200 degrees?

Yes, and any other complex quantity would likewise be the same
expressed either way. But it would certainly be confusing to the
readers. It would be much better to stick with rectangular or with
polar and not mix them in the same quantity. Of course, sometimes one
is easier to work with, or offers more insight, than the other and
you're welcome to convert between them at any time.

Let's see if we can keep it more along the lines of 0.5 at 20 degrees
being (very nearly) the same as .4698+j.1710

Cheers,
Tom

Richard Clark September 27th 03 09:53 PM

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:15:44 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:

wrote:
For lossless transmission lines, |rho| = Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd). You don't
even need to know the load and/or source impedances.

How did you get a -1 out of your |rho|?

I probably should have said rho^2 = Pref/Pfwd. When Pref = Pfwd,
rho can be plus or minus one. I used |rho| to indicate a magnitude,
sans phase angle, not an absolute value.

Hi Cecil,

You obviously don't respect/know the difference between a dependant
variable (rho) and independent variables (P).

Rho is a dependency of the interface, not a translatable value you are
forcing illogic to perform. You really need to ride your bike to the
library more and offer these poor examples less. Since Rho is the
dependant variable, even squared (for you to force a -1 into this
charade) requires a concurrent observance of a negative in the right
hand side (negative power - perhaps if you were in a black hole).

The long and short of it is that this confirms Jim's observance of
your forced math serving your canards rather than logic. Oh, and
please stop offering and polluting Chipman as a resource when you've
only copied one page.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 27th 03 10:34 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
Since Rho is the
dependant variable, even squared (for you to force a -1 into this
charade) requires a concurrent observance of a negative in the right
hand side (negative power - perhaps if you were in a black hole).

You seem to have forgotten some junior high math, Richard. There is
no requirement for a negative anywhere in order for the square root
of a number to be negative. The square root of 100W/100W has two
values, plus or minus one, and sure enough, an open or a short will
cause 100% reflection.

BTW, I copied that page in Chipman with which you are having such a
problem and I don't see the problem you described. Absolutely nothing
said about reflections from the source. In fact, the source has the
same impedance as the transmission line so there are no reflections
from the source.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark September 27th 03 10:57 PM

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:34:43 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
Since Rho is the
dependant variable, even squared (for you to force a -1 into this
charade) requires a concurrent observance of a negative in the right
hand side (negative power - perhaps if you were in a black hole).

You seem to have forgotten some junior high math, Richard. There is
no requirement for a negative anywhere in order for the square root
of a number to be negative. The square root of 100W/100W has two
values, plus or minus one, and sure enough, an open or a short will
cause 100% reflection.

Hi Cecil,

If neither powers are negative, the square root of them cannot
possibly enclose a negative. There is no possibility of Rho being
negative by your description. You should start biking to junior high.

BTW, I copied that page in Chipman with which you are having such a
problem and I don't see the problem you described.

My problem? Quote me rather than give me your tarted up remembrance
of what I said. Clearly your head cold cannot answer for such
consistently unreliable correspondence.

Absolutely nothing
said about reflections from the source. In fact, the source has the
same impedance as the transmission line so there are no reflections
from the source.

Duh!

Cecil, You are going to run your bike's mileage warrantee out by
pedalling to the library for one page copies at a time. Why don't you
spend a couple hours there and read it instead?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 28th 03 04:41 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
If neither powers are negative, the square root of them cannot
possibly enclose a negative.

Huh?????? The square root of +100W/+100W cannot be negative?????
WOW! Sounds like you are letting your personal feelings get in
the way of accepted math principles. Hint: If one of those powers
is negative, the square root will be imaginary.

Cecil, You are going to run your bike's mileage warrantee out by
pedalling to the library for one page copies at a time. Why don't you
spend a couple hours there and read it instead?

I've got page 139, the one you referenced, in front of me. It says
absolutely nothing about reflections from the source. All it seems
to say is that conjugately matched loads accept more power than
non-conjugately matched loads but we knew that already.

Incidentally, pages 140-143 discusses "Transmission line sections
as two-port networks" using the h-parameter analysis. Who said
transmission lines didn't have ports?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark September 28th 03 07:21 PM

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:41:41 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
If neither powers are negative, the square root of them cannot
possibly enclose a negative.

Huh?????? The square root of +100W/+100W cannot be negative?????
WOW! Sounds like you are letting your personal feelings get in
the way of accepted math principles.

Personal feelings, hmmm? You are the one enclosing the statement with
excessive marks, bucko. And I also note that what is enclosed is a
hoot!

Hint: If one of those powers
is negative, the square root will be imaginary.

We can all tell where imagination springs from. Give me better than a
hint of negative power - you obviously didn't embrace it between your
emotional markings.

I've got page 139, the one you referenced, in front of me. It says
absolutely nothing about reflections from the source.

Duh!

Two for Two. You still can't do any better than your tarted up
versions of what you "think" I said? Your ability to find a Google
copy is no better than your cut-and-paste library skills. You can
(and have) spin these fantasies out to 600 postings if you put your
mind to it. Could we at least expect you may actually read Chipman
at some future date?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark September 28th 03 07:22 PM

On 27 Sep 2003 23:16:40 -0700, (Tom Bruhns) wrote:

Now can you children quit bickering?

