Old October 21st 03, 02:14 AM
Dick, AA5VU

Default Here it is - BPL full rollout in Manassas, VA

The following is a repost from from another newsgroup. Look like
Manassas will have internet via Power Lines. The amateurs in the
Manassas area must have been sleeping to let this pass.

Good luck in the Contest

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message
CHeck this out...

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/S...FMGArticle%2FW
PN
_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031771619197&path=! frontpage

Innovative Web access to shock Manassas
SARI KREIGER

Saturday, October 18, 2003

Manassas residents will soon be the first in the United States
to buy Internet access over city power lines.
The City Council voted unanimously on Thursday to
grant a franchise to Prospect Street Broadband, LLC.,
bringing a year-long preparation process to fruition.

Residents can purchase the service within 120 days of
the contract signing, which is expected to occur
next week, according to Energy Services Manager Brett Massey.
In May 2002, a small pilot group of city residents and
businesses began using the service. A modem is plugged into
the electrical outlet on one end, and the computer on the
other, to gain high-speed access to the Internet.
"They were very impressed by the speed, reliability
and flexibility," said Utilities Director Allen Todd.

Freda Wallace, an administrative assistant with Robert
Loveless Architecture in Old Town Manassas said the
company has been receiving the service since February.
"We've had good service with it," Wallace said. "The
only time it has been down is because of our
equipment, or because they're testing something on
the lines because it is a pilot program."

The Connecticut-based company that received the
franchise will be responsible for the equipment,
connection, monthly billing, advertising and
24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week customer
support. The city will expand the current fiber
network, which is almost complete, update optical
electronics and install and maintain equipment
external to the residents' homes.

"The grantee will be providing most of the capital
of this project and assume most of the risk," said
John Hewa, assistant electric director for the
City of Manassas. "There's very little financial
risk to the city."

John F. Berry, chairman and CEO of Prospect Street
Broadband, said the service is very easy to use and
no special training is necessary. Residents can purchase
the service and obtain access from any city outlet.
"You sign up once and you can sign on at home,
a friend's house, the ice skating rink, where ever," Berry said.

If residents opt for this Internet service provider, they will
pay approximately half of normal high-speed access, as
the tentative service price is $29.95 a month for
residents, and $69.95 for commercial access.
"It will be competitively priced and a quality service,"
said Vice Mayor Harry J. Parrish II.
Wallace said the service was comparable in speed to
any DSL program available. "It's very fast," she said.

And as a fringe benefit, the city can also monitor power
outages through this technology. Todd said the city has
been trying for years to achieve that capability.
Two bids were received on Sept. 8, and Todd said the
city spent a considerable amount of time examining
both proposals to ensure the best outcome for residents.
"We've never had a franchise quite like this before," Todd
said. "We wanted to make sure we had measures that
would protect the services we promise the citizens."

The contract that the council voted to approve calls for a
10-year term, with a five-year extension. A minimum
payment of $24,000 after the first year, and $124,000
after the second and third year is guaranteed to the city.
Initial figures project that Manassas could receive up
to $4.5 million in revenue after the 10-year period.
Councilman Ulysses X. White questioned city staff
about future price hikes, as he was reminiscent of
a similar situation with cable television in the city.
But Todd said with competition available, residents
wouldn't be stuck with high bills and no options.
Rather, this new offer gives residents exactly that -- options.

Councilman Eugene R. Rainville said residents will benefit
from an extra use of the electrical system their tax dollars already
fund.
"Now they can get Internet at a low price," Rainville said.
"I would encourage all of our citizens to at least look at it as an
alternative."
And according to Parrish, residents may receive an added
bonus if enough people patronize this service. "It looks like the
council might have the opportunity to look at tax reduction," Parrish
said.

--------------- cut ------------------

Some Links:

City of Manassas Va:
http://www.manassascity.org/

Manassas Town Commissioners and Board:
http://www.manassascity.org/city_government/index.html

Prospect Street Broadband, LLC: http://www.prospectstreet.com/

Manassas Va ARC (Old Va Hams ARC): http://www.w4ovh.net/
Old October 21st 03, 02:42 PM
Dave Shrader

Are all the Virginia hams asleep?? They should be burying the local
government with protests.

Or, a new strategy may emerge. Wait until the town licenses the service
and then haul them into court for causing interference to a licensed
radio service. Teach the town a lesson!!

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Old October 21st 03, 08:20 PM
donutbandit

Dave Shrader wrote in
. net:

Or, a new strategy may emerge. Wait until the town licenses the service
and then haul them into court for causing interference to a licensed
radio service. Teach the town a lesson!!

I suspect that will be the process. It's kind of hard to file suit against
something for causing interference if it's not causing interference yet.

The first case will be the test. The FCC stands to come out really looking
stupid here - licensing a service that will cause interference to another
FCC licensed service.
Old October 22nd 03, 04:37 AM
Mark

On 21 Oct 2003 19:20:38 GMT, donutbandit wrote:

Dave Shrader wrote in
.net:

Or, a new strategy may emerge. Wait until the town licenses the service
and then haul them into court for causing interference to a licensed
radio service. Teach the town a lesson!!

I suspect that will be the process. It's kind of hard to file suit against
something for causing interference if it's not causing interference yet.

The first case will be the test. The FCC stands to come out really looking
stupid here - licensing a service that will cause interference to another
FCC licensed service.

Exactly! How can the FCC allow known interference to occur to LICENSED
radio services? I understand that BPL is also capable of interferring
with WWV transmissions; maybe you'll have one government agency
fighting another (grin).

The OVH in Manassas is aware of this situation. As with all court
cases, someone has to be "harmed" first before any legal action can
occur. I guess they could always resolve the dispute on the National
Park Service battlefield down the street (grin)...

Mark