Old January 24th 05, 03:39 AM
wb0gaz

Default Painting VHF/UHF base vertical?

Preparing to install a Diamond VHF/UHF base vertical X6000A, and
planning to paint it beforehand to a less visible color (here, dark
green will be better than white).

Is there any issue with this (affecting RF performance)? Does the outer
(fiberglass? plastic?) white jacket have any dielectric characteristic
necessary for antenna operation that would be affected by paint? Any
type of paint to avoid (I was planning Rust-Oleum textured dark green.)
Tks,

73 Dave WB0GAZ

Old January 24th 05, 07:01 AM

wb0gaz wrote:
Preparing to install a Diamond VHF/UHF base vertical X6000A, and
planning to paint it beforehand to a less visible color (here, dark
green will be better than white).

Is there any issue with this (affecting RF performance)? Does the

outer
(fiberglass? plastic?) white jacket have any dielectric

characteristic
necessary for antenna operation that would be affected by paint? Any
type of paint to avoid (I was planning Rust-Oleum textured dark

green.)
Tks,

Select the primer carefully. Rustoleum paints are designed to be laid
over Rustoleum primers over steel. A good primer for steel might be a
lousy primer for fiberglass. I'd check with a body shop which works on
Corvettes for a recommendation on good primers for fiberglass.
Rustoleum enamels over just about any decent primer will work.

73 Dave WB0GAZ

w3rv

Old January 24th 05, 07:42 AM
Jerry Martes

"wb0gaz" wrote in message
ps.com...
Preparing to install a Diamond VHF/UHF base vertical X6000A, and
planning to paint it beforehand to a less visible color (here, dark
green will be better than white).

Is there any issue with this (affecting RF performance)? Does the outer
(fiberglass? plastic?) white jacket have any dielectric characteristic
necessary for antenna operation that would be affected by paint? Any
type of paint to avoid (I was planning Rust-Oleum textured dark green.)
Tks,

73 Dave WB0GAZ

Dave

I have tried to get some idea of the loss of dielectric stuff at RF by
"cooking it" in the microwave for a short while to see if it gets hot. That
may or may not be a method you could use to get more confidance about what
paint to use.

Jerry

Old January 24th 05, 11:37 PM
Ralph Mowery

"wb0gaz" wrote in message
ps.com...
Preparing to install a Diamond VHF/UHF base vertical X6000A, and
planning to paint it beforehand to a less visible color (here, dark
green will be better than white).

Is there any issue with this (affecting RF performance)? Does the outer
(fiberglass? plastic?) white jacket have any dielectric characteristic
necessary for antenna operation that would be affected by paint? Any
type of paint to avoid (I was planning Rust-Oleum textured dark green.)

Here is one recommendation:

Antenna Painting Instructions

The following is courtesy Celwave This is what I received when I asked
them for a recommendation of what to use in refinishing my 18 year old
PD455

Celwave receives requests for advice about refinishing weathered antenna
radomes or changing the radome color for aesthetic
reasons. We do not take a position on any manufacturer's paint. However,
Sherwin-Williams seems to make a product, which
should be compatible with radomes and not interfere with the antenna's
electrical performance. The following suggestions are
not a substitute for detailed instructions and mix ratios provided by the
paint manufacturer.

RADOME MATERIAL (Standard Color)
CELWAVE PRODUCT LINE
1. Spun Epoxy Fiberglass (Blue)
Penetrator Antennas (AxR, BxR
Series)
2. Polyester Impregnated Fiberglass (White)
Stationmaster Antennas (PDxx Omni
Series.)
3. Polyester Impregnated Fiberglass (Grey)
FR CELlite Panel Antennas (AP18, 19
Series)
4. ASA (Grey)
FR CELlite Panel Antennas (AP90
Series)
5. AES/ABS (White or Grey)
US Panel Antennas (Other APxx
Models)
6. Gel Coated Fiberglass Tubing (White)
Marine Antennas (Cel-1, 3 etc.)

Notes:

FOR RADOME
MATERIAL
USE THIS FINISH
#1, #2, #3
Primer and Top Coat
#4, #5
Primer may be required ----

(Top Coat retention may be tested with adhesive tape after
paint dries)
Requires Pre-Treat (Acid Etch) to remove gloss, then Primer
and Top Coat

SHERWIN-WILLIAMS PRODUCTS:

Etch
P60G2 "Wash Primer"
Primer
D61H75 "Polane 2.8 Plus Spray Fil"
Top Coat
Polane Type "HS 2.8 Plus Polyurethane"

SURFACE PREPARATION:

Removal of surface contamination is normally accomplished by using an
alcohol solvent, ethanol, propanol, isopropanol, or
butanol. A ten percent solution of methyl ethyl ketone in water can also be
used whenever stubborn oil or grease is
encountered.

APPLICATION PROCEDURES:

Painting to be done indoors, as the uncured product is sensitive to
moisture. Apply one coat of Polane 2.8 Plus Spray Fil
D61H75 Primer. It is designed to fill and/or hide profile and surface
imperfections on metal castings, structural foam, plastic and
wood. Apply one coat of Polane HS 2.8 Plus Polyurethane Enamel Monochromatic
Intermix Color System F63 Series.

FOR FURTHER S-W PRODUCT INFORMATION CONTACT:

Ralph Stadalman - Product Finishing Representative
The Sherwin-Williams Company
Chemical Coating Facility
3165 Tucker Road Bensalem, PA 19020
Voice = (215) 638-0104
Fax = (215) 638-1008

Rev: #5 10/05/98 DLS

File: PAINT.doc

Old January 25th 05, 12:42 AM
Jim - NN7K

Dave- why not use (it's NOT PAINT, per se), Fiberglass repair material
available at most building suppiy companies, and also body restoreing
kits for cars and boats? Have used this stuff to repair badly weather
checked Green Hornet antennas, and the big advantage is that they also
have color dyes available to "match" the original surfaces color ! This
stuff also has the advantage that it is an epoxy base- not something
that will fade, or flake off in a year or two! It also adds tensile
strength if you are in a bad wx location. Biggest disadvantage is-
once its on, its on (and that includes your clothes, skin, ect! Be
careful applying it, and let it dry totally before trying to
move/install it! as info, Jim NN7K

wb0gaz wrote:
Preparing to install a Diamond VHF/UHF base vertical X6000A, and
planning to paint it beforehand to a less visible color (here, dark
green will be better than white).

Is there any issue with this (affecting RF performance)? Does the outer
(fiberglass? plastic?) white jacket have any dielectric characteristic
necessary for antenna operation that would be affected by paint? Any
type of paint to avoid (I was planning Rust-Oleum textured dark green.)
Tks,

73 Dave WB0GAZ

Short STACKED Vertical {Tri-Band} BroomStick Antenna [Was: Wire ant question] RHF Shortwave 0 February 23rd 04 12:59 PM
Base Closures N8KDV Shortwave 10 January 20th 04 01:39 AM
Poor vertical performance on metal sheet roof - comments? Kristinn Andersen Antenna 23 August 8th 03 11:08 PM