Old October 13th 03, 05:14 PM
private

Default BPL questions??

Is BPL still only in a testing phase yet to be approved by
the FCC for a full scale build?

It would be nice if there was a website set up clearly explaining
what BPL is, how to detect it, where it is and will be deployed,
information and .pdf forms to fill out and mail in to complain
to the right people in the right areas of the country.

If I wasn't so lazy and more computer literate I'd do it myself.
Sounds like its something the ARRL should be more active in
doing.

Old October 13th 03, 09:33 PM
Dave VanHorn

"private" wrote in message
Is BPL still only in a testing phase yet to be approved by
the FCC for a full scale build?

Testing only at this point, but quite a few mega$ have been sunk into it
now.

It would be nice if there was a website set up clearly explaining
what BPL is, how to detect it, where it is and will be deployed,
information and .pdf forms to fill out and mail in to complain
to the right people in the right areas of the country.

It dosen't sound like it's going to be hard to find.
Those Wavs and movies on the ARRL site show it about as suttle as a train
horn in a hearing aid shop.

Old October 14th 03, 12:13 PM
Bill

Take your lazy ass to the arrl website and look for yourself. ARRL has been
doing a LOT of legwork on BPL.

or not.

Old October 14th 03, 12:53 PM
W1RFI

It would be nice if there was a website set up clearly explaining
what BPL is, how to detect it, where it is and will be deployed,
information and .pdf forms to fill out and mail in to complain
to the right people in the right areas of the country.

http://www.arrl.org/bpl

The only thing missing are the 'complaint forms.' It is possible to
misidentify non-BPL signals as BPL, so ARRL wants to take a close look at each
report, analyzing the signal in the frequency and time domain, for example,
before reporting it as BPL. I have seen a number of misidentified signals,
either conventional power line noises or other. One ham reported that he was
hearing BPL signals 60 miles away, an impossbility at the power levels used and
the size of the trial areas. (The largest of the trial areas is about 300
homes; most are less than 100 and some are as few as 10.)

If one is in the right area, it isn't hard to find, at least for the BPL
systems that are radiating at the FCC "legal limit." The limit of 30 uV/m at 30
meters translates to S9+ signals several MHz wide.

I drove to Whitehall, PA, one of the trial areas using the Amperion BPL system.
It took me a few hours of driving around, but I found the two 1/2-mile
stretches of overhead power lines in the trial area that has extremely strong
interference.

There are trials or early deployment in the following cities:
* indicates that ARRL has identified the streets/neighborhood involved).
** indicates that ARRL has visited the trial area
*** indicates that other hams have visited the trial area and submitted reports
of interference to their mobile stations
**** indicates a report of interference to a home amateur station

Birmingham, AL
Atlanta, GA
Honolulu, HI*
Boise, ID*
Potomac, MD*, **,***,****
Cape Girardeau, MO*,***
Raleigh, NC*
Briarcliff Manor/Ossining, NY*,**,***
Bethlehem/Hanover, PA*,**,****
Emmaus, PA*,**,***
Whitehall, PA*,**
Manassas, VA*,**,***

It is reported that PG&E may be doing a small trial "in the bay area." A local
Michigan radio station just ran a piece that the service should soon be
available in parts of Michigan. Rumors about possible deployment in Florida
have been bantered about.

If any hams live near the trial areas and can take an HF mobile station into
the area, or suspect they may have BPL interference at home, contact me at
. I can provide more information and a map of the areas
involved.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab

Old October 15th 03, 11:24 PM
Dee D. Flint

"private" wrote in message
Is BPL still only in a testing phase yet to be approved by
the FCC for a full scale build?

It would be nice if there was a website set up clearly explaining
what BPL is, how to detect it, where it is and will be deployed,
information and .pdf forms to fill out and mail in to complain
to the right people in the right areas of the country.

If I wasn't so lazy and more computer literate I'd do it myself.
Sounds like its something the ARRL should be more active in
doing.

They are very active in it. Just go to their website and you can find
reports on their activities.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 16th 03, 05:54 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

That would be Bay, Midland and Saginaw counties.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Ladder line questions mike Antenna 1 September 22nd 03 05:24 AM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM
Two Questions Reg Edwards Antenna 0 September 2nd 03 01:03 AM
INVERTED-L QUESTIONS W5DXP Antenna 25 July 31st 03 01:48 AM
Dipole questions Raphael Clancy Antenna 5 July 18th 03 06:12 PM