RadioBanter

-   -   Low dipole performance question (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/63564-low-dipole-performance-question.html)

Ken Bessler February 4th 05 05:20 PM

Low dipole performance question

As I understand it, my dipole shoudn't work - it's flat
(non inverted V), it's laid out running east / west so
the radiation should be going north and south and it's
only 20-25 feet above ground.

The antenna is a coax fed (no balun), 220' long 80/160
trap dipole.

By my way of thinking, this antenna should almost be a
NVIS antenna.

If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?
--
73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #1055,

Richard Clark February 4th 05 05:31 PM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:20:44 -0600, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?

The enjoyment of such an "impossibility?"

Hi Ken,

The how you are asking for could go by any number of explanations, and
each may sound as plausible as help from Extra Terrestrials. One way
to look at your antenna description (especially with the up front
declaration of no choking) is that you have a top loaded, tuned T
antenna (vertical instead of horizontal) planted in the highest
conductive soil in the U.S.

One could only wonder if you couldn't accomplish what you did.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jack Painter February 4th 05 05:44 PM

"Ken Bessler" wrote
As I understand it, my dipole shoudn't work - it's flat
(non inverted V), it's laid out running east / west so
the radiation should be going north and south and it's
only 20-25 feet above ground.

The antenna is a coax fed (no balun), 220' long 80/160
trap dipole.

By my way of thinking, this antenna should almost be a
NVIS antenna.

If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?
--
73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #1055,
VX-2R & FT-857

fwiw, last night the low bands had phenomenal propagation.

At about 0600z I was copying 2182 khz loud and clear in Virginia Beach, VA
from USCG ComSta Kodiak Alaska, Canadian Coast Guard St Johns, Newfoundland,
and USCG Group San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Cecil Moore February 4th 05 06:04 PM

Ken Bessler wrote:
If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?

Feedline radiation? I once talked to New Zealand
on 40m SSB using a G5RV at 30 ft.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Ken Bessler February 4th 05 06:15 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Ken Bessler wrote:
If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?

Feedline radiation? I once talked to New Zealand
on 40m SSB using a G5RV at 30 ft.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I thought about that since I don't use a balun (I know, I know -
I should). My feedline drops 20' down from the feedpoint then
runs ENE to my house for 40'. I've thought about a balun but
I only use the antenna on 160 & 80 and it seems to work well
so I don't want to mess with sucess.

Buck February 4th 05 06:31 PM

wrote:

As I understand it, my dipole shoudn't work - it's flat
(non inverted V), it's laid out running east / west so
the radiation should be going north and south and it's
only 20-25 feet above ground.

The antenna is a coax fed (no balun), 220' long 80/160
trap dipole.

By my way of thinking, this antenna should almost be a
NVIS antenna.

If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?

YES, It's called Propagation! :)

I was on 75 last night with a similar situation for 75 meters. I
wasn't heard by stations in the southeast, an area I usually cover
very well, but instead had to pass traffic to Illinois to be relayed
to Alabama to be relayed to Kansas. Lots of long skip but I couldn't
talk 60 miles to Columbia, SC.

73 for now
Buck
N4PGW

--
73 for now
Buck

Wes Stewart February 4th 05 11:51 PM

wrote:

As I understand it, my dipole shoudn't work - it's flat
(non inverted V), it's laid out running east / west so
the radiation should be going north and south and it's
only 20-25 feet above ground.

The antenna is a coax fed (no balun), 220' long 80/160
trap dipole.

By my way of thinking, this antenna should almost be a
NVIS antenna.

If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

Am I missing something here?

Yes, it's spelled "Tucson."

And Don is a superb operator.

W4WNT February 5th 05 12:06 AM

Hi Ken,

As you are finding out, "working" is a variable definition. Optimum
antennas would be 6 elements a mike high, but antennas do work at all
heights above ground, and with the help of propagation can do great things.
All my antennas are below 40 feet off the ground and I still make contacts,
including DX contacts, with vertical and wire dipoles and a G5RV.

Good luck and good DX,

Bill, W4WNT

Roy Lewallen February 5th 05 05:32 AM

You seem to be under the impression that an antenna fits into only one
of two categories, "works" and "doesn't work". That's the first mistake.

You also seem to believe that all the power you radiate goes in only one
direction or at one elevation angle. That's the second mistake.

Once you learn a little about the basic operation of antennas, and how
to interpret a radiation pattern, the answer to your question will
become clear.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[email protected] February 5th 05 09:03 AM

Ken Bessler wrote:
As I understand it, my dipole shoudn't work -

I shouldn't either, but I'm too young to retire.

it's flat
(non inverted V),

Best way to have one, as far as ground losses...

it's laid out running east / west so
the radiation should be going north and south

It's *maximum* radiation is going e/w...
Not all of it...

and it's
only 20-25 feet above ground.

Well, at least it taller than I can reach...

The antenna is a coax fed (no balun), 220' long 80/160
trap dipole.

By my way of thinking, this antenna should almost be a
NVIS antenna.

No almost about it...It is...

If so, how did I manage a QSO with K7NN on 1.893
last night? Tuscon, AZ from Wichita, KS on 100w.
EM17ip to DM42li on 160m at 04:00z

The same way I've been working EU, JA, etc, etc using
a 40 ft high dipole on 160, 80......The bands are in
better than usual shape...I don't usually hear JA's
on 160m, with a 40 ft dipole very well...But lately,
I am...

Am I missing something here?

Dunno...If you are, I'm too far away to be a likely
suspect...MK