Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 2nd 03, 08:20 AM
Expeditionradio

Nothing subjective about it, Cecil.

The Shootout uses actual measurements with a calibrated receiver system, and a
"level playing field".
:-)
Check out the HFpack website for previous Shootout Reports from 2001 and 2002,
and if you think you could do a better job, Cecil, please join us and show up
at the Shootout to help with the measurements and setup. We would be happy to
welcome you as a volunteer.
http://www.hfpack.com

In the past few years, we have simply measured antennas vs a reference dipole.
This year we are measuring complete systems vs each other.

5MHz in USA has an authorized power limit of 50W_into_a_dipole. The 5MHz
reference dipole has been clarified by FCC as a "free space" comparison for
calculation purposes. Most pedestrian and bicycle antennas for 5MHz have way
more than 3 dB loss. Some of the antennas have 6dB loss or worse.

By the way, only USB voice is permitted on 5MHz in USA.

Bonnie KQ6XA