Old February 5th 05, 07:08 PM
ml

Default copper plate antenna?

i just discovered a part of my roof which is flat, is covered with
copper, it measures about 50ft by 75ft and soldered it's still new so
it shows good w/my ohmmeter

just wondering as it's not grounded, if i tried to tune this up w/my
tuner , how effective would this by on hf??

tnx
Old February 5th 05, 07:35 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:08:42 GMT, ml wrote:

just wondering as it's not grounded, if i tried to tune this up w/my
tuner , how effective would this by on hf??

Hi OM,

This conjures up the Zen of "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

You have this humongous plate to play with, but what is the other half
of the antenna?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 5th 05, 07:35 PM

ml wrote:
i just discovered a part of my roof which is flat, is covered with
copper, it measures about 50ft by 75ft and soldered it's still new so
it shows good w/my ohmmeter

just wondering as it's not grounded, if i tried to tune this up w/my
tuner , how effective would this by on hf??

tnx

You would most likely get better results using the roof as a ground plane
for a vertical.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old February 6th 05, 01:16 PM
Sarge

"ml" wrote in message
i just discovered a part of my roof which is flat, is covered with
copper, it measures about 50ft by 75ft and soldered it's still new so
it shows good w/my ohmmeter

just wondering as it's not grounded, if i tried to tune this up w/my
tuner , how effective would this by on hf??

Great reflector for a NVIS dipole.
tnx

Old February 6th 05, 04:57 PM
Buck

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:08:42 GMT, ml wrote:

i just discovered a part of my roof which is flat, is covered with
copper, it measures about 50ft by 75ft and soldered it's still new so
it shows good w/my ohmmeter

just wondering as it's not grounded, if i tried to tune this up w/my
tuner , how effective would this by on hf??

tnx

You might try it. Use some for of balanced line to the plate.
Connect one side of the balanced line to the plate and leave the other
empty. If you find another piece of metal there such as a gutter or
vent pipe, you might consider connecting to it.

While a balanced antenna might be best, you may find that just the
copper plate works well. In the antenna handbook or ARRL handbook are
end-fed antennas where the balanced line only feeds on one side to the
antenna.

This may not be the perfect antenna, but there is no reason it
shouldn't at least work some. I have loaded up the screen door and
talked across the country. It wasn't my ideal antenna, but it was fun
to play with

Good luck.

Buck
N4PGW

--
73 for now
Buck

Old February 15th 05, 07:07 AM
Butch

It will not work as a rediating antenna. I bet this setup could be
incorporated into an antenna system somehow though. We have some pretty
sharp dudes in this group so if it's possibel that it will assist some
type of antenna, this is the place to monitor.

Butch Magee KF5DE

Ameco AC-1 problem Uwe Homebrew 126 May 9th 04 01:00 AM
Understanding Shortwave Radio Listening and Antenna Design and Construction RHF Shortwave 3 February 13th 04 07:16 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM
What is it that makes auto radio get great reception Ronald Shortwave 4 November 16th 03 01:17 PM