Old February 26th 05, 01:20 PM
Jon

Jim

I live in a similar location to you and have found the 450 Ohm ladder line
to be pretty useless in the wind. It seems to break every couple of months
and I have to keep repairing it. I made some open wire feeder using standard
speaker cable spaced about three inches with the spreaders every meter and
it lasted for several years. For the spreaders I used short sections of
square PVC trunking, drilled a hole at each end just large enough to thread
the wire through then used Superglue to lock them in place. It works just as
well than the commercial stuff but with less loss.

Jon G2FHF

"Jim Miller" wrote in message
I'm putting up a doublet centerfed by 450 ohm ladderline. It will be about
50ft away from the house to the feedpoint of the antenna. We live on top
of
a hill and winds here are often gusting to 60mph. The typical direction of
the wind is perpendicular to the ladderline and I'm concerned about it
whipping itself to death.

The ladder grabber at center of the doublet will be supported by a line
running from the house to a tree so I'm considering attaching the
ladderline
to the support line leading to the house to minimize the whipping. The
ladderline has to come this way anyway. This support line will be
perpendicular to the axis of the antenna.

I briefly thought about threading the house line through the ladder
windows
but that seemed likely to spoil the impedence especially if wet.

Any concerns or recommendations?

tnx
jtm

Old February 26th 05, 02:38 PM
Cecil Moore

Jon wrote:
I live in a similar location to you and have found the 450 Ohm ladder line
to be pretty useless in the wind. It seems to break every couple of months
and I have to keep repairing it.

That's true for the solid copper wire stuff. But
I have used the #14 stranded stuff ever since it
was introduced and it has never broken. AZ and
TX have their share of wind.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 27th 05, 01:15 AM

I've been looking over the options and now have decided to have the
ladder line drop pretty much straight down to an LDG RT-11 remote
tuner. Ladder line will be 22 feet long which will put the RT-11 and
the 1:1 balun up out of harm's way on a treetrunk facing the woods. I'm
going to direct bury coax and use some 18-10 direct burial irrigation
wire for the controls.

This will keep the ladder line out of the shack and also make it more
stealthy neighbor-wise.

Hope to have it all on the air with an /AG call by mid-April!

tnx
jtm

ladder line construction methods? Larry Gagnon Antenna 75 July 5th 20 06:31 PM
Open wire feedlines Doug General 6 December 23rd 04 06:03 AM
ladder line recommendations? Larry Gagnon Antenna 8 June 17th 04 06:14 AM
50 Ohms "Real Resistive" impedance a Misnomer? Dr. Slick Antenna 255 July 29th 03 11:24 PM