Old September 28th 03, 12:26 AM
Spurious Noise

Default Name That Antenna ?

Spotted this on the rec.radio.shortwave NG's
Interesting configuration, so thought I'd post it here for comments.
From Spurious Noise
---
Respond to group and Michael below

"Michael" wrote in message
et...

Hiya...

One of my two antennas is a home brew 200 ft random wire antenna. It's well
grounded and also makes use of a coax feed and an ICE-180 matching
transformer. Most importantly, it's set up and folded more like a piece of
modern art rather then an antenna :-). I've had a number of DX'ing friends
over here to check out my R-75 rig and my antennas. A number of times, we
have also had them bring their rigs over here, including an R-8A and a
Kenwood R-5000. We did some side by side comparisons between radios to see
what was the best DX'ing rig. Although we didn't come up with a definitive
answer about what rig was best, we've decided that for reasons unknown, my
200ft "FRANKENSTEIN" random wire antenna was by far the best DX'in antenna
that any of us have used. Still, I have no idea of what the thing is. I
just strung the thing up.. LOL.

Here is a link to the part on my DX'ing page that has comprehensive info on
"FRANKENSTEIN" including diagrams.

http://md_dxing.tripod.com/hobbyandhowto/id5.html

Does anyone know what the heck this thing is ??? How would you classify
this antenna besides being a work of modern art ??? LOL. There has got to
be a reason behind it's performance.

Any input would be appreciate.

In short.. What the heck is it ???

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

Old September 28th 03, 01:15 AM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:26:10 -0700, "Spurious Noise"
wrote:

"FRANKENSTEIN" including diagrams.

http://md_dxing.tripod.com/hobbyandhowto/id5.html

Does anyone know what the heck this thing is ??? How would you classify
this antenna besides being a work of modern art ??? LOL. There has got to
be a reason behind it's performance.

That is called "anecdotal evidence."

Any input would be appreciate.

In short.. What the heck is it ???

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Hi Michael,

It's a lot of wire that probably catches as many birds as DX. I am
surprised 30 or 40 turns around the chimney weren't added as a loading
coil. I also bet that 3/4ths of the wire could have been snipped off
to no more than 1dB (the hearing acuity of a pre-teen) difference.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 28th 03, 01:26 AM
mike

wrote:

Does anyone know what the heck this thing is ??? How would you classify
this antenna besides being a work of modern art ??? LOL. There has got to
be a reason behind it's performance.

Any input would be appreciate.

It's pretty cool looking if you ask me;-)

mike
Old September 28th 03, 05:01 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

You never can tell what works best. Years ago I had trouble getting decent
FM performance from a Heathkit FM tuner. The antenna that worked best was
about a 10 foot piece of bell wire thrown into a heap behind the couch.

Tam/WB2TT

Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Compact HF antenna (RX-only) for reference in antenna tests? Crazy George Antenna 4 September 4th 03 05:32 PM
Mobile Antenna Question Richard Clark Antenna 3 August 23rd 03 08:07 PM
MQ26 antenna mini-review Javier Henderson Antenna 0 August 12th 03 07:30 PM
50 Ohms "Real Resistive" impedance a Misnomer? Dr. Slick Antenna 255 July 29th 03 11:24 PM