Old January 31st 05, 03:38 AM
Crazy George

"jimbo" wrote in message oups.com...
Conduit sounds like a good idea. Would you use metal or PVC?

jimbo

Well, it depends on a lot of factors. You have to use lubricant to pull long runs of PVC insulated coax through PVC
conduit, while metal is slicker, and sometimes it will pull without. Metal will provide little additional shielding,
and bending big stuff requires special benders, while PVC can be formed with a heat gun and a lot of care. For
individual runs, you could use this corrugated PVC stuff which has become very popular for pulling fiber optics, but I
have never seen it in real large sizes, and it will need to be held down more if it has a lot of turns.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old January 30th 05, 10:12 PM
Bill

jimbo wrote:
I am building a new house. I need two coax runs inside the house for
two uses. First, for 2 meter, 440 MHz dual band. Second for 2-30 MHz
HF. I am considering using RG213/U for both runs. I know this coax is
suitable for 440 MHz on runs less than 100 feet. Would there be any
problems for the 2 meter or HF using this coax? Or are there any
suggestions for this project?

Thanks, jimbo

I did the same thing when I put in the ham shack but I ran 8 runs of
LMR400 cable and also two runs of 8 conductor cable for rotor's.
The outside panel is under the eve of the house and I have another
panel on the wall of the shack.
Tye LMR 400 Ultra Flex is what I used.
Old January 30th 05, 10:33 PM
jimbo

How many of the eight runs do you use at one time? And I guess the
other runs are spares? Did you consider conduit, so you could replace
cables if required rather than spare runs?

Thanks, jimbo

Old February 5th 05, 10:07 PM
Bill

Bill wrote:

jimbo wrote:

I am building a new house. I need two coax runs inside the house

for

two uses. First, for 2 meter, 440 MHz dual band. Second for 2-30

MHz

HF. I am considering using RG213/U for both runs. I know this coax

is

suitable for 440 MHz on runs less than 100 feet. Would there be any
problems for the 2 meter or HF using this coax? Or are there any
suggestions for this project?

Thanks, jimbo

I did the same thing when I put in the ham shack but I ran 8 runs of
LMR400 cable and also two runs of 8 conductor cable for rotor's.
The outside panel is under the eve of the house and I have another
panel on the wall of the shack.
Tye LMR 400 Ultra Flex is what I used.

I have seven antennas up right now so there is only one spare run and
one spare run for a rotator.
I would guess conduit would be ok but for what I have it's not needed.
I can replace a run here by soldering the center and outer shield to the
new piece and pull it through with out any problems, if the cables had
been run other than the way they are now then conduit would have made
things easier.
Old February 6th 05, 09:11 PM
The Masked Marvel

I'd run lower loss coax for the UHF/VHF than RG-213/U, e.g. LMR400, Belden
9913F, etc, unless the run was less than 25 feet or so, maybe 50ft. For HF
thru 10m (or even 6m) though the RG-213 should be just fine. It may be
cheaper though to just buy a spool of the low loss and use it for the HF too
than to buy two types of coax.

Like the conduit/EMT idea (make'm BIG and run a couple). Also, now's the
time to run a *dedicated* circuit to the shack for a 240V amp supply. if not
needed, it could be connected to 120V instead and the receptacle changed,
but power only a single outlet box w/ it so you can easily switch to 240 V
(duplex vs single breaker and new recepticle).

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .

Bill wrote:

jimbo wrote:

[...]

Coax Switch To Switch One Antenna Lead Between Several HF Transceivers ? Gary Antenna 4 January 24th 05 09:21 AM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
significance of feedline orientation Brian Shortwave 6 October 22nd 04 01:43 AM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM