Old February 16th 05, 11:39 PM
Caveat Lector

I have one way propagation with my Mother In Law -- all the time
She bellows like an elephant -- neighbors three doors away can hear her
I talk and she doesn't hear a word I say. Frequently QSK's me
Oh well reciprocity disproved.

Oh I can anticipate the responses to this one.

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Old February 17th 05, 12:15 AM
.J.S...

"Caveat Lector" skrev i en meddelelse
I have one way propagation with my Mother In Law -- all the time
She bellows like an elephant -- neighbors three doors away can hear her
I talk and she doesn't hear a word I say. Frequently QSK's me
Oh well reciprocity disproved.

Oh I can anticipate the responses to this one.

Not a propagation problem I think :-)

Mother In Law's just don't come in full duplex , so she cant receive when
she is transmitting continuously...

Old February 19th 05, 12:34 AM
CW

Doesn't work that way.

"Buck" wrote in message

Here is my theory, as unsound as it may be. Think of a station with
100 watts using a TV dish style antenna talking to a person using just
a dipole with 100 watts. The dipole user will hear a much stronger
signal. However, on HF, we don't use dishes. Or maybe we do...

Old February 19th 05, 04:52 AM
Buck

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:34:09 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

Doesn't work that way.

LOL, short - sweet- and to the point.

Thanks

--
73 for now
Buck

Old February 16th 05, 06:35 PM
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:19:31 -0500, Gary wrote:

|First off I don't really believe in one way propagaiton unless someone
|can convince me otherwise ? However, I am curious about a phenomenon
|I've experienced with a number or radios and antennas over the years.
|I've had eveything from a 4 element Yagi at 55 feet to the dipoles I'm
|using now and lots of new transcievers. I work all CW and on occasion
|I'll get a 599 signal report from the other station yet he's barely
|copyable from my end. They all seem to be running the same 100 watts
|or more that I'm using now and are using a dipole cut for the
|frequency in use like I am or a G5RV etc. I wonder if anyone else has
|observed this and/or has an explanation ? This has occured on new
|transceivers too numerous to name over the years. So I know its not a
|problem with a particular radio.

It's just that big circulator in the sky.

Old February 16th 05, 09:05 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:19:31 -0500, Gary wrote:
First off I don't really believe in one way propagaiton unless someone
can convince me otherwise ? However, I am curious about a phenomenon
I've experienced with a number or radios and antennas over the years.
I've had eveything from a 4 element Yagi at 55 feet to the dipoles I'm
using now and lots of new transcievers. I work all CW and on occasion
I'll get a 599 signal report from the other station yet he's barely
copyable from my end. They all seem to be running the same 100 watts
or more that I'm using now and are using a dipole cut for the
frequency in use like I am or a G5RV etc. I wonder if anyone else has
observed this and/or has an explanation ? This has occured on new
transceivers too numerous to name over the years. So I know its not a
problem with a particular radio.

I run 9.5 Watts from a rare'ish grid square on 6m.
Almost everybody else is running 100W or more.
I get 5/9 reports from many, many S-3 to S-8 sigs. :-)
If I give _my_ rpt first, I nearly always get the identical or better
report from the other end.

Seriously, tho'. I've seen One-Way-Is-FAR-MORE-Favorable-Than-The-Other
propagation often -- on HF, and on 6M & 2M SSB.
I don't really believe there is _no such thing as_ one-way propagation.

73
Jones
Old February 17th 05, 12:37 AM
ml

In article ,
Gary wrote:

First off I don't really believe in one way propagaiton unless someone
can convince me otherwise ? However, I am curious about a phenomenon
I've experienced with a number or radios and antennas over the years.
I've had eveything from a 4 element Yagi at 55 feet to the dipoles I'm
using now and lots of new transcievers. I work all CW and on occasion
I'll get a 599 signal report from the other station yet he's barely
copyable from my end. They all seem to be running the same 100 watts
or more that I'm using now and are using a dipole cut for the
frequency in use like I am or a G5RV etc. I wonder if anyone else has
observed this and/or has an explanation ? This has occured on new
transceivers too numerous to name over the years. So I know its not a
problem with a particular radio.

73 and Thanks in Advance

Gary K8IQ

radio waves aren't garanteed a duplex path"" radiowaves are often
unpredictable, it's possible that natural phenom can't prevent or lessen
your signal to someplace, even thou that place comes in good to you

a ton of things can cauz this , i would ask why do you assume that
just because a path opens up to you , that you presume as matter of
fact that a path from you out must be the same?? (even if we presume
your set ups are identical)
Old February 17th 05, 04:39 AM
Roy Lewallen

Three possibilities:

1. One station is radiating more power than the other in the necessary
direction. This means elevation as well as azimuth angle. You may both
be applying 100 watts to an efficient antenna, but one might be
radiating a lot more than the other in the necessary direction. If both
sites have equal noise levels, the one radiating less power in the
necessary direction will have the weaker signal at the other end. This
is probably the most likely reason.

2. One station has a greater noise level. This might be because of
actually greater noise reaching his QTH, or it might be because the
other station's antenna has nulls in the directions where a substantial
amount of noise is coming from.

3. Unreliable reporting. You should take all signal reports with a very
big grain of salt. Different people have very different criteria for
what constitutes an S9, or even R5, signal.

All these can lead to dramatically different reports at the two ends of
the path, with no need for one-way propagation or violation of the
reciprocity principle.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old February 17th 05, 07:20 AM
Gary

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:39:19 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to Roy and all the others that responded and cleared this up
for me.

73 Gary K8IQ

Radio Propagation Information from Your "Remote S-Meter" WebSite RHF Shortwave 0 January 17th 05 02:15 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 December 18th 04 09:34 AM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 December 11th 04 01:14 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 October 9th 04 01:10 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 August 27th 04 05:44 PM