Old October 22nd 03, 05:59 AM
DeG

Default Help Me Out On This!!!

I'm wanting to keep peace within the family.. NO! Extra antennas on the
vehicle..
I want to install a dual band 2m/440 mobile using the AM/FM antenna that is
on the vehicle.. It will be mostly used for receive, BUT....
Other than a duplexer and tuner (s) What is needed to STOP the RF from
damaging the AM/FM radio in case I want to transmit?...
Any help on this??

Old October 22nd 03, 08:33 AM

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:59:09 GMT, "DeG" wrote:

I'm wanting to keep peace within the family.. NO! Extra antennas on the
vehicle..

Sounds like a pretty selfish request to me. Time to fire the
family. Wonder what they would say about an antenna for satellite
radio.

gm
--
Replace x in adr with c
Old October 22nd 03, 01:50 PM
VHFRadioBuff

Forget the AM/FM antenna. It might be ok for receive, but I wouldn't risk
trying to transmit on it.

If they're gonna be like that, then maybe a thru-the-glass antenna is the
solution? Looks a lot like a cell antenna and is rather unobtrusive, plus it'll
be less work then trying to hook the radio up to the AM/FM antenna.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Old October 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Cecil Moore

Bob Miller wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:59:09 GMT, "DeG" wrote:
I'm wanting to keep peace within the family.. NO! Extra antennas on the
vehicle..

Get a mag-mount dual bander. Throw it in the trunk when not in use.

Throw the XYL in the trunk when the antenna is being used.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old October 22nd 03, 07:08 PM
Steve .. AI7W

There are disguised antennas used in the land mobile service that look like
AM/FM mobile antennas. (they're intended for undercover police work).
Try http://www.sti-co.com/index.php
Another, simpler, solution that you might get past the XYL is a 'cell look-alike'
antenna. There a number of manufacturers that produce those.
Steve

Old October 22nd 03, 08:47 PM
Tom Bruhns

"DeG" wrote in message hlink.net...
I'm wanting to keep peace within the family.. NO! Extra antennas on the
vehicle..
I want to install a dual band 2m/440 mobile using the AM/FM antenna that is
on the vehicle.. It will be mostly used for receive, BUT....
Other than a duplexer and tuner (s) What is needed to STOP the RF from
damaging the AM/FM radio in case I want to transmit?...
Any help on this??

Just keeping the RF out of the AM/FM radio isn't too difficult, but
you'll have other issues, too. A diplexer (triplexer?) can be made to
do the job of sorting out the RF, with enough attenuation to prevent
burning up the car radio. -50dB from 10W is 0.1milliwatt, for
example, and it's possible to get better than 50dB attenuation of
unwanted bands. I'm not aware of triplexers specifically for
0.5-108MHz/144-148MHz/440-450MHz, but then I'd just design and build
one anyway (assuming I had decided to do it that way).

I assume your car antenna is a cowl-mounted whip, and not an
on-the-glass one which you might destroy by putting power to it. But
even then, the coax used for car antennas is typically high impedance
(low capacitance) to work well on the AM band. You may have some fun
getting 144 and 440MHz power to the antenna through that stuff, and if
you replaced it with RG-58, the AM reception would suffer quite a bit.
Another possibility is a relay at the antenna feedpoint, but typical
car antennas may not make that very easy.

If I was intent on a "stealth" antenna for my car, for 144 and 440,
I'd consider feeding a window frame as a slot-type antenna. If I was
really rabid about it, I'd think of making a slot antenna in the
sheetmetal, filled with dielectric that could be painted to match the
car finish, but that's a bit extreme for me.

The dual-band mag mount sounds like a good idea to me, or if you don't
need coverage, just a rubber duckie on a handheld.

Cheers,
Tom
Old October 23rd 03, 02:05 AM
'Doc

Hope he doesn't live in New Jersy...
'Doc
Old October 23rd 03, 02:51 AM
Bob Miller

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:59:09 GMT, "DeG" wrote:

I'm wanting to keep peace within the family.. NO! Extra antennas on the
vehicle..
I want to install a dual band 2m/440 mobile using the AM/FM antenna that is
on the vehicle.. It will be mostly used for receive, BUT....
Other than a duplexer and tuner (s) What is needed to STOP the RF from
damaging the AM/FM radio in case I want to transmit?...
Any help on this??

Get a mag-mount dual bander. Throw it in the trunk when not in use.

Or check the mfj site. They have some little clip-on 2m/440 antennas
that attach to your window glass whenever the urge strikes.

Bob
k5qwg

Old October 23rd 03, 04:30 PM
VHFRadioBuff

Throw the XYL in the trunk when the antenna is being used.

The best suggestion yet!
Old October 23rd 03, 04:31 PM
VHFRadioBuff

Hope he doesn't live in New Jersy...
'Doc

It's hard to understand what you're talking about if you don't quote the