Whatasmatta Tom? Not getting enough attention?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 28th 03 08:25 PM

Tom Bruhns wrote:
Now can you children quit bickering?

Does it really hurt anything to remind everyone that +1 at 180 degrees
equals -1 at zero degrees?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore September 28th 03 08:35 PM

Richard Clark wrote:

wrote:

Richard Clark wrote:
If neither powers are negative, the square root of them cannot
possibly enclose a negative.

Huh?????? The square root of +100W/+100W cannot be negative?????
WOW! Sounds like you are letting your personal feelings get in
the way of accepted math principles.

Personal feelings, hmmm? You are the one enclosing the statement with
excessive marks, bucko. And I also note that what is enclosed is a
hoot!

Owls are not really all that intelligent, Richard, even if they are
MENSA's mascot. You really should upgrade to parrots if you want an
intelligent bird.

Give me better than a
hint of negative power - you obviously didn't embrace it between your
emotional markings.

By convention, direction can change power to a negative number. That is
positive power flowing in a negative direction. To the best of my
knowledge, there is really no such thing as negative energy as would be
required for negative power.

Could we at least expect you may actually read Chipman
at some future date?

I've got page 139 in front of me. It doesn't say what you said it said.
It says a conjugate match will ensure maximum power transfer.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark September 29th 03 05:20 AM

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:35:30 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:
Owls are not really all that intelligent, Richard, even if they are
MENSA's mascot. You really should upgrade to parrots if you want an
intelligent bird.

I didn't think you could deal with the negative power intelligently.

Give me better than a
hint of negative power - you obviously didn't embrace it between your
emotional markings.

By convention, direction can change power to a negative number.

What convention, Shriners?

That is
positive power flowing in a negative direction. To the best of my
knowledge, there is really no such thing as negative energy as would be
required for negative power.

Thus it follows your negative that doesn't exist in your own formula,
doesn't exist as a figment of someone else's over-indulgent
imagination. I already said as much.

Could we at least expect you may actually read Chipman
at some future date?

I've got page 139 in front of me. It doesn't say what you said it said.
It says a conjugate match will ensure maximum power transfer.

Duh!

You are still at a loss to respond to the post, and instead in your
own tradition of the unreliable correspondent decide to respond to
your own rhetoric. Three for three now. It is painfully obvious you
haven't got a clue what you are answering to.

This is a curious state of affairs where your imagination works
overtime to build these fantasies of power flow signs, and then paint
up these supposed quotes of mine with such pale and weak colors.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore September 29th 03 03:18 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
Thus it follows your negative that doesn't exist in your own formula,
doesn't exist as a figment of someone else's over-indulgent
imagination. I already said as much.

The sign of the reflection coefficient has absolutely nothing
to do with negative power. The sign of the reflection coefficient
is simply a math convention where -1 at zero degrees equals +1
at 180 degrees.

You are still at a loss to respond to the post, ...

Exactly where does Chipman talk about reflections from the source?
As far as I can tell, the concept of reflections from the source
originated with you, not with Chipman.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark September 29th 03 05:29 PM

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:18:39 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:
You are still at a loss to respond to the post, ...

Exactly where does Chipman talk about reflections from the source?
As far as I can tell, the concept of reflections from the source
originated with you, not with Chipman.

Hi Cecil,

You deliberately isolate my complaint, and then entirely ignore it.
Does this give you some insight into you being observed as an
unreliable correspondent? Is it so difficult to search Google to find
the actual post that you claim you can quote from memory (sic)? If
you do find it difficult, what makes me think you have the library
research skills to find any printed material to a citation?

Your inability to quote or follow Chipman's work is equal in the poor
treatment you post in regards to Optics here, a field you are so naive
about, and so terribly unfamiliar with, you cannot even perform the
simplest of field solutions.

This is indeed the price and evidence of your career in binary
electronics.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jim Kelley September 29th 03 06:47 PM

Tom Bruhns wrote:
(Note that our resolution of measured voltage and current into the two
modes generally assumes that we know the line's Zo, and the degree to
which we don't know that will introduce an error in our determination
of rho. But that's a whole 'nuther topic...)

To my way of thinking, rho is entirely dependent upon the impedances,
and the voltages (reflected voltages in particular) are dependent upon
rho. Not the other way around.

73, Jim AC6XG

Tom Bruhns September 29th 03 07:51 PM

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...

Does it really hurt anything to remind everyone that +1 at 180 degrees
equals -1 at zero degrees?

No, and I already agreed with that in another posting in this thread.
Perhaps you missed it. But it's just flat wrong to claim that the
negative value for sqrt(x^2) can be correct when you know that the the
original value of x is not negative: x in this case is the magnitude
of a complex number, and that magnitude is real and never negative.

Not only is that wrong, but it's also potentially confusing to lurkers
who may read into it that the only two values of rho which can result
in |rho|=1 are rho=+1 and rho=-1, and that's wrong. Just do it right
and say that your square root = |rho| = +1 and not -1, because it's a
magnitude, and that rho then can be magnitude 1 at ANY phase angle,
not just 0 and 180.

None of which has anything to do with the two of you continuing to
squabble like a couple of young children.

Cheers,
Tom

Cecil Moore September 29th 03 11:14 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
You deliberately isolate my complaint, and then entirely ignore it.

I give up trying to communicate with you as have most others.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp