Old October 11th 03, 03:20 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Default BPL a reality in my area now!

Just found out today listening to a local, reputable radio station that Bay,
Saginaw and Midland Counties in Michigan are going to be "test sites" for
BPL, at least for Michigan. I don't know when it will be an actual reality,
as opposed to being in the planning stages, but will keep current with their
project!

Ryan KC8PMX
Midland, Michigan

Old October 11th 03, 09:30 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Just found out today listening to a local, reputable radio station that

Bay,
Saginaw and Midland Counties in Michigan are going to be "test sites" for
BPL, at least for Michigan. I don't know when it will be an actual

reality,
as opposed to being in the planning stages, but will keep current with

their
project!

Ryan KC8PMX
Midland, Michigan

Go to the sites. Check out the interference. If it's as bad as they say,
write the local commercial radio stations to say they are being interfered
with, write your congressman, and write the FCC.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 12th 03, 12:12 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
om...

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Just found out today listening to a local, reputable radio station that

Bay,
Saginaw and Midland Counties in Michigan are going to be "test sites"

for
BPL, at least for Michigan. I don't know when it will be an actual

reality,
as opposed to being in the planning stages, but will keep current with

their
project!

Ryan KC8PMX
Midland, Michigan

Go to the sites. Check out the interference. If it's as bad as they say,
write the local commercial radio stations to say they are being interfered
with, write your congressman, and write the FCC.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Exactly, must sent in complaints. Or the 'utilities' will say...."we got
very few complaints"

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 12th 03, 01:32 AM
Jim Hampton

Exactly. Also, don't just complain to the utilities as they will still deny
getting complaints. I wonder if they are hiring any of the lawyers from the
tobacco companies LOL

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
om...

[...]

---

Old October 12th 03, 02:34 AM
Robert Casey

Jim Hampton wrote:

Exactly. Also, don't just complain to the utilities as they will still deny
getting complaints. I wonder if they are hiring any of the lawyers from the
tobacco companies LOL

A CC list for complaints:

*Utility company
*FCC (radio, telecom, and cable depts)
*ARRL
*your congresscritter
*your senator
*your state's PUC (public utilitues commission)
*The senators or congressmen who fund the FCC
*Various broadcasters, particularly those on TV
channels 2, 3, 4 (as these are below 80MHz, the
high end of BPL). Also any shortwave broadcasters
in the USA except VOA (they are not allowed to care
about reception inside the USA).
*NTIA (who we share the 5MHz band with).

Old October 12th 03, 02:55 AM
CW

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
*your state's PUC (public utilitues commission)

It's PUD around here.

Also any shortwave broadcasters
in the USA except VOA (they are not allowed to care
about reception inside the USA).

Neither are any of them.

Old October 12th 03, 05:55 PM
Dee D. Flint

"James Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
What does BPL sound like? Can someone post a wav file somewhere so it can
be identified? Is it worse that the Pennsylvania QSO party?

The ARRL website has a recording. It would make things like the PA QSO
party (and other communications) nearly impossible.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 12th 03, 06:36 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
om...

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Just found out today listening to a local, reputable radio station that

Bay,
Saginaw and Midland Counties in Michigan are going to be "test sites"

for
BPL, at least for Michigan. I don't know when it will be an actual

reality,
as opposed to being in the planning stages, but will keep current with

their
project!

Ryan KC8PMX
Midland, Michigan

Go to the sites. Check out the interference. If it's as bad as they say,
write the local commercial radio stations to say they are being interfered
with, write your congressman, and write the FCC.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Ryan, et al, PLEASE coordinate with Ed Hare, ... and don't
"write/contact your local commercial radio stations" UNLESS they ACTUALLY
ARE being interfered with AND you are ABSOLUTELY SURE it's BPL.

It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that any reports/complaints of "BPL interference"
are REALLY BPL ... the amateur community is being accused by BPL proponents
of "exaggerating the problem (so the ARRL can raise money ... which is
absurd ...
if there weren't a threat they wouldn't HAVE to raise money to defend
against it ...).

We CANNOT AFFORD to miss-identify other sources of interference as "BPL"
or we just lend credence to the BPL folks' claim that we're "crying wolf."

I cannot overemphasize the importance of these points.

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old October 12th 03, 06:38 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Please see my previous message about the necessity of making SURE
that any complaints of "BPL interference" REALLY ARE BPL.

73,
Carl - wk3c