Old July 13th 03, 05:33 PM
M Wilson

Default Sunair Automatic Tuner Info / Experiences

Hello...

I am looking to install either a dipole, or just a long wire, and need
suffestions on a tuner. I am running an amp, 700-800 watts out max.
The SGC 235 has a max input of 500 watts (no, I am not lowering the
power, sorry). So, Who makes an automatic tuner that handles 1000
watts, and can be mounted outdoors, at the antenna feed-point?

Sunair came to mind, any info on these, where to obtain, how to
control it, etc? Any others? Harris?

Thanks

MW
Old July 14th 03, 02:29 PM
H. Adam Stevens

A db here;
A db there;
Pretty soon you can tell the difference.
Especially when signals are in the noise and it makes the difference in
communication occurring or not.
Let us know what you find; my only experience with Sunair is in aircraft and
not that much power.
Certainly there must be commercial/military devices.
My preference is a resonant, matched antenna and no tuner.
73
H.
NQ5H

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Interesting. Just the other day, we were told that 10 dB wasn't enough
signal strength difference to worry about, and even ol' "Kurt Sturba"
has said that a mere 18 dB isn't that big a deal. Now here we have
someone who feels that an extra 1.5 to 2 dB is worth considerable
trouble and expense. Just goes to show ya.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old July 15th 03, 02:52 PM
M Wilson

Guys,

While I appreciate the banter, and the points supposedly being made,
might I ask if anyone has an actual answer to my original question?
All I want to do is feed a dipole or longwire without running 250 feet
of ladder line across the yard, so I can cut down on my antenna farm
(Dipoles, etc, all strung up from the trees). A tuner out in the yard
seems like a reasonable solution.

Thanks in advance.

Bill wrote in message ...
Roy, Don't forget that W8JI has said that "extra power" improves the
signal to noise ratio. He has noted that a 1200w output to 1500w output
increase made all the difference in copy vs no-copy. One doesn't hear
this side of the argument very often.

Bill Cook

Old July 15th 03, 02:56 PM
W5DXP

M Wilson wrote:
While I appreciate the banter, and the points supposedly being made,
might I ask if anyone has an actual answer to my original question?
All I want to do is feed a dipole or longwire without running 250 feet
of ladder line across the yard, so I can cut down on my antenna farm
(Dipoles, etc, all strung up from the trees). A tuner out in the yard
seems like a reasonable solution.

SGC has a 500W autotuner. You might contact them and ask how much power
it will handle if it was first tuned using 500W and then the power
increased to ______.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